Samsung Shipped More Phones Than Nokia, Apple, LG Combined

HardOCP News

[H] News
Holy moly! I knew Samsung shipped more phones than Apple but damn, more than Apple, Nokia and LG combined? :eek:

Samsung shipped a record 120.1 million phones last quarter, beating Nokia, Apple, and LG combined, Strategy Analytics said on Tuesday. The quarter showed a 17 percent jump in global shipments from a year ago and gave Samsung a 29 percent slice of the mobile phone market.

They make a great product for a great price (and I own an iPhone 5). Kudos to Samsung :cool:

I just became part of the Samsung clan yesterday. They are taking over the world.

Because they have a crapload of variation for every segment of the market.

My last two phones were Samsung I had a Galaxy S3 and I currently have a Note 3 and it is by far my favorite out of all the phones I've had.

My current phone is a Samsung (Galaxy Nexus) but so far they are trending in a direction that I don't like.

With HTC in the slumps and Motorola still a big question mark, I am hoping LG can rise to the task of providing some healthy competition against Samsung in the android ecosystem. Their last few phones have been pretty good (G2 and Nexus 4, for example).

I'd prefer it be Apple since Apple is a US company. That is if Apple stopped being a bunch of douchebags.

Apple may be an american company but that's just an illusion since they barely do any real manufacturing in the US.

My phone is a phone Samsung made in 2003. I listen to half of my employees ripping on my old flip phone, they mock me for being backward. Then I watch them use their smart phones and I realise that the best smart phones are still shitty phones.

Imagine me wanting a phone that's better at making phone calls.

My phone is a phone Samsung made in 2003. I listen to half of my employees ripping on my old flip phone, they mock me for being backward. Then I watch them use their smart phones and I realise that the best smart phones are still shitty phones.

Who let the geriatric in?

Haha, yeah, I'm still hanging onto my original Convoy, although I'm looking at the Convoy 3 now. Smartphones really do nothing for me.

Apple may be an american company but that's just an illusion since they barely do any real manufacturing in the US.

I know, it was like when I bought a Chevy S-10 that was made and assembled in Canada...
Yet my friend drove a Honda that was made here in the US...
Which is better?
Give the money to an American company so the rich here get richer or send the money overseas to a company actually providing American jobs?
Now there's a debate!
But you know...
If we can't keep the rich here rich the government just gives them our money via bailout anyways.
I don't think we can win!

I'd prefer it be Apple since Apple is a US company. That is if Apple stopped being a bunch of douchebags.

Apple is a company that manufactures almost everything overseas, and keeps their profits out of the country to avoid paying US taxes. Doesn’t seem very American to me.

Reminds me of the American made car arguments.
What’s more American, a Japanese brand car that’s made in the US, or an American brand that’s made in Canada or Mexico?

What’s more American, a Japanese brand car that’s made in the US, or an American brand that’s made in Canada or Mexico?
Does Samsung manufacture their phones in the U.S.?

My last two phones were Samsung I had a Galaxy S3 and I currently have a Note 3 and it is by far my favorite out of all the phones I've had.

How is the Note 3 compared to the S3? I have an S3 right now and thinking of switching up to the Note 3.

Also how are your wifi speeds? Mine seem to suck on the S3 compared to my regular 3G speeds and my other wireless devices run really fast.

Apple is a company that manufactures almost everything overseas, and keeps their profits out of the country to avoid paying US taxes. Doesn’t seem very American to me.

[soapbox]
What is even funnier to me is the supposed American Companies that manufacture overseas yet target liberal Democrats as their main consumer and then the liberals defend them even though those companies stand for everything the liberals are supposedly against... Ahhh the irony!

