League of Legends Player Makes $1M Per Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
One million dollars a year to play a video game? We are all in the wrong line of work. :eek:

Rodriguez totaled his annual earnings at €600,000 to €700,000, equivalent to approximately $950,000. He stated that the amount is made up of a combination of tournament winnings, merchandising income, salary, live streaming games, and personal sponsors.

Actors, Athletes, "pro-gamers", etc. make STEM professionals world-wide sigh. Some of these professions that generate so much much wealth and respect are ridiculous.

It's likely due to the learning curve. It's very easy to pick up and play, as opposed to something like DotA. I was a big fan of LoL and DotA for quite a while (for different reasons, of course), but the MOBA that I've been playing the most recently has to be Smite.

Smite is fun, but it's a lot more difficult to be aware of the map in a 3rd person shooter style game. LoL has a much simpler learning curve as Oniigumo pointed out.

It baffles me why LoL is played by so many.

Its the worst MOBA hands down.

The learning curve is very simple. DOTA 2 is a much better game and I have more hours than I care to admit sunk into it, but I give credit to Riot for doing such a good job easing new players into their game.

This should be a lesson to other companies about how to get and retain new players.

Season 4! Wuhoo! I think I've spent more than a grand on League of Legends.

Sponsors and endorsements probably pay the most out of that 950k I'm thinking.

Whats sadder than someone making that much money playing fucking videos is the sorry fucks who would actually spend time or money to watch someone else play a video game...

Whats sadder than someone making that much money playing fucking videos is the sorry fucks who would actually spend time or money to watch someone else play a video game...

Yeah, I agree with you but a person could make the same argument for watching someone play a game like baseball, basketball, football, and etc., :D

Actors, Athletes, "pro-gamers", etc. make STEM professionals world-wide sigh. Some of these professions that generate so much much wealth and respect are ridiculous.

Most of them don't make even close to that amount of money. And these guys have like what, maybe 5-10 years MAX of being able to compete professionally unless they started at like 16. Being a STEM major seems to be better if you are in it for the long term.

Well I am one of those "sorry fucks" I guess. I enjoy watching the Korean pro league, OnGameNet and watching the Korean pro players play.

I also enjoyed watching the European and NA League Championship series. I used to watch individual player streams but stopped long ago to just play myself. You do learn a lot by watching a pro player who explains what he is doing and more importantly, why he is doing something in game.

It really can help someone improve at the game.

It baffles me why LoL is played by so many.

Its the worst MOBA hands down.

It baffles me more way MOBA games are so popular. I played DOTA admittedly but only when I was done with raiding for the night in WoW. It was a time filler or waster but I never felt it deserved as a game type to get such a huge fanbase it now has.

Its great to watch people with such incredible skill dominate but overall I can only watch for about 30 minutes of a popular stream in a big game streaming on Twitch.tv before I'm bored out of my mind.

I think MOBA's are the most repetitive game type their is. I also think its sad that MOBA's are so popular the strongest team/players in SC2 left to compete in LoL now. I love watching SC2 tournaments , at least the game requires micro management on a level few people can handle regardless of a Macro or Micro play style.

It seems MOBA's are going to be around for a while , kinda sucks if companies like Blizzard start only catering to that genre instead of making more RTS games. But I guess that's gaming evolution for ya.

I don't get how people can say ignorant stuff like this. Yet society thinks its perfectly acceptable for people to pay for and watch half the television and movies that Hollywood et al produce? I would far rather my kids engage in watching a video game tournament and learning a little about how to compete or being somewhat engaged than watching 99% of the television and movie crap out there.

I played DOTA admittedly but only when I was done with raiding for the night in WoW.

I think MOBA's are the most repetitive game type their is. I also think its sad that MOBA's are so popular the strongest team/players in SC2 left to compete in LoL now.

Saying this doesn't mean that the games are bad, it means you don't understand them.

I have been a subscriber to the GSL since it started, I've been to multiple live SC2 events, I was diamond league in SC2 before I last stopped playing, and even I can see that DOTA 2 is an endless rabbit hole of depth and complexity. There is nothing repetitive about it, the metagame is far more volatile than anything else right now.

The endless ways to draft a team, skill build, item build, all give it so much more depth than (the unfortunately stale) Starcraft 2 right now. I would argue that DOTA 2 is the most strategically and mechanically complex competitive game right now. The closest game I can compare it with is Magic The Gathering, partly because of its complexity, and and partly because of annual balance changes that shift the meta in huge directions.

The great thing is that these patches aren't there because a character or hero is "imba", it is there specifically to shift around the meta. Amazing! This week a patch dropped that basically means everyone has to relearn the game, and it is incredible.

Anyway, I suggest learning more about the game before passing judgement just because it doesn't require 300 APM to be top tier.

You criticisms do apply to LoL though, shallow, repetitive, and ultimately boring even at its highest level of play.

I don't get how people can say ignorant stuff like this. Yet society thinks its perfectly acceptable for people to pay for and watch half the television and movies that Hollywood et al produce? I would far rather my kids engage in watching a video game tournament and learning a little about how to compete or being somewhat engaged than watching 99% of the television and movie crap out there.

Great points sir, and not just that, you sound like you understand what you want your kids to get out of entertainment mediums and the value they can extract from it.

The learning curve is very simple. DOTA 2 is a much better game and I have more hours than I care to admit sunk into it, but I give credit to Riot for doing such a good job easing new players into their game.

This should be a lesson to other companies about how to get and retain new players.

yes! I also have to say that LoL also draws in a lot of Female players with cute in game characters and other fun modes. Honestly i have never seen a video game with such a huge female fan base.

I wish I made that much money doing the same thing. No jealousy here. Free market at work and all that.

I wonder if some day eSports will be treated like sports where universities will offer scholarships to high level gamers. Next up will be performance enhancing drugs and IIRC a few years ago Starcraft had a debacle where pro players were rigging matches by intentionally losing for money.

I don't get why people play LoL anymore. Dota 2 is free to play and superior.

If somebody is willing to invest the time for just a *CHANCE* at making it big, I'm fine with that.

But the vast majority won't make it big, but won't understand that until many other opportunities are lost to them

That is the sad part.

He can't be that much of an idiot if he makes that much money doing something we all wish we could do.

Yep :D

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much — the wheel, New York, wars and so on — whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man — for precisely the same reasons.

I use to think who the fuck pays and watches other people play video games or tunes in to the Talking Dead and Talking Bad shows and then I stopped to think about how much sports talk radio I listen to and how much pre and post game shows I watch for football and basketball so I stopped having those thoughts. Different strokes for different folks.

I use to think who the fuck pays and watches other people play video games or tunes in to the Talking Dead and Talking Bad shows and then I stopped to think about how much sports talk radio I listen to and how much pre and post game shows I watch for football and basketball so I stopped having those thoughts. Different strokes for different folks.

That's right! Live and let live!

For me I enjoy LoL much more than Dota 2 because it suits me better. I don't have a lot of time to play and jumping into a game on LoL to have fun is much easier from my experience. DoTa 2 is gets too serious. There are elements that both have though I wish they adopted from each other.

There are a few people in Heroes of Newerth that charge $100+ an hour per person to "train" them, or "carry" them.

These people can "train" 4 people at a time, that's $400+ an hour.

There are a few people in Heroes of Newerth that charge $100+ an hour per person to "train" them, or "carry" them.

These people can "train" 4 people at a time, that's $400+ an hour.

Advertising and doing are vastly different things.

Back