The Hacker Who Owned Mark Zuckerberg

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait....exploiting a bug so you can post on Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page is considered a hacking accomplishment?

It was August 14, and Shreateh had just reached halfway around the world to pull off a prank that would make him the most famous hacker in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. He’d discovered a Facebook bug that would allow him to post to another user’s wall even if he wasn’t on the user’s friends list.

Seems like the real story is that Zuckerberg is a douchebag.

I only skimmed it, but it sounds like he didn't want to pay some guy who, despite living in poverty, breached his shitty social network?

An accomplishment would be to hack Justin Bieber's Facebook and announce to the world that he's finally starting to get a sex change.

Love how they told him, it wasn't a bug.

So he had to prove it. Then didn't get paid because he had to prove it.

Unless Shreateh isn't the first person to report and demonstrate the bug, Facebook should pony-up and pay Shreateh the $500 as was advertised. In the end, the crowd-funding crowd did him right by gathering to get him the money to start his own company.

it's hacking in my books.. I mean it's not a 10 on the omg-l33t hacker skillz scale but it is a hack

Exploiting a vulnerability, which aren't exclusively bugs. That said, this is probably both!

At least that's how I view hacking.

Facebook has always been about a lack of class, so it doesn't surprise me they wouldn't pay the guy.

Taking an advantage of a bug IS hacking, IMHO.

Oh come on guys, Instead of $500 he got $13,000. He is probably happy Facebook did not pay him the measly bounty.

Oh come on guys, Instead of $500 he got $13,000. He is probably happy Facebook did not pay him the measly bounty.

Regardless, Facebook still owes him $500.

If you got a $8000 tip at work, it doesn't mean your boss doesn't have to still pay you.

Regardless, Facebook still owes him $500.

If you got a $8000 tip at work, it doesn't mean your boss doesn't have to still pay you.

You are right but If I got an $8000 tip I might consider giving my boss a friendly hand gesture, especially if I only got paid once. That being said I think the finger was already given to Facebook in this case.

Wired articles are always unnecessarily looooooong! *yawns* I got the gist of the entire story in like the first 3 paragraphs, that's all I needed lol.

This was in the news a while back… the reason why payment was denied to him was b/c he hadn't gone through proper channels to reproduce the bug. Facebook has a segregated network, open to the public, that is specifically designed for vulnerability testing. The FB argument is that he should have demonstrated the exploit on that network instead of on the real FB site. From a legal standpoint, they have to cover their ass - it is clear that Shreateh wasn't being malicious, and it is completely understandable that with language barriers he probably didn't know the FB policy. However, if they did pay him, which acknowledges the way that he did report it, then down the line if someone who is malicious gets caught, that person could claim that they were 'just vulnerability testing' and point to this case as a set precedent. Looking at it subjectively, Shreateh did get screwed over by FB, but unfortunately that's life. Happily, he definitely came out ahead because of the publicity and is clearly better off for the entire experience.

Back