Healthcare.gov Chief Resigns

HardOCP News

[H] News
After the whole Healthcare.gov website debacle, who in the world would give this guy a job? Let's all just hope his new job isn't making websites. :D

A key figure in the development of the troubled Obamacare website has resigned. Tony Trenkle, the CIO for the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services, is stepping down, the agency says, to take a job in the private sector. The White House, meanwhile, continues to defend the healthcare overhaul.

She botched her only role pretty badly. I'd say this was a move to try to save a anything left of her career.

so was anyone really... (and i mean really) expecting the government to be able to handle something on this scale?

besides the interstate highway system... I can't really think of a long term project the US government could call a success (unless of course screwing over the general public) in which case they always succeed.

Everything they touch turns to crap... social security, USPS, intelligence systems, money management,

I'm not the least bit shocked by the flat out lie the president got caught in with the "if you like your plan you can keep it" crap. Don't tell me it's the providers fault either, they are having to bend over and touch their toes to be "legal" now.

Fact of the matter is the plans people are losing left and right thanks to obamacare... they were offered because the private company was still able to generally profit while providing the level of coverage desired.

When you say "Healthcare.gov Chief" everyone is going to think you mean Sebelius.

Good, she and everyone involved should also go to prison for lying to the American people.

To bad the person that is actually responsible for this abomination didnt resign.

gty_obama_address_kb_121216_wg.jpg

The sacrificial scape goat. Surprised Obama hasn't thrown Sebelius under the bus. Does she have dirt on him?

yeah, obama cant code for shit :p
He's the big chief and primary salesman of this and the reason its being pushed despite all the red flags. The buck ultimately stops at the top.

You don't blame a foot soldier for Vietnam, you blame the top generals and the president that made the decision to engage and how to carry out the mission on a macro scale.

I still don't understand how the media holds Obama guiltless here, and its funny how they now refuse to call this disaster Obamacare now, lol! Even he doesn't want his name associated with it anymore.

He's the big chief and primary salesman of this and the reason its being pushed despite all the red flags. The buck ultimately stops at the top.

You don't blame a foot soldier for Vietnam, you blame the top generals and the president that made the decision to engage and how to carry out the mission on a macro scale.

I still don't understand how the media holds Obama guiltless here, and its funny how they now refuse to call this disaster Obamacare now, lol! Even he doesn't want his name associated with it anymore.

No no no, you got it wrong. The buck only stops at the presidency if he's a republican.

Well he made our lives better. You know that policy you liked and that doctor you liked? Turns out you didn't like them and Obama knew better and he got rid of them for you. You should be thanking Obama for caring so much about you. He cares so much that he knows what you like whether you know it or not.

EA probably gave him a job, after all, the heathcare.gov launch as gone about as smoothly as the Sim City and BF4 launches. He'll fit right in.

:D

Well he made our lives better. You know that policy you liked and that doctor you liked? Turns out you didn't like them and Obama knew better and he got rid of them for you. You should be thanking Obama for caring so much about you. He cares so much that he knows what you like whether you know it or not.

People can bitch and moan, but the previous system was seriously flawed. Yes, there are parts of the legislation that will hurt people (I had a rate hike for my health insurance). But most of the regulations were absolutely needed.

It doesn't take much research to find a story about a heath insurance company cancelling an age-old policy because that person was "too sick" to cover - putting them into a "pre-existing" condition cycle of no insurance. Or the gouging that companies were doing for pure profit (cancelling a lot of policies to raise the profit margins, overcharging for simple supplies like a cup of listerine, etc. etc.).

Want to know what is F'd up? My dad came down with cancer. He went to an american doctor on his own dime. They asked him if he had $200k to cover the treatment. When he said no, they said that he should get his affairs in order and gave him a year or two - despite it being a highly treatable form of cancer.

Know how he survived? We came up with $35k and took him to another country. He's still alive today because of that. Greed is absolutely 100% what is wrong in our healthcare industry. Too many for-profit hands in the supply chain. They don't give a damn on who lives or who dies, they just want to profit from the journey.

Look, I favored the Republican plan of 15 years ago over "Hillarycare" and "Obamacare" is basically that plan with a few tweaks. I don't understand the hate against providing both health care and opportunities for industries to make profits.

That said, there are some things that bother me.

1. Did this guy (Tony from the article) lie off his ass to Kathleen Sebelius about progress, reliability, testing, etc.? This is probable given how many different contractors were involved. If yes, good riddance and I pity the company who hired him.

2. Did Kathleen never request a demo or any sort of proof that he was meeting his goals? Heck she could have simply tried to log in herself to explore options. If yes, she should go as well. I do understand she was responsible for more than just "Obamacare." But I'm held responsible if my direct reports fail and as far as I'm concerned she shares the blame.

