Gaming Can Be Beneficial For The Brain

HardOCP News

[H] News
A new study found that video games can be beneficial for the brain. I guess that means we can all train our brains this weekend!

Video gaming causes increases in the brain regions responsible for spatial orientation, memory formation and strategic planning as well as fine motor skills. This has been shown in a new study conducted at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development and Charité University Medicine St. Hedwig-Krankenhaus. The positive effects of video gaming may also prove relevant in therapeutic interventions targeting psychiatric disorders.

"The positive effects of video gaming may also prove relevant in therapeutic interventions targeting psychiatric disorders."

There you have it folks!
Instead of causing unstable individuals from committing gun violence, they PREVENT gun violence.

Gaming is an OUTLET instead of a catalyst for aggression.

Glad to know my 50+ hours a week exposing myself to simulated violence and psychopathy is actually a good thing, and doesn't affect me in any negative way.

Now if someone could just tell that to my wife so I don't have to belt her to get her to shut up while I'm playing.

I easily lost 10 years to WOW and really since doom in 95 or when ever. I have played some game and I would say I'm dumber, more lazy, a hermit and with eye hand coordination in the real world that is spot on. So if you need flies caught with bare hand or something like running a punch press then yeah gaming is great

Especially early PC gaming would be good for the brain. The games of old were hard and since graphics were not too great, devs had to make do by using the medium as a supplement to the imagination of the gamer and that kept the gamer mentally engaged with what they were playing, and games were hard enough to require critical thinking on the part of the gamer.

How many times is this test going to be run? I swear Ive heard this about 50 times. And like always, Video games are good for the brain, but only in moderation. Too much and it will cause you to suffer in other areas.

Horsecock!!!

Not true! GTA turns little kids into psychopaths! Fox News said so!

Kind of like spanking your monkey.

It won't make you a rapist.

But it's not going to make you Cassanova either.

Chess might expand your mind. Strategy games, sure. But I doubt Harvard looks at GTA player skill as an important pre-req.

Back