Apple, Microsoft, BlackBerry, Ericsson and Sony Suing Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow, talk about ganging up on someone. It looks like Google might have a fight on its hands. :eek:

The so-called Rockstar Consortium — an alliance of Apple and Microsoft, plus BlackBerry, Ericsson and Sony — controls a portfolio of some 6,000 patents bought from the bankrupt Canadian telecommunications company Nortel. They paid $4.5 billion for the patents in 2011. Yesterday was something of a D-day, as Rockstar filed eight lawsuits in a federal court in Texas, accusing Google of infringing those patents.

Good barely fights for Android patents, they will just push this into the manufacturers and have them pay licensing fees.

This is little more than extortion. They can't compete against Google so they resort to state sanctioned violence in order to try and steal money from them. Apple, et. al should all be prosecuted under RICO.

This is little more than extortion. They can't compete against Google so they resort to state sanctioned violence in order to try and steal money from them. Apple, et. al should all be prosecuted under RICO.

really? i mean really? Your saying Microsoft cant compete with google? So far as I can tell microsoft may as well own google. Microsoft is a larger software company, ESPECIALLY in the corporate world. Google has been doing shady shit for a long time including higher levels of cooperation with the NSA. If theyre infringing on copyrights owned by this many companies they damn well deserve this lawsuit

So Google can just do what they please? They all need to be kept in check from time to time so it sounds like its Googles turn.

Let's take a look at some of the bullshit that the Apple mafia is suing under :

http://www.google.com/patents/US7469245 - Patent for showing advertisements while searching

http://www.google.com/patents/US7672970 - Anther patent for showing advertisements while searching

On second thought, it seems every one of these bullshit patents covers the exact same thing; shyster-speak not withstanding. What a joke. Imaginary property lawyers are the absolute scum of the earth.

really? i mean really? Your saying Microsoft cant compete with google? So far as I can tell microsoft may as well own google. Microsoft is a larger software company, ESPECIALLY in the corporate world. Google has been doing shady shit for a long time including higher levels of cooperation with the NSA. If theyre infringing on copyrights owned by this many companies they damn well deserve this lawsuit

If you don't think that Microsoft "cooperates" with the NSA, I have beachfront property in Idaho to sell you. Anyone who does not "cooperate" with the NSA gets shut down.

This isn't a copyright infringement lawsuit. This is a patent infringement lawsuit. The Apple mafia (which Microsoft is a part of) bought up a bunch of bullshit patents from bankrupt Nortel for the sole purpose of harming Google. They didn't even invent what is laughably referred to as an invention in said patents.

Google is quite a bit bigger than Microsoft these days, though with the logic expressed in your reply, facts are probably just a hindrance.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GOOG
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT

Also citation needed on the NSA comment. Do realize the recent articles proved there was no cooperation and that the NSA was snooping on data center interconnects.

If you don't think that Microsoft "cooperates" with the NSA, I have beachfront property in Idaho to sell you. Anyone who does not "cooperate" with the NSA gets shut down.

This isn't a copyright infringement lawsuit. This is a patent infringement lawsuit. The Apple mafia (which Microsoft is a part of) bought up a bunch of bullshit patents from bankrupt Nortel for the sole purpose of harming Google. They didn't even invent what is laughably referred to as an invention in said patents.

Have you read EVERY single one of those patents? Have you analyzed each and every single word of them? Do you know this for a fact? Are you lawyer or just love google even though its a shady ass company. Yes microsoft cooperates, but based on recent reports and even statements made by GOOGLE Execs, not to the same level

Google is quite a bit bigger than Microsoft these days, though with the logic expressed in your reply, facts are probably just a hindrance.

Also citation needed on the NSA comment. Do realize the recent articles proved there was no cooperation and that the NSA was snooping on data center interconnects.

Google Execs themselves said you have absolutely no privacy when using their email, they also said they sell your contact information, whether its on your gmail account or a google phone. That is direct statements from google dont have the time to dig up a source right now

Google Execs themselves said you have absolutely no privacy when using their email, they also said they sell your contact information, whether its on your gmail account or a google phone. That is direct statements from google dont have the time to dig up a source right now

Yes, and when the NSA has all of the CAs and ISPs in its back pocket, you don't need other cooperation. Please learn about how the internet works.

Have you read EVERY single one of those patents? Have you analyzed each and every single word of them? Do you know this for a fact? Are you lawyer or just love google even though its a shady ass company. Yes microsoft cooperates, but based on recent reports and even statements made by GOOGLE Execs, not to the same level

The fact that they are software patents automatically makes them illegitimate. The overviews describe searching with advertisements. I am not going to waste my time going through a bunch of shyster sophistry to find the minute differences between them.

