Google Wants to Patent ‘Heart’ Gesture for Google Glass

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you didn’t think Google Glass wearers look strange enough just wearing the frames, add in some goofy hand gestures to complete the picture. Hard to tell if everyone is going to heart this new feature to Google Glass, but it looks like Google plans to try. :D

According to the filing, Google wants to patent the heart hand gesture so that a "wearable computing device, which could include a head-mounted display (HMD) and a video camera, may recognize known hand gestures and carry out particular actions in response."

Google is so horrible, I don't even consider them a pure technology company anymore, just the first and biggest of a long line of technology-based advertisers who likes to bomb markets worse than Microsoft ever did. Give them a few bullshit patents and allow them to steal valuable patents from Apple (the "Steve Jobs" touch patents) and Nokia to use on Android and they turn into a worse version of the old school bullies (IBM/Microsoft/Oracle).

Google is so horrible, I don't even consider them a pure technology company anymore, just the first and biggest of a long line of technology-based advertisers who likes to bomb markets worse than Microsoft ever did. Give them a few bullshit patents and allow them to steal valuable patents from Apple (the "Steve Jobs" touch patents) and Nokia to use on Android and they turn into a worse version of the old school bullies (IBM/Microsoft/Oracle).

The Steve Jobs patents were obvious and prior art existed. So how exactly do you steal something thay should never have been valid to begin with?

Do you expect Google to not make these patents knowing they may very likely be sued by their competitors? It's not Google's fault; it's patent law that's causing the behavior.

This patent sounds overreaching. They will probably get it if they pay the right people.

Fuck no... fuck no with a rusty chainsaw up their ass.

I mean what the hell, how can they patent a heart gesture? I'm pretty sure "prior art" exists here in that others have used it already.

I can understand if the image recognition software is what is being patented but they should not be given a patent for every hand gesture they can recognize. If they win this, I got a hand gesture for the USPTO that I'd like them to see ... if it's patentable

A new low by google.
The Steve Jobs patents were obvious and prior art existed. So how exactly do you steal something thay should never have been valid to begin with?

Except that patent has been upheld even after re-examination.

I have no idea how to respond to this news, has Google become Apple, because I thought they were the only arsehats that would patent a gesture?

From what I understand, Google isn't patenting the particular gesture itself, but rather the use of hand gesture with HMD and how it could work.

Still, I think its a dumb idea to be walking around flashing a heart gesture to take pictures.

Hey, Google. Patent this !

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Back