Apple's Touch-Screen Patent Upheld by USPO

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
A patent granted in 2008 and invalidated by the US Patent Office last December, has again been reinstated by the Patent Office after a re-examination of the original claims.

The patent, referred to by many as "the Steve Jobs patent," covers a "touch-screen device, method, and graphical user interface for determining commands by applying heuristics."

Patents may have been a good thing back in the day, but now they're just being used to piss off and screw with competition so they have to stop doing things a certain way. I say abolish the whole system. If a company has the resources to make something a certain way then they should damn well be allowed to even if another company does that too. So what's going to happen now, non apple phones have to go back to using buttons only?

Non apple companies pay apple so they don't have to use buttons. Apple becomes more rich with everyone paying them to use their wheel err touch screen technology.

Apple sure knows how to grease the hands of the right people...
It is amazing what a few whispers from Obama does...first the ban, and now this...

Apple sure knows how to grease the hands of the right people...
It is amazing what a few whispers from Obama does...first the ban, and now this...

Someone in the administration is probably tired of his AAPL stock losing value.

Man I cannot stand all things Apple these days. What do you do when you can no longer innovate? Capitalize on the inventions of your jailbreak community (If it weren't for them, you'd be screwed), while at the same time stabbing said community in the back by blocking the jailbreak. Oh yeah, and then go after other companies that are still innovating with patent lawsuits on the things you think you once invented.

The Iphone would be so much better if the folks at Apple could get down off their high horse and start copying some of their competitors..

People at the patent office need flat out fired.
Touch screen interface was in use well before Apple made it mainstream via their iShit.
Apple needs to get off their high horses and try to get in the lead instead of playing catch up to Android.

A wire to support national business went out and they stuck to it hard.

Apple is every bit as foreign AND domestic as Samsung is. Samsung did not grease the correct palms, or wrap their lips around the correct penis. Business as usual in the DC.

Yes, the Patent Office is thoroughly incompetent--it's a bad joke, and on the American people, too. Apple is like a cancer that needs to be cut out of the face of US technology before it completely kills the host.

Apple needs to get off their high horses and try to get in the lead instead of playing catch up to Android.
No need to innovate when you have a government to prevent your competition from existing.

And people continue to erroneously believe that governments are there to foster competition in the market. HAH!

First touch screen cellphone was made by IBM in 1993. The tech behind it was 25 years old at the time.

People at the patent office need flat out fired.
Touch screen interface was in use well before Apple made it mainstream via their iShit.

Hey man, nobody created rounded corners before Apple did.

I'd say 1/3 of the blame belongs to the government bureaucracy that passes these requests, and 2/3 belongs to the child-raping lawyers representing Apple who dream up this shit.

On subject of patents, are these things international or national? Ex: Do Canadian and other country companies have to comply to these? To me the answer to this patent trolling is simple if patents are a national matter, companies just need to be based in other countries like Canada. I imagine the devices would end up banned in the US though but people would find ways to get them I'm sure.

On subject of patents, are these things international or national? Ex: Do Canadian and other country companies have to comply to these? To me the answer to this patent trolling is simple if patents are a national matter, companies just need to be based in other countries like Canada. I imagine the devices would end up banned in the US though but people would find ways to get them I'm sure.

Each country grants its own patents ... the national patents granted by the USA only affect the USA market ... to sue a company in Germany you would need to have a German patent. Most companies will apply for patents across multiple geographies (if they have an important feature). Minor patents might not be worth the expense outside their own domestic market.

Back