The fact that they are software patents automatically makes them illegitimate. The overviews describe searching with advertisements. I am not going to waste my time going through a bunch of shyster sophistry to find the minute differences between them.

Under the law they are legitimate ... whether the law should be changed to make them illegitimate is a different question entirely ... as long as the patents are legal then these companies have a fiduciary responsibility to enforce them ... failure to do so would breach their responsibilities to their shareholders, who are entitled to the maximum profit and revenues ;)

Apple and Microsoft.... Banding together? Hell froze over? Oh, to fight Android?

The smartphone war is over, Android won. Their 80% marketshare isnt going to budge, this must be some other kind of plot. Apple and co trying to get a few cents on every Android device sold?

Until patent reform occurs this is nothing more than good business. Perhaps Google should of dug a little deeper into the ol' pocketbook and bid more money for those patents. Then they'd be doing the same damn thing.

A wild financial expert emerges. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'd rather have a group of companies controlling a bunch of patents than ONE company like Google. You need to lay off the crack if you think that Google would not be suing everybody if they had won the bid.

The fact that they are software patents automatically makes them illegitimate.
In your dream world I guess.

It has nothing to do with compete or extortion.

They have valid patents (until proven invalid) that they believe google is infringing. They have every right to sue if google doesn't license those patents.

The fact that these patents are worth something is proved by google itself. They were trying to buy these themselves and bid a very high amount.

Go troll somewhere else.

Under the law they are legitimate ... whether the law should be changed to make them illegitimate is a different question entirely ... as long as the patents are legal then these companies have a fiduciary responsibility to enforce them ... failure to do so would breach their responsibilities to their shareholders, who are entitled to the maximum profit and revenues ;)

We've been through this song and dance. What the law of the state says does NOT matter. If I labor and work on a software program and it is entirely of my own creation, by what right does anyone come and take that work away from me? By what right do you appropriate the product of my blood and sweat? The fact is that it is impossible to write any piece of software without infringing on government patents means that even if I write the software on my own and I came up with everything in my own head, someone can come and appropriate my work.

As it is, there is no motivation to be a productive member of society because the state rewards the parasites over the productive members. Welfare queens and professional homeless make more money than many people who work. Patent trolls make billions of dollars extorting money from productive members of society while doing absolutely no work themselves whereas people who are simply trying to live their dream and who are trying to make ends meet, toiling away for 12 hour work days, find their entire livelihood at stake because the state allows someone who does nothing to simply patent a bunch of bullshit and then devises a court system that requires millions of dollars just to defend yourself.

Changing the laws peacefully is not possible because laws in this country go to the highest bidder.

It should be illegal to be able to both copyright and patent software.

Here is the thing.. patents are designed to give certain rights to the INVENTOR whether it is a individual or company that invented it.... However, those rights in theory are gone once you sell the patent because it no longer owned by the original Inventor which a patent is designed to give those rights to. In theory means it is sold to the open market because anyone with the cash can buy it, so in theory invalidates the patent to require royalties.

That's just my opinion, and I don't believe I have seen anyone ever fight a patent suit from that perspective.

just a thought.

I wouldn't say quite.

340 billion vs 300 billion is almost a wash depending on how the market moves.

Apple though with 460 billion, is easily bigger than Google.

You should read the post I replied to rather than taking the reply out of context; he was suggesting that Microsoft was large enough to own Google, and more to the point "a larger software company." My point was that Google is a larger company than Microsoft.

More on the point, 13% seems like a pretty reasonable definition for "quite," especially when that 13% is $40B. Keep in mind that $40B is more than all of YHOO. Google is one Yahoo larger than Microsoft.

Apple wasn't mentioned in the post to which I was responding, so that's not directly relevant.

A few things worth pointing out:

1) Google typically owns, operates, and builds their own DCs. The only way the NSA could unknowingly infiltrate Google's private fiber would have to be by severing and then interconnecting either along the line where the cables are buried or wherever the dark fiber that Google purchased terminates to at the other end.

2) How did Google's own "top" network engineers not see any of this?

We've been through this song and dance. What the law of the state says does NOT matter. If I labor and work on a software program and it is entirely of my own creation, by what right does anyone come and take that work away from me? By what right do you appropriate the product of my blood and sweat? The fact is that it is impossible to write any piece of software without infringing on government patents means that even if I write the software on my own and I came up with everything in my own head, someone can come and appropriate my work.

