Microsoft Updates Xbox Privacy Statement

HardOCP News

[H] News
Still worried about the new Kinect spying on you? What information is collected and shared? I suggest reading Microsoft's new Xbox privacy statement.

You control what happens to photographs taken during gameplay and whether voice commands are captured for analysis. You can turn Kinect off at any time. When Kinect is used with certain games and apps, your skeletal movements can be used to estimate exercise stats. You can decide how your stats are managed and whether they are shared. Some game titles may take advantage of a new Xbox capability called expressions. This feature allows you to use your defined facial expressions to control or influence a game. This data does not identify you, stays on the console and is destroyed once your session ends.

Microsoft collects many kinds of information in order to operate effectively and provide you the best products, services and experiences we can.

We collect information when you register, sign in and use our sites and services. We also get information from other companies.

We collect this information in a variety of ways, including from web forms, use of Xbox features, technologies like cookies, web logging and software on your computer or other device.

I read this as "We will use the kinect to gain information on you, which we will sell to advertisers, marketers, and also the highest bidder."

Also, this:

Changes to Our Privacy Statements
We will occasionally update our privacy statements to reflect customer feedback and changes in our services. When we post changes to a statement, we will revise the "last updated" date at the top of the statement. If there are material changes to the statement or in how Microsoft will use your personal information, we will notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes before they take effect or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to periodically review the privacy statements for the products and services you use to learn how Microsoft is protecting your information.

So, they basically reserve the right to change the privacy notice at will too. Basically, nothing is set in stone...

$10 says they will re-implement everything they took away a year from now.

web logging and software on your computer or other device

Wow. Just another "watch MS shoot itself in its foot" information day.

Also, this:

Changes to Our Privacy Statements
We will occasionally update our privacy statements to reflect customer feedback and changes in our services. When we post changes to a statement, we will revise the "last updated" date at the top of the statement. If there are material changes to the statement or in how Microsoft will use your personal information, we will notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes before they take effect or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to periodically review the privacy statements for the products and services you use to learn how Microsoft is protecting your information.

So, they basically reserve the right to change the privacy notice at will too. Basically, nothing is set in stone...

In other words its the same as virtually every single other privacy agreement out there? Cell phone companies change their terms on a nearly yearly basis, which is technically a breach of contract but they dont inform you of it which means you wouldnt even know it to call them on it. Get real this a bait thread

In other words its the same as virtually every single other privacy agreement out there? Cell phone companies change their terms on a nearly yearly basis, which is technically a breach of contract but they dont inform you of it which means you wouldnt even know it to call them on it. Get real this a bait thread

Yep. Basically anything you sign up for today is subject to change upon Microsoft's digression. I guess it serves as a starting point...

I Lawl at all this.

Google and Yahoo just had some pretty damning articles about them published showing that they bend over and do whatever Uncle Sam wants. Apple I'm sure does the same.

Microsoft however is getting attention because they will involve authorities if they feel you are doing illegal activities using Kinect video and that deserves traction? Is anyone surprised?

EVERY major tech company is co-operative currently or has been in the past with what the Government wants. They are even paid for this , why is any of this a surprise?

You want security? Go move out into rural Montana and speak directly to each other inside your log cabin. Otherwise assume that someone could and are capturing your data streams. Exercise common sense and you'll be fine.

As far as the Kinect is concerned... UNFUCKING PLUG IT. Jesus.

lol, microsoft has just managed to sneak a camera into the homes of millions of people, you really think they arent going to take advantage of this prime spying/advertising opportunity? Sure they are backing off on all the spyware crap right now, before people can revolt and buy a competitors product instead. After about a year once they have their base established, they can just switch the EULA to whatever they want, package it as part of an update, and then laugh since they already have your money.

lol, microsoft has just managed to sneak a camera into the homes of millions of people, you really think they arent going to take advantage of this prime spying/advertising opportunity? Sure they are backing off on all the spyware crap right now, before people can revolt and buy a competitors product instead. After about a year once they have their base established, they can just switch the EULA to whatever they want, package it as part of an update, and then laugh since they already have your money.

Along with most new PC's and virtually all laptops made in the last 5 years, webcams, newish TV's, PS-eye and all smartphones they can and do watch you easily if they want too.

All these companies are all exactly the same. Sony included.

Here is the thing. You can halt all of it by... get ready...

UNPLUGGING THE THING.

A privacy statement means nothing when Microsoft gets a secret FISA court order to allow the NSA to spy on everyone.

UNPLUGGING THE THING.

Here is the thing. Allowing people to unplug it wasn't their original plan or design. The system originally halted if Kinect didn't pick you up in frame. It wasn't until after an avalanche of bad PR and very public backlash made them relent on this.

The point here is they showed their true intentions at the outset, so why anyone that knows that would get into bed with this company and leave the thing plugged in when their ToS also state they can change their ToS any time and without notice is beyond me.

A privacy statement means nothing when Microsoft gets a secret FISA court order to allow the NSA to spy on everyone.

Or Sony, Google, Apple, Samsung, Yahoo......

It's so fucked up what things have come to because of Bin Laden.
HE WON

Or Sony, Google, Apple, Samsung, Yahoo......

It's so fucked up what things have come to because of Bin Laden.
HE WON

You really think they weren't spying on us before that? The only thing that has changed is everyone being connected to the internet pretty much 24/7 makes it that much easier than 20 or 30 years ago. They'd be doing it even if 9/11 never happened.

Here is the thing. Allowing people to unplug it wasn't their original plan or design. The system originally halted if Kinect didn't pick you up in frame. It wasn't until after an avalanche of bad PR and very public backlash made them relent on this.

The point here is they showed their true intentions at the outset, so why anyone that knows that would get into bed with this company and leave the thing plugged in when their ToS also state they can change their ToS any time and without notice is beyond me.

Evidence?

I sure hope that none of you bitching about this has a cell phone, email account, gps, bank account, and use tor since you're on the internet.

I sure hope that none of you bitching about this has a cell phone, email account, gps, bank account, and use tor since you're on the internet.

You're kidding, right?

A game system getting info on you, is a bit different than a gps knowing your location.

You're kidding, right?

A game system getting info on you, is a bit different than a gps knowing your location.

Not really because gps systems can store your info such as speed, distance, locations, and other information. It has the potential to be alot more invasive than kinect.

You're kidding, right?

However, the point is all of those devices gather information about you rather innocuously and no ome seems to bitch about them being used for nefarious purposes.

"We promise not misuse the camera feed from your device. However, if you don't stop jerking off and spunking on the console, we will void your warranty."

You're kidding, right?

Well you better shut down your Steam account because they even know how many hours and when you play any game. Your computer config..for starters..Valve know a hell of a lot about you.

UNPLUGGING THE THING.

Yeeaahhhh, it's 2013, let me just start by having to PLUG MY SHIT IN every time I want to use it like it's 1985 or whatever century actually required you to plug something in. I know before I go over and plop down on the couch and hit the remote to turn on my tv I want to first crawl behind my entertainment center and fuck with a web of cables.

Back