Internet Addiction: A Real Problem In America?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is internet addiction a real problem in the U.S.? Wasting time on the internet for 12 - 14 hours a day is hardly a problem. Hell, some of us call that a "job." :)

"I still understand it's controversial," Young said via Skype in Pennsylvania. "People say, 'is it really an addiction? Is it not? What's an addiction?' Well, anything obviously can be an addiction when you talk about something so serious that it's jeopardized relationships or careers." She sees it all the time at the center, a 10-day program that costs people $14,000 out of pocket. Insurance companies aren't covering "internet addiction" treatment yet.

10 hours watching TV is normal. 10 hours watching TV in front of your computer is a horrid addiction and you should be institutionalized.

I don't have a problem, I only use the Internet to read Steve's news comments...

10 Day program that costs $14k out of pocket.

some people must be addicted to blowing money

If you can afford to shell out $14,000 grand to recover from some kind of addiction, you don't have a problem yet.

Maybe your name is David Duchovny and you're a sex addict. Just saying.

If I was married to Tea Leoni and was starring in a TV show where I bang women left and right, I'd be a sex addict, too...and so would every other guy here.

Does reading you phone while doing such things as crossing a heavy traffic 4+ lane Blvd count? Or any multitude of activities. If so that's a lot of potential customers!

I sure as shit have an internet addiction. I sit from 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM in front of a computer doing web development for the company I work for. I usually spend at least 20 minutes of my lunch break in front of the computer and probably spend another 3 or so hours every night working on personal projects from home. My girlfriend begs me to spend time with her (read: watch TV or a movie) and when I do, I can't help but use my phone to Google every question that pops into my head or to check my email.

I sure as shit have an internet addiction. I sit from 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM in front of a computer doing web development for the company I work for. I usually spend at least 20 minutes of my lunch break in front of the computer and probably spend another 3 or so hours every night working on personal projects from home. My girlfriend begs me to spend time with her (read: watch TV or a movie) and when I do, I can't help but use my phone to Google every question that pops into my head or to check my email.

Sounds less like internet addiction than being a workaholic. That shit will fuck you up, by the way. Learn to balance before you crash.

It does seem like a problem (like I have room to talk), but it doesn't seem like a $1400/day problem to me.

I'm on the Internet 24/7. I like reading. So what.

I say yes we do have an internet addiction problem in this country. Just poke your head into any restaurants, bars, movie theaters, or any public venue and count the zombies glued to their smartphones.

This is what it feels like sometimes: http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/i_forgot_my_phone/

I'd say their was an electricity addiction, everywhere you go you see people using electricity, heck people even need electricity for their lights these days.

I'd say their was an electricity addiction, everywhere you go you see people using electricity, heck people even need electricity for their lights these days.

I think we have a serious oxygen addiction in this country.

It's rather a moot point, as the end goal is pretty much a 24/7 connection for everyone. If everyone is addicted, then no one is addicted.

This seeking of constant stimulation is a trait of an addictive personality and is nothing new. Before phones and computers it was people planting themselves in front of the TV for hours.

However, I can see how "internet addiction" (among other things) could be a manifestation of obsessive-compulsive disorder or some other mental, behavioral, or stress-related problem. Many people have latent traits but are able to function "well enough" to never seek diagnosis and treatment. Mental illness is a serious issue and is often not portrayed as such by the media and popular culture, so there is a certain stigma attached to it. It is understandable too, many shrinks are just legal drug dealers and have no real idea of what it is to try to help someone.

People typically don't want to think of themselves as "crazy" - so they don't seek treatment. Even if you never lose your shit and go on a shooting spree, there are strong indications that people who don't deal with their stress have significantly shorter lifespans from cardiac problems or other accelerated aging. It may be a mental thing, but it certainly has a real and physical impact on one's life. I really hope society starts waking up on this issue because pretty much everything we do is impacted by it.

It's rather a moot point, as the end goal is pretty much a 24/7 connection for everyone. If everyone is addicted, then no one is addicted.

Sort of like modern psychiatry. Get everyone on something so that the crazy people are the ones who don't take anything.

Spending a lot of time on the internet is fine as long as it doesn't prevent you from doing the other things you need to do. Just because someone does something often does not make it an addiction. I like to play disc golf and I sometimes play up to 3-4 times in a week - am I addicted to disc golf? Should I seek treatment? Of course not. ANYTHING we do can be considered a waste of time, so what does it matter how people like to spend their time? Again, as long as it doesn't prevent them from doing the other things they need to do.

How long can the average male go without sex, or at the very least wanking it?

Does that mean that half the population is addicted to sex? Or they just really enjoy it and get as much as they can? If so, wanting to be on the internet all the time and getting antsy after being a couple days without is not an addiction, its just a normal part of being a dude.

Well I'm supposed to be working out instead of browsing the net right now.....

Could always do the laptop while on a treadmill thing. Treadmills are some of the most boring exercise possible (walking in general is quite boring IMO) and obviously they don't work out all of your muscles, but the laptop might make it not too bad, and at least exercising only some muscles is better than exercising no muscles.

a conversation with my boss the other day:
boss: id like to see you without wifi for a month.
me: wtf did i do to you. it wasnt me with your daughter...........................

i read on the internet that the average american spend 4 hours a day on the internet. i do about 5-6 but i go to school on the internet also. since i started with this site im lagging in school work but they go ahead and call it an addiction if it is so................

Back