Apple Looks To Ban Newer Samsung Phones

HardOCP News

[H] News
I am glad to see no one is getting petty. Especially considering the only reason Apple avoided a ban was the government stepped in. :rolleyes:

After successfully filing for an import ban against Samsung, which was recently upheld by the U.S. government, Apple is looking to add insult to injury by appealing elements of the International Trade Commission ruling it does not believe are harsh enough.

Well if you can't compete then get them banned, love apples tactics lately. Whaaa they sell alot of phones lets get them banned from the USA Whaaaa. Good grief our country has become a real crap hole lately between our pissing match between the parties in DC and how corporations and lobbyists are allowed to run rampant, Time to head to Canada or the UK.

So we can't have cool stuff because one company and probably one person at that company does not like it?

Way to ruin it for everyone.

didn't samsung just makea deal with apple to make the chips in the new iphones??? why do they even do business with them.

What ever happened to competition, instead of suing for monopoly using patents?

Protectionism. If Samsung wasn't foreign Apple would have been in deep shit. It's a pretty common practice in every country for governments to bend or even break the laws to favour domestic corporations, truth be told, but the US is such a massive market that the ramifications can be devastating for the losers. The stakes are just way higher, especially in a market that is dominated by the two players in the lawsuit.

I think the ban probably had more to do with getting Korea to import more US stuff (particularly American cars). It's more about retaliation. Asian countries tend to protect their own interests within their borders while taking full advantage of trade elsewhere, which in turn is basically more take and less give. Now, the trade deficit is not nearly as big as the US-China one, but I still think if Korea won't reciprocate free trade with the US, then the US should definitely protect their own businesses.

didn't samsung just makea deal with apple to make the chips in the new iphones??? why do they even do business with them.

Big companies can have lots of divisions. If Samsung's chip division is the best supplier for the iPhone, Apple isn't necessarily going to go to a worse supplier just because Samsung's phone division is their top competitor in the phone market, and Samsung's chip division isn't necessarily going to turn away business because Apple is competing with another division of their company. And if they're already locked into contracts, they can't just get out of them because of a lawsuit, even if this becomes big enough that they want to completely halt doing business with each other.

Apple is too awesome to compete. There's no comparison, and their stock is only 40% down from it's peak.

I couldn't find which products would be affected... but something tells me in the end it won't work much to Apple's advantage. Unless we're talking S4s and Note 3s, and those won't be banned 'cause the telecoms would riot.

The really scary thing here is that Apple is trying to negate the workarounds Samsung has come up with to avoid patent infringement. Isn't that essentially saying well what you do is close enough to our patent to not be different so I can sue you anyways.

I couldn't find which products would be affected... but something tells me in the end it won't work much to Apple's advantage. Unless we're talking S4s and Note 3s, and those won't be banned 'cause the telecoms would riot.

By the time the ban goes into effect, oficially, the GS4 and Note 3 will be antiquated devices.

Oh, Apple. A shadow of its former self.

What is it about the recent Samsung smartphones, that could be used by Apple against Samsung.
The current Samsung lineup does not look like anything Samsung is making.

As if IOS 7 hadn't done enough damage.

It makes me want to buy Samsung stuff just because I feel sorry they are being bothered by Apple. It's like the bully at school.

Apple's legal tax evasion makes me question if banning Samsung products is bad news for an economy in desperate need of income.

Wow! All this over a rectangle with rounded corners?

I think the ban probably had more to do with getting Korea to import more US stuff (particularly American cars). It's more about retaliation. Asian countries tend to protect their own interests within their borders while taking full advantage of trade elsewhere, which in turn is basically more take and less give. Now, the trade deficit is not nearly as big as the US-China one, but I still think if Korea won't reciprocate free trade with the US, then the US should definitely protect their own businesses.

This has been going on for decades why would our government suddenly give a shit now?

Android phones in general should be banned. Horrible contraptions.

We all know damn well it started with apple and Samsung filed a counter suit. Lets not insult our own intelligence. Since Apple made that stupid mistake this has been going back and fourth for years.

How much would Apple lose in sales if they cut off Apple?
If Apple were unable to produce or drastically reduce availability of iPhones, iPods and iPads because they were unable to get their cpus, screens and memory wouldn't that increase Samsung Android sales?
I know they'd feel it more at first but over time they should pick up the sales in other areas.

