NVIDIA SHIELD Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
Techgage has NVIDIA's SHIELD in house for a little review action today. While they say it's not for everyone, the review was very positive and they gave it an editor's choice award.

Are you a portable gamer that’s tired of the restrictions that bog down most handhelds? Based on Android, NVIDIA’s SHIELD portable helps fix that problem. At the same time, it even goes a step further to improve the gamepad solution. At $300, SHIELD is on the pricier side – but is it worth it?

Eh, no thanks. The last handheld gaming system I enjoyed was the original Gameboy.

Nice device; but a bit pricey.

I will probably be buying a tablet for my 8 year old and he is interested in Android games.
Right now I'm leaning toward the Asus Memo Pad HD7. Street price is about $120 now.
Best things about tablets is they are a convergence of several devices. Games, DVD/CD player, MP3 player etc in one device.
This will keep the "are we there yet??" to a minimum on trips. ;)

I played on it at this years QuakeCon.

It was surprisingly comfortable and easy to use. I had fun with it and played on it for about an hour. The spokespeople for Nvidia were really helpful in answering any questions I had about it. I thought it looked really good too and was surprised again at how good everything I tried on it ran.

I like it. Though I'm not ready to spend three hundred for it.

I just realized this might be pretty epic for playing SNES/Genesis games...

Since its Android based...

Will you be able to use the Oculus Rift with it? :eek:

If they'd sell me that controller for my Galaxy Note 3, I'd pay $100-$150 for it.

if the SHIELD would drop to a $199 holiday deal id buy it no question. At $299.........meh, ill keep playing on my PSP

I bought one. I mostly wanted it just for emulators but I've ended up playing as much native games. Especially after they added the button mapper thing, no need to really wait for games to add controller support now. Still lack of great games is its biggest issue. Emulators plus a few very decent games is keeping me busy. But there are few if any games that are really awesome on android. And yeah $300 is a lot, or rather, $300 is a lot if you're not going to use it that much, and lack of awesome games probably means many won't use it enough. But for one reason or another I end up using it quite a bit, so I'm happy.

Well if it can indeed use the Rift and use it well when it comes out, I will buy one for sure.

It looks good and the battery life is better than I would have thought. Not interested in it anyways.

if the SHIELD would drop to a $199 holiday deal id buy it no question. At $299.........meh, ill keep playing on my PSP
I believe NVIDIA will knock off $100 if you buy a GTX 780 or above.

I think you get $100 off, if you buy a 770 as well.
For $200, it seems worth it to me. I will be buying a MSI 780 lightning and a nvidia shield next week.

Nice device; but a bit pricey.

I will probably be buying a tablet for my 8 year old and he is interested in Android games.
Right now I'm leaning toward the Asus Memo Pad HD7. Street price is about $120 now.
Best things about tablets is they are a convergence of several devices. Games, DVD/CD player, MP3 player etc in one device.
This will keep the "are we there yet??" to a minimum on trips. ;)

I saw somewhere yesterday where the original Nexus 7 was $99.00... buy that instead! :)

Back