be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 LGA 1150 CPU Air Cooler @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Last edited:
Yeah its a nice looking cooler, that also preforms great.

Its a bid cheaper her in the EU, but not mouth, with its $93 before tax in The Netherlands.

But specially if you have a windowed case, and you wane have a cool looking cooler, it properly ends up on your short list!

Last edited:
Nice review. I guess if you are OCing the hell out of a CPU, $100 is worth it, but Jesus that 's a lot of cash for cooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you check the link i posted it is 69$ now there but yes it is high most places .
I don't think Newegg even carry Be quiet .

Thanks for the review :) ... looks like a tremendous cooler. The price as mentioned I think is due to EUR/USD exchange rate + import duties

The biggest issue from my point of view is simply size (maybe even the weight on the mobo could be an issue) ... i wonder if one is better off at this point with something along the lines of a Corsair water coooler

Last edited:
Nice review. Looks like a pretty decent cooler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the review :) ... looks like a tremendous cooler. The price as mentioned I think is due to EUR/USD exchange rate + import duties

The biggest issue from my point of view is simply size (maybe even the weight on the mobo could be an issue) ... i wonder if one is better off at this point with something along the lines of a Corsair water coooler
from a cooling point something like H100i/H110 is better but what always stops me is dependability .
With HS fan even if fan crapped out you still get some cooling affect .
With water if fans go out or pump stops your dead in the water :) .
And if the plastic degrades on pump or rad even worse would be leaking on system components .

A 33% lower price, would that not not change the price performance ratio, and its silver to gold reward?

You mentioned the Mugen 4 being a similar performer if you stick 2 fans on it, but the Mugen is all ready 2db louder whit one fan, with 2 fans i think it would be at least around 6db louder.

Next to that, the Mugen 4 looks like a Toyota Camry, whats is ok, as it dose what it suppose to do, but the DRP2 looks like a freaking Ferrari! :cool:

Whit those kind of performances, and specially looks for $70 i think its a really great product.
The problem with that price of 69$ , it is not constant , tomorrow it could go back to up normal 99$ price point . (I watch that site a bit lately and prices swing a lot but you can get good deal when on sale) .

Too bad this thing won't fit in my Inwin D frame case. I've got a brand new Swiftech H220 sitting in a box cause the last 2 crapped out on me and I have no interest installing it again.

Hey Kyle, want to do a review on the Swiftech H220? I'll lend it to you for a review.

Too bad this thing won't fit in my Inwin D frame case. I've got a brand new Swiftech H220 sitting in a box cause the last 2 crapped out on me and I have no interest installing it again.

Hey Kyle, want to do a review on the Swiftech H220? I'll lend it to you for a review.

Don't want to go OT but curious, what was problem with H220 ?

A 33% lower price, would that not not change the price performance ratio, and its silver to gold reward?

Next to that, the Mugen 4 looks like a Toyota Camry, whats is ok, as it dose what it suppose to do, but the DRP2 looks like a freaking Ferrari! :cool:

Whit those kind of performances, and specially looks for $70 i think its a really great product.

So we should go back and change our conclusion because it went on sale for 24 hours? Do we go back and change the conclusion again when it goes off sale?

Yes, we specifically pointed out the cool aesthetic factors.

Yes, for $70, it certainly shows a lot more value, just like we pointed out in the review.

shame you didnt add the noctua d-14.

The D-14 has been out for a long time, but we will be covering it soon as there is an updated D-14 about to be released in Q1.

New NH-D14 in the works? I'm curious as to what they changed but I'm sure we'll find out when the review goes live. Thanks for the hard work Kyle and crew. Always love the no BS style of product reviews.

Just get a D5 pump, mine two in line D5s are 7y old, and still going strong 24/7, its a industrial quality pump whit a operation time of at least 50.000h

Got a link?

Edit: nevermind. Just saw it. Can't use it with my case. What I might do is add a 2nd reservoir. When the pump goes high speed air always get's in the pump even though it has a small reservoir at the top of the radiator.

Last edited:
Can't use it with my case. What I might do is add a 2nd reservoir. When the pump goes high speed air always get's in the pump even though it has a small reservoir at the top of the radiator.
Why don't you use a bay res, i build many WC sets, and a bay res is usually the most efficient solution.

Never seen problems with air getting in to the loop, also a bay res lets you see if there is any problem whit the flow or coolant level.

But there are more solutions, the DDC pumps, also from the German Laing, and even do smaller in size and flow, still more then enough for 90% of the WC setups, and is as popular under users as its big brother the D5.

From what i hear from the overclockers.com WC forum section, http://www.frozencpu.com is also a good source of WC parts.

I had a Scythe Mugen 2 on my Q9550 (oc'd to 3.5GHz) and it was great. I had to move my pc to the attic which got a lot warmer in the summer so I added a second fan and it still impressed. When I upgraded to my 3770k (@ 4.5GHz) though, it couldn't cope with the extra heat, and the reviews I read semed to say that the Mugen 3 didn't really cool a whole lot better so I got the Dark Rock Pro 2 and I could not be happier. I know it costs a chunk more (I paid $75 for mine) but the quality of the engineering to me makes it worth the extra, and the temp/noise combination that I get just seals the deal. Granted, if the Scythe Mugen 4 had been available last year then maybe I would have thought twice but I can honestly say that I feel that it was money well spent.

Although the performance is awesome, but the cooler is way too big. Installation is a pain. Blocks all your memory slots, which restricts you in using low profile ram modules. I would get the Noctua U14S over this, even if it is a couple degrees warmer than the Dark Rock Pro 2.

Back