I imagine apple would lost a lot of sales if they cut off apple.

Seriously though, there are a lot of intangible benefits that Samsung gets by being the supplier to Apple. What ever apple wants to do CPU wise, Samsung will know about it far enough ahead of time they can be ready to counter, because Apple has to tell them and show them the plans etc.... This is really the big issue that Apple has, they think they can design something and not allow the supplier to do the same. Sorry apple that's why you don't out source, because you lost control and the element of surprise. If apple wants to move to 16 core SOCs Samsung will know, if they want to heavily increase the GPU Samsung will know. Also the total flow of SOCs through Samsung facilities helps them increase total volume and build more facilities. Everyone knows that silicone is a brutal business and if you aren't big its pretty hard to survive. Think of it like, say you deliver pizzas and you are going to deliver some to your competitor, at first you say why? But then he says I will buy you a car, so you take it because your direct competitor invested in your infrastructure. Now you get to deliver Pizzas on a free car. And if your competitor decides he wants to offer a new topping, you are going to know about it before the customers receive any.

Also apple will not have a problem finding suppliers lots of companies line up to give bids. TSMC whatever, the brilliance of Apple is they can sell their customers just about anything and spin it as amazing. They sold them garbage LCD screens for 3 generations. So Apple can easily shop around, and I am sure right now a lot of up and coming Chinese suppliers are just waiting to get in on that action. So while Samsung may partially hate apple, they have to think that in reality Apple is not even remotely a threat to the company as a whole. What does Apple make that competes directly with Samsung? Finished phones and computers that is it, and Samsung makes a shit ton more products than that. But if Samsung's real competition gets these contracts then that could become a real threat to their vertical integration. Be it LG, or any new up and coming Chinese manufacturers of displays, SOCs, etc...

Also apple will not have a problem finding suppliers lots of companies line up to give bids. TSMC whatever, the brilliance of Apple is they can sell their customers just about anything and spin it as amazing. They sold them garbage LCD screens for 3 generations. So Apple can easily shop around, and I am sure right now a lot of up and coming Chinese suppliers are just waiting to get in on that action. So while Samsung may partially hate apple, they have to think that in reality Apple is not even remotely a threat to the company as a whole. What does Apple make that competes directly with Samsung? Finished phones and computers that is it, and Samsung makes a shit ton more products than that. But if Samsung's real competition gets these contracts then that could become a real threat to their vertical integration. Be it LG, or any new up and coming Chinese manufacturers of displays, SOCs, etc...

Yes Samsung was mostly concerned with the Japanese producers and they have pretty much dominated to the point almost all the big companies have backed out of their markets.

the brilliance of Apple is they can sell their customers just about anything and spin it as amazing. They sold them garbage LCD screens for 3 generations.

What generations were those again? I had a 4, 4S,and a 5 and the screens were better then the HTC's and Samsung's I saw that were available at the time. Because "garbage" would indicate a pretty drastic difference.

An Anandtech article or something that shows how bad the screen and lighting were would be really helpful.

What ever apple wants to do CPU wise, Samsung will know about it far enough ahead of time they can be ready to counter, because Apple has to tell them and show them the plans etc.... This is really the big issue that Apple has, they think they can design something and not allow the supplier to do the same.

This is covered by NDA's and I would hope that most any major manufacturer would follow this, as it can have huge legal implications. I work for a domestic semiconductor company and we do a lot of business for Apple. The engineers here do a very good job of not discussing the products they are working on until after the NDA's are lifted.

Yes, Apple does actually employee American workers in the semiconductor industry right here in America.

Bans CAN be ignored. In fact, ask Microsoft who happens to have a similar issue going on with Motorola, but it's not making headlines

Link

The U.S. International Trade Commission in Washington issued the import ban in May 2012 after deciding that Motorola Mobility devices infringed a Microsoft patent for a way mobile phones synchronize calendar events with other computers. Microsoft’s lawsuit, filed yesterday in Washington, says that order isn’t being enforced.

The mother ship blast off can't come fast enough for me. This company has become a sty on the face of competitive free enterprise. (I do my bit here on Earth by not owning a single Apple product, and plan to keep it that way.)

Same reason Samsung make most of the screens, no one else can make the volume demanded, or meet the low failure rate.

Back