As it is, there is no motivation to be a productive member of society because the state rewards the parasites over the productive members. Welfare queens and professional homeless make more money than many people who work. Patent trolls make billions of dollars extorting money from productive members of society while doing absolutely no work themselves whereas people who are simply trying to live their dream and who are trying to make ends meet, toiling away for 12 hour work days, find their entire livelihood at stake because the state allows someone who does nothing to simply patent a bunch of bullshit and then devises a court system that requires millions of dollars just to defend yourself.

Changing the laws peacefully is not possible because laws in this country go to the highest bidder.

In a nutshell, the independent software developer is dead because of "software patents". I have software I would like to create but since I need an army of lawyers to determine if I'll be infringing on "someone's" software patent, I cannot because I cannot afford an army of lawyers.

In a nutshell, the independent software developer is dead because of "software patents". I have software I would like to create but since I need an army of lawyers to determine if I'll be infringing on "someone's" software patent, I cannot because I cannot afford an army of lawyers.

When I was younger, one of the things I always wanted to do was start a software company. But no more. I see no reason why I should contribute anything to society when all I will get is trouble while the parasites rake in the big bucks from their mafia like extortion rackets.

It is time to go John Galt and for the productive members of society to refuse to contribute to the existence of parasites.

They are so dead that there hundreds of thousands of apps (many from independents) on the smartphone and tablet app stores ... they are so dead that we never see independent software releases like Minecraft, Bastion, or Braid ... oh wait, software patents haven't prevented ANY of those successes

Is it tougher to create a new software megacorp from a small group of developers (Facebook, Microsoft, Google, etc) ... probably ... but that isn't strictly a question of patents either

Patents (especially the software ones) have some flaws but there are still plenty of opportunities for hungry and driven developers ;)

When I was younger, one of the things I always wanted to do was start a software company. But no more. I see no reason why I should contribute anything to society when all I will get is trouble while the parasites rake in the big bucks from their mafia like extortion rackets.

It is time to go John Galt and for the productive members of society to refuse to contribute to the existence of parasites.

Or take the perfectly legal route provided to most corporations ... incorporate in the Maldives, or one of the many low tax regions, and process your finances through there ... there are still plenty of ways to make millions (or billions) if you so desire and not spend hardly any of that towards your fellow humans (if that is your desire) :cool:

Guess you have not been paying attention the last 6 or so months?
There is no doubt Google cooperates with NSA probably though secret court orders.
There are 10 million more articles proving that..if you call an article proof.

They are so dead that there hundreds of thousands of apps (many from independents) on the smartphone and tablet app stores ... they are so dead that we never see independent software releases like Minecraft, Bastion, or Braid ... oh wait, software patents haven't prevented ANY of those successes

Is it tougher to create a new software megacorp from a small group of developers (Facebook, Microsoft, Google, etc) ... probably ... but that isn't strictly a question of patents either

Patents (especially the software ones) have some flaws but there are still plenty of opportunities for hungry and driven developers ;)

You might want to google Uniloc. If Minecraft hadn't been a freak success, they would never have had the money to defend themselves.

Better to use https://duckduckgo.com/

or

https://www.startpage.com/

for searches

if you can't find something then use Bing and Google as a last resort.
I hate google but yeah it's search engine is much better than anyone else for now..

Google
Goo·gle
[goo-guhl] Show IPA noun, verb, Goo·gled, Goo·gling.
noun Trademark.
brand name of a leading Internet search engine, founded in 1998.
verb (used with object)
( often lowercase ) to search the Internet for information about (a person, topic, etc.): We googled the new applicant to check her background.
verb (used without object)
( often lowercase ) to use a search engine such as Google to find information, a Web site address, etc., on the Internet.

They have valid patents (until proven invalid) that they believe google is infringing. They have every right to sue if google doesn't license those patents.

The fact that these patents are worth something is proved by google itself. They were trying to buy these themselves and bid a very high amount.

I believe that's the shaft the group (R*?) is going to ram Google with.

Google
Goo·gle
[goo-guhl] Show IPA noun, verb, Goo·gled, Goo·gling.
noun Trademark.
brand name of a leading Internet search engine, founded in 1998.
verb (used with object)
( often lowercase ) to search the Internet for information about (a person, topic, etc.): We googled the new applicant to check her background.
verb (used without object)
( often lowercase ) to use a search engine such as Google to find information, a Web site address, etc., on the Internet.

Yeah everyone gets it..

Skidoo, Xerox, Ipod? (Are you playing Sega?) even if you were playing Nintendo. Kleenex?

Everytime someone says Google it you are enforcing a company name and giving free advertising and headspace in the mass consciousnesses.

Don't do it man! Be free from the herd :)

Back