But seriously, I am getting tired of the American company vs Overseas company crap. I just want a good decent product at a good decent price. I will buy American if its good, but if they can't compete, well, sucks for them. And if they are getting bailed out by the government, meaning I am already paying them my taxes, they sure as hell aren't getting any more money from me if I can help it.
[/soapbox]

Back to the topic, After seeing this I started checking out just how many Samsung products my friends and I own lately. It is quite a lot. Just off the top of my head for personal purchases in the last few months...3 monitors, a phone, and an SSD. In the next few months probably another phone, 3 more monitors, and another SSD.

How is the Note 3 compared to the S3? I have an S3 right now and thinking of switching up to the Note 3.

Also how are your wifi speeds? Mine seem to suck on the S3 compared to my regular 3G speeds and my other wireless devices run really fast.

I don't use my Wi-Fi connection that often but everything is quite fast and I've never noticed anything unusual. After my 1st full day of using the Note 3 the S3 felt like a child's toy in my hand and I'm no giant by any means I'm 5'7". I work in a office and while the phone will stick out the top of my dress shirt it fits comfortably in the front pockets of my slacks and while a touch bulky it fits in the front pocket of my jeans with no problem. If you don't get hung up on the size the Note 3 is well worth upgrading to.

I don't use my Wi-Fi connection that often but everything is quite fast and I've never noticed anything unusual. After my 1st full day of using the Note 3 the S3 felt like a child's toy in my hand and I'm no giant by any means I'm 5'7". I work in a office and while the phone will stick out the top of my dress shirt it fits comfortably in the front pockets of my slacks and while a touch bulky it fits in the front pocket of my jeans with no problem. If you don't get hung up on the size the Note 3 is well worth upgrading to.

Size is actually one of the reasons I want to upgrade to the Note 3. I bought the S3 specifically for the larger screen and better processor power over other phones at the time. I tend to use my phone a lot as a tablet on the go. So battery life, screen size, and processing power are pretty important to me.

People with iPhones, LG, and Nokia bunker buster phones rarely replace them. However, people with Samsung phones replace theirs constantly because of issues. These numbers are correct, but I believe they are inflated for the wrong reason. Just your typical marketing article on c|net

Shipped and not sold right? I like samsung flagship products, but I hate the company lol. I own many Samsung smartphones probably more than 99% here but that doesnt stop me from hating their business policies and ethics. I also like Apple iPhones, still havent bought a phone from LG lol, maybe one day.

People with iPhones, LG, and Nokia bunker buster phones rarely replace them. However, people with Samsung phones replace theirs constantly because of issues. These numbers are correct, but I believe they are inflated for the wrong reason. Just your typical marketing article on c|net

Is that so? You have proof of that? Most of my friends/family with Samsung products have only replaced theirs to get the next best Samsung product. Although my friends/family with other brands have consistently traded them in due to problems and usually for a different model. So my personal albeit limited experience has been the opposite.

Size is actually one of the reasons I want to upgrade to the Note 3. I bought the S3 specifically for the larger screen and better processor power over other phones at the time. I tend to use my phone a lot as a tablet on the go. So battery life, screen size, and processing power are pretty important to me.

The Note 3 delivers in spades in all those areas the size is great and has made my tablet useless, it handles everything I can throw at it and the battery life has been great. Under heavy use the phone easily lasts a whole day under light use I can go a full 72 hours before I have to charge it again.

Love the removable battery and the SD slot doesnt hurt, but please, just drop the damn home button!

Regardless, waiting for the Note 3 DE on VZW. (hate those bastards, but can't drop them yet...grrr)

The Note 3 delivers in spades in all those areas the size is great and has made my tablet useless, it handles everything I can throw at it and the battery life has been great. Under heavy use the phone easily lasts a whole day under light use I can go a full 72 hours before I have to charge it again.

For me the Note 3 lasts a full day with about 20% left under normal usage. Medium usage I will have to charge at about 5pm. Heavy usage lol is pretty bad for me. But the time where I actually use it that much is very very rare. I guess I am a pretty heavy user.

