Acer CEO Resigns Amid Financial Losses

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sure doesn't seem like a good week to be a CEO, does it?

Acer chairman and CEO J.T. Wang is announcing his resignation from the PC maker today following further disappointing financial results. Wang, an outspoken critic of Microsoft’s Surface tablet, will step down as Acer CEO on January 1st, but will retain his chairman position until the second quarter of 2014 to assist with existing commitments.

So, first Blackberry, then Acer, who's the next CEO to step down from their gold-encrusted, marble thrones?

Technically I would count Balmer but he's voluntarily retiring/stepping down and Microsoft isn't in dire straits like BB and Acer.

HP, Toshiba, LG, and Samsung look alright. HTC maybe next?

Bah... I hope they start doing better. I have been buying Acer monitors since they are good quality and one of the cheapest 24" I can get at the vendor I am allowed to buy from.

Meh.

No sympathy.

CEO's of large companies are overpaid blathering idiots who get their positions more because of who they are chums with, than because of any kind of skill or talent.

With all their stock options, golden parachutes and compensation packages, they do fine, with or without a job, and get compensated just as well (and sometimes even better) when they mess up than when they are doing a good job...

Things were better back in the late 70's when a CEO of a fortune 500 company could expect ~$1million (in today's dollars) a year in total overall compensation. Even that was high. Now it's just ridiculous with compensation packages of fortune 500 CEO's being on average in the $12 million range. It's not as if corporate performance has gone up by a factor of 12 in that amount of time...

Exorbitant CEO pay is based on the false premise that corporate success is based on the performance of one superstar leader. Nothing could be more flawed. Everyone in an organization contributes to its success, and until CEO's are compensated as a member of a team (granted a high ranking one) rather than a superstar, we are going to see these problems, as compensation structures like this drive abuse and poor corporate performance.

My hat is off to him. Seemingly no CEOs have the balls to admit they fucked up and should step down.

lol you think it is voluntary?

I'm sure it is forced . Bu,t still, how many CEOs say they fucked up so they are leaving? It's usually some bullshit excuse about parting ways or the company is moving in a different direction.

Acer has potential. But they need to move away from cost-cutting measures which have really plagued their laptops with issues. Design 1 modular product and run with it.

I can see HTC next one to fall on the sword..

HTC is getting close to being next now.

http://hothardware.com/News/It-Would-Be-a-Shame-if-HTC-Gave-Up-on-High-End-Smartphones/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/05/us-htc-guidance-idUSBRE9A40EQ20131105

They may pull out of the high end market so something like the HTC One may not have a successor later on if this keeps up.

Acer has potential. But they need to move away from cost-cutting measures which have really plagued their laptops with issues. Design 1 modular product and run with it.

Yeah, I've read so many issues with Acer laptops in terms of build quality. Though a lot of others haven't had any issues.

I agree; if they go towards something like MSI, ASUS, and maybe even something like CyberPowerPC and let it be modular and have customers add what they like to it, it may work well for Acer.

Acer is a dumpster brand and everything they make is garbage, and it seems like consumers are getting wise to that fact. Hopefully they go out of business.

If you own an Acer, you should immediately deposit it in the nearest trash receptacle and go buy a real computer.

I would love to recommend Acers, but the past 3 acers, bought at different times, with widely different price points and specs have all taken a dump on me in one way or the other...
Currently dealing with a MB change after the other one took a dump on me...

Acer is a dumpster brand and everything they make is garbage, and it seems like consumers are getting wise to that fact. Hopefully they go out of business.

If you own an Acer, you should immediately deposit it in the nearest trash receptacle and go buy a real computer.

This is their reputation, but NONE of my acer products have failed on me or caused me grief.

Back