What Comes Next After Windows 8.1?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Windows 8.1 isn't officially out yet and we are already worried about what is coming next? :rolleyes: My money is on Windows 9. :D

Right now — and this may change