3. Obama very likely received constant updates that all was on track, etc., that had been filtered by everyone at every level. I don't hold him liable for the process, but I do hold him liable for letting Sebelius keep her job.

I must also disagree with some of the posters that "Obamacare" is a mess. The implementation sucked, but the coverage specified by law and the timetables given were actually reasonable and achievable. If you look at states that have implemented it well (such as Kentucky) you see how it should have gone. I'm not excusing the roll-out which sucked, but the initial framework was acceptable.

But Obama needs to realize that Kathleen should to go too. And someone who can not only tell people what to do but also follow up on every step of that process needs to come in and fix it.

Unofficial reports say that Kathleen is generally sidelined while issues are being fixed so this could be happening behind the scenes. We'll know soon enough but for now we're operating under fog of war so to speak.

It is a rare and rather chilly day in Hell when i feel like defending Komrade Obama, but in this case i feel somewhat compelled to point out that, in spite of it being his program, and his administration's general failure, i would foot at least a decent portion of the blame on stupid government policies in place for these sorts of things. It seems to me that government policy required this job to be handled the same way a construction project is handled, doling out the pieces to spread the wealth around to several contractors etc. But software development can't work the way building 10 miles of road does, with 10 contractors building a mile each, for example. There's no oversight in place.

Am i wrong?

It is a rare and rather chilly day in Hell when i feel like defending Komrade Obama, but in this case i feel somewhat compelled to point out that, in spite of it being his program, and his administration's general failure, i would foot at least a decent portion of the blame on stupid government policies in place for these sorts of things. It seems to me that government policy required this job to be handled the same way a construction project is handled, doling out the pieces to spread the wealth around to several contractors etc. But software development can't work the way building 10 miles of road does, with 10 contractors building a mile each, for example. There's no oversight in place.

Am i wrong?

For what it's worth I agree. The president isn't supposed to oversee contractors. That was Kathleen's job and she likely made sure Obama received updates that all was on track.

My best guess is Obama will sideline Kathleen and find someone who understands how to assemble a massive web project make sure it's working in a month. This may have already occurred given rumors that a contractor has already taken control of fixing everything.

Also for what it's worth I disagree with calling any president Komrade or for that matter stupid (a la George W). If you look objectively at Obama's positions on average many would have been acceptable to Republicans of 30-40 years ago. I do hope you drop the name-calling.

w to carry out the mission on a macro scale.

Actually I was watch Fox News earlier this week and Megyn Kelly was slamming Obama and asking one of the persons responsible for Obamacare the tough questions. Which he had no real answers for....

It was pretty brutal and I gained new respect for Fox News...more than I ever had.

People can bitch and moan, but the previous system was seriously flawed. Yes, there are parts of the legislation that will hurt people (I had a rate hike for my health insurance). But most of the regulations were absolutely needed.

It doesn't take much research to find a story about a heath insurance company cancelling an age-old policy because that person was "too sick" to cover - putting them into a "pre-existing" condition cycle of no insurance. Or the gouging that companies were doing for pure profit (cancelling a lot of policies to raise the profit margins, overcharging for simple supplies like a cup of listerine, etc. etc.).

Want to know what is F'd up? My dad came down with cancer. He went to an american doctor on his own dime. They asked him if he had $200k to cover the treatment. When he said no, they said that he should get his affairs in order and gave him a year or two - despite it being a highly treatable form of cancer.

Know how he survived? We came up with $35k and took him to another country. He's still alive today because of that. Greed is absolutely 100% what is wrong in our healthcare industry. Too many for-profit hands in the supply chain. They don't give a damn on who lives or who dies, they just want to profit from the journey.
The number of people not covered amounted to about 15%. After all is said on done, it will have been cheaper to cut them a check to buy insurance for themselves. It didn't require the government to spread its tendrils into all levels of medicine. But now instead of 15% facing financial hardship. Most of us will have a chance to be subjected to a deteriorating quality of medicine.

But I guess when people die and get mamed because of that (and they will) its ok because its the thought that counts.

None of the regulations will matter when the insurance industry goes under, as a result of so many younger people paying the fine because it's cheaper than paying for skyrocketed insurance costs, ultimately burdening the industry with all the new pre-existing conditions they have to pay for and no ability to limit what people run up in bills.

You can laud this bill all you want, but all it has done, and will do, is take a bad situation and make it worse. Congratulations. Hope and change.

Actually I was watch Fox News earlier this week and Megyn Kelly was slamming Obama and asking one of the persons responsible for Obamacare the tough questions. Which he had no real answers for....

It was pretty brutal and I gained new respect for Fox News...more than I ever had.

