How to Launder Billions and Billions of Digital Dollars

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy cow, that's a lot of digital dollars! Who knew there was such a thing as "cloud-based search warrants." :eek:

For example, a DOJ attorney signed up for an account with the name "Joe Bogus" with an address of "123 Main Street, Completely Made Up City, New York." Then, when sending LR credits between this entity and another DOJ account put things like "your share of the cashout," "for atm skimming," and "for the cocaine," into the memo field (where you'd put "Rent" on a check). Mr. Bogus did not have a difficult time completing transactions. Neither did users with names like "Russian Hackers" and "Hacker Account."

I thought you were always supposed to put "for services rendered" in the memo field? :p although if I still wrote checks, "for the cocaine" sounds like a fun one too.

I'm so tempted to go set up an account like this and just transfer money back and forth to throw off their spying.

I just saw the best comment ever on that article:

"If you wish to keep slaves, you must have all kinds of guards.
The cheapest way to have guards is to have the slaves pay taxes to finance their own guards.
To fool the slaves, you tell them that they are not slaves and that they have Freedom.
You tell them they need Law and Order to protect them against bad slaves.
Then you tell them to elect a Government.
Give them Freedom to vote and they will vote for their own guards and pay their salary.
They will then believe they are Free persons.
Then give them money to earn, count and spend and they will be too busy to notice the slavery they are in."
--Alexander Warbucks

I don't disagree one bit with the sentiment, but when the source of the quote is unverifiable, it's hard to take seriously.

Since I can't seem to find anything out about the person who originally said that, can I claim it as my own? :-D

In any case, if you look at that second link and read some of what the person wrote, he kind of sounds a little bit crazy.

He put that quote in the last issue of his "newsletter".

In a truly free society, everyone's money wouldn't be tracked by the government.

You really think it's to stop crime? Look how many people get away with identity theft every year?

Sure it's to stop crime. Just because every criminal doesn't get caught doesn't mean that you stop trying to fight crime.

Correction...to stop crime and tax evasion (which is also a crime).

Redundant statement, then...unless you consider tax evasion a special kind of crime.

In terms of morality, I find the punishment for tax evasion to be more of a crime, especially when they end up killing the guy.

Redundant statement, then...unless you consider tax evasion a special kind of crime.

In terms of morality, I find the punishment for tax evasion to be more of a crime, especially when they end up killing the guy.

How many people have really been killed for "only" committing tax evasion? Come on now. I know you distrust law enforcement, but that's ridiculous.

How many people have really been killed for "only" committing tax evasion? Come on now. I know you distrust law enforcement, but that's ridiculous.

How many people have really been killed for "only" any crime? Thank Christ for accessory charges, or we might actually start questioning when government agents use deadly force!

Don't people just use bitcoin for this sorta thing these days?

Yes, according to two groups of people:

- those who don't know anything about Bitcoin
- those who feel threatened by Bitcoin

Yes, according to two groups of people:

- those who don't know anything about Bitcoin
- those who feel threatened by Bitcoin

You forgot a group:
- those who do use bitcoin for that sort of thing ;)

Back