Samsung covers a wide range of prices and also have several models (thus it's one of their advantages over Apple). The sheer number also puts it ahead of LG (which covers the same price ranges but have slightly fewer models, and possibly lower raw production numbers). And right now Nokia is a bit fragmented/uneven in terms of which price brackets they are present in.

Shipped and not sold right? I like samsung flagship products, but I hate the company lol. I own many Samsung smartphones probably more than 99% here but that doesnt stop me from hating their business policies and ethics. I also like Apple iPhones, still havent bought a phone from LG lol, maybe one day.

Yup haha, owned one Samsung prior to my note 3. Also owned one lg phone but it was the chocolate, which I hated.

Talk about unfounded!

Yup haha, owned one Samsung prior to my note 3. Also owned one lg phone but it was the chocolate, which I hated.

Talk about unfounded!

Lol my sister had the chocolate for the longest time before she dunked it in water. I owned some samsung slider phones back in the day, the S1, S2, S3, Galaxy Nexus, and for a short while S4 which I gave to some one as a gift, then of course the Note 2 and Note 3. Same Period I have owned every iPhone except the 5S. Had the HTC touch pro 1/2, touch HD and the HD7, then got the G1, Nexus One, HTC EVO (disappointed because of battery life and crappy sprint coverage), HTC thunderbolt was terrible too. I had the Motorola Droid 2 Global and X which were hugely disappointing because of quality issues. I bought a Lumia 900 to play around with which make LG the last of the big android makers I havent bought from. Which seems odd to me since I seem willing to try everyone out. I buy smartphones like people here buy graphics cards haha.

Lol my sister had the chocolate for the longest time before she dunked it in water. I owned some samsung slider phones back in the day, the S1, S2, S3, Galaxy Nexus, and for a short while S4 which I gave to some one as a gift, then of course the Note 2 and Note 3. Same Period I have owned every iPhone except the 5S. Had the HTC touch pro 1/2, touch HD and the HD7, then got the G1, Nexus One, HTC EVO (disappointed because of battery life and crappy sprint coverage), HTC thunderbolt was terrible too. I had the Motorola Droid 2 Global and X which were hugely disappointing because of quality issues. I bought a Lumia 900 to play around with which make LG the last of the big android makers I havent bought from. Which seems odd to me since I seem willing to try everyone out. I buy smartphones like people here buy graphics cards haha.

You sir are [H].

Yes but on the other hand it is nice to see where the money goes...Apple is trying to move more parts being made in the US. On the other hand Samsung is building some nice fabs in the US. You also have to track where the profits go...

Apple seems to have trouble finding ways to use the cash, which concerns me. Apple is good at reducing taxes.

Samsung normally find a reasonable use quickly. Not paid attention to their taxes.

Still would be an interesting chart to show what percent of a dollar ends up where from both companies.

Because they have a crapload of variation for every segment of the market.

This is exactly why. Their high end phones like the GS4 and the Note 2/3 aren't selling much better than last year. They're only going to be about 1/5 of Samsung's sales this year, down from almost half last year.

The iPhone still owns the high end smartphone market and keeps accelerating. The difference is that Samsung is serving the low end, a segment that has exploded in the last two years. Developing nations and low-income are snapping up low end smartphones and featurephones from Samsung like crazy

This is exactly why. Their high end phones like the GS4 and the Note 2/3 aren't selling much better than last year. They're only going to be about 1/5 of Samsung's sales this year, down from almost half last year.

The iPhone still owns the high end smartphone market and keeps accelerating. The difference is that Samsung is serving the low end, a segment that has exploded in the last two years. Developing nations and low-income are snapping up low end smartphones and featurephones from Samsung like crazy

Since when has the iPhone been a "high end" smartphone? It doesn't even come close to the high end phones on the market for android.

Since when has the iPhone been a "high end" smartphone? It doesn't even come close to the high end phones on the market for android.
Tech sites do these things called "benchmarks." Maybe you should take a look at them sometimes.

Back