Even Piers Morgan, lefty of lefties, was hammering a Dem congressman who just kept saying that "the insurance companies CHOSE to end all these plans", even though those plans were now illegal according to ObamaCare regulations, so they had no choice. That's the biggest, most galling lie of this whole thing - blaming the insurance companies for following the law requiring them to cancel tens of millions of policies. One of the greatest political shifts of blame in history.

The number of people not covered amounted to about 15%. After all is said on done, it will have been cheaper to cut them a check to buy insurance for themselves. It didn't require the government to spread its tendrils into all levels of medicine. But now instead of 15% facing financial hardship. Most of us will have a chance to be subjected to a deteriorating quality of medicine.

But I guess when people die and get mamed because of that (and they will) its ok because its the thought that counts.

You're not getting your information from good sources. Every objective source shows that health care plan requirements are increasing. That is, people can make more doctor visits, deductibles have decreased ON AVERAGE, preventive care is included, and so on.

Also, there ARE "checks going to people" - in the form of a tax credit and expanded Medicare coverage.

You need to do some serious research. There are major flaws with "Obamacare" but the standards of care are increasing so that is not one of them. You should focus on the actual problems such as younger people not enrolling in large enough numbers.

However, please note that increased penalties for non-coverage in 2015 and beyond may address that. Per my earlier post we are operating in a "fog of war" and it's very difficult to say what the effects will actually be.

Just pass the bill and find out what's in it. Just launch the website and find out how it handles enormous amounts of data and traffic.

Obamacare is a failure. Sure it helps a certain group of people, however we could have done that in more efficient ways. Try making prescriptions and services more affordable. Improve medicare and medicaid. It would have been much cheaper. Now we're seeing prices go up and lots of people losing the insurance that they're satisfied with only to get a supposedly more "affordable" and "upgraded" insurance... The country can't afford this. Also think of all the tax credits they'll be giving out. Just something else that will raise the deficit. On top of that, in order for this to work we need everyone to contribute. That even means people who are young and don't need health insurance. It's cheap for next year but in the future the fee will be so expensive you will have to enroll. But hey, at least we have 6 more Americans enrolled in a health insurance plan. Don't worry if you need coverage by the 1st of Jan. There will be plenty of time for you to enroll by Dec. 15th so your coverage can begin on the Jan 1st. :rolleyes:

Those are my two cents and I'm done rambling. ;)

Wait.

The NSA can track all web and tel traffic in real time, and the White House chokes on 100,000 html requests?

Anyone falling for that? Lordy.

One of those 2 statements is wrong.

None of the regulations will matter when the insurance industry goes under, as a result of so many younger people paying the fine because it's cheaper than paying for skyrocketed insurance costs, ultimately burdening the industry with all the new pre-existing conditions they have to pay for and no ability to limit what people run up in bills.

You can laud this bill all you want, but all it has done, and will do, is take a bad situation and make it worse. Congratulations. Hope and change.

Ha what a noob you haven't been to America have you, we will just borrow more from China and use it to bail out our health insurance industry.

Think about this.

The .GOV handles millions of on-line tax requests, medicare filing, emails, etc, daily. A lot of traffic.

How could they not know how to handle internet traffic?

Even Piers Morgan, lefty of lefties, was hammering a Dem congressman who just kept saying that "the insurance companies CHOSE to end all these plans", even though those plans were now illegal according to ObamaCare regulations, so they had no choice. That's the biggest, most galling lie of this whole thing - blaming the insurance companies for following the law requiring them to cancel tens of millions of policies. One of the greatest political shifts of blame in history.

No they were not required to cancel the plans, they were requires to bring them up to the legal standard. They made the decision to cancel the plans.

Ha what a noob you haven't been to America have you, we will just borrow more from China and use it to bail out our health insurance industry.

Oh, that will happen. Analysts have already noted that bailouts for the industry are actually covered in the ACA text, so it's guaranteed. The question is how many bailouts and how long it will take before the industry flounders and people start demanding a single-payer socialized medicine program.

...which is what was intended all along.

No they were not required to cancel the plans, they were requires to bring them up to the legal standard. They made the decision to cancel the plans.

So the plans were now illegal, but they CHOSE to cancel them? What was the other choice, breaking the law? That's like saying people choose to pay taxes, which I've actually heard some people assert. The spin is so fast it's affecting the earth's rotation.

Wait.

The NSA can track all web and tel traffic in real time, and the White House chokes on 100,000 html requests?

Anyone falling for that? Lordy.

One of those 2 statements is wrong.

The NSA is decades old and the systems monitoring us today were being developed in the 60s. Bit of a difference.

So the plans were now illegal, but they CHOSE to cancel them? What was the other choice, breaking the law? That's like saying people choose to pay taxes, which I've actually heard some people assert. The spin is so fast it's affecting the earth's rotation.

The other option was to bring them up to standard.

quoting the left media that's up Obama's small colon? :rolleyes:

Back