Netflix Starts Streaming 4K Content

HardOCP News

[H] News
The good news: Netflix is streaming 4K content. The bad news: Currently the only thing you can watch is eight minutes of standard test footage of people riding bikes. :(

From Monday, US subscribers to the video streaming platform who have already made the sizable financial investment that a 4K UHDTV demands will be able to watch the eight-minute film in its full resolution. It is available in six different frame-per-second formats -- 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50 and a data-allowance-busting 59.94 frames per second. But don't get too excited: the video is made up of standard test footage scenes such as market stalls and people riding bikes albeit at an incredibly high definition.

FIOS FTW!!!!

Too bad I just bought a 1080P LG display and will run it until it dies like my 720P display from 2007... lol

Still running my 40" 1080P 120Hz Sharp Aquos we got in 2008...and will until it refuses to go any further.

Then I'll replace it with a 60" version of the same series. Too soon for 4K.

HDMI 1.4a only does 4K 30fps, need 2.0 for 4K 60 fps. It would be hard to get a setup that supports 50 fps at 4K.

Still running my 40" 1080P 120Hz Sharp Aquos we got in 2008...and will until it refuses to go any further.

Then I'll replace it with a 60" version of the same series. Too soon for 4K.

Get a projector. Your lack of HT enthusiasm makes me sad.

Get a projector. Your lack of HT enthusiasm makes me sad.

I want to but I use my displays 24/7 and bulb replacement on higher end projectors are almost $400 and no thanks.

Hey Netflix how about instead of 4k development you spend more money stabilizing your streams since all 400 people that own 4k TV sets can wait...

Seriously you'll cater to an audience that is probably only a few thousand strong but you won't update your clients and add support for HD streaming on mobile platforms (or at least Android)?

You confuse the fuck out of me Netflix.

3945592678_9a50ff5c00.jpg

"Four K"

Would be interesting if Netflix became a delivery medium of choice in the absence of 4K blurays. Of course, it would be the delivery medium of choice for about 3% of the population. Hopefully it's not more than 30mb/s, I don't like being left out.

I'm not talking about that crappy $400 powerpoint slide projector your company "splurged" on :p

Mixed bag. Your display surface has an impact on what your darkest black and brightest white are when a projector is involved. That said, a 100" image is a lot cheaper to get with a projector.

Mixed bag. Your display surface has an impact on what your darkest black and brightest white are when a projector is involved. That said, a 100" image is a lot cheaper to get with a projector.

Yea, a good screen is mandatory.

Not in a properly light controlled room with a proper brightness projector. A white wall doesn't look white in a dark room, it looks black. The part of the white wall that you sine your LED on will look white, everything around it still black.

The only time your white background will look white is if you have light bleed because of a bright projector in a room with reflections or too low a ceiling for the size screen, or you just hate watching in the dark... which I do too with the exception of movies where I want it dark.

Any REAL guy knows that you get yourself a searing bright LED TV for on an ultra slim mount for daylight, and you have your 100-120" screen drop down over it for the evening when watching movies.

3D seems like a useless fad at 55", but at 120" you are immersed inside the movie! Go watch IMAX Under the Sea 3D or The Croods or Turbo 3D or Avatar or Life of Pi or Monsters Inc on a proper setup and tell me I'm wrong. :D

BTW, DLP projectors with 144hz glasses are cheap now. Its too early for 4K equipment though, but its not a big deal as you should really be upgrading your display every 4-5 years tops, and by then 4K projectors will be mainstream.

Not in a properly light controlled room with a proper brightness projector. A white wall doesn't look white in a dark room, it looks black. The part of the white wall that you sine your LED on will look white, everything around it still black.

The only time your white background will look white is if you have light bleed because of a bright projector in a room with reflections or too low a ceiling for the size screen, or you just hate watching in the dark... which I do too with the exception of movies where I want it dark.

Any REAL guy knows that you get yourself a searing bright LED TV for on an ultra slim mount for daylight, and you have your 100-120" screen drop down over it for the evening when watching movies.

3D seems like a useless fad at 55", but at 120" you are immersed inside the movie! Go watch IMAX Under the Sea 3D or The Croods or Turbo 3D or Avatar or Life of Pi or Monsters Inc on a proper setup and tell me I'm wrong. :D

I love my projector but the 3d didnt wow me like everyone said it would.
I've got a epson 5020ub and was just not terribly impressed with Avengers 3d blu ray....maybe it was just me, and I'll admit I was watching it via htpcp using TMT5 (or whatever the latest version is) if that makes any difference.

That's assuming you have 100" of surface to even project on. Living in a big city tends to limit such options.

sucks cant use this service. Dont have a 4K tv nor the speed or bandwidth probably required.

And with most streaming services 720p at a proper nitrate probably looks better than this "4k"

Netflix can stream 4k video, but still has mono or stereo audio. Without DTS (forget DTS MA) 4K is junk.

And with most streaming services 720p at a proper bitrate probably looks better than this "4k"

Exactly. Their 1080p stream is maxed out at 8Mbps and looks terrible. Where you can get it their 5Mbps 720p stream looks significantly better. The majority of their markets only stream at 1.5Mbps 720p though which also looks terrible.

Cant wait till I get a 4k TV, then I can blow threw my 350gb Comcast quota in about 9-10 shows a month and get charged another 10$ per movie for the extra bandwidth.

Cant wait till I get a 4k TV, then I can blow threw my 350gb Comcast quota in about 9-10 shows a month and get charged another 10$ per movie for the extra bandwidth.

Pretty much what i was thinking as well.

4k streaming wont be possible until ISPs get rid of their stupid bandwidth caps and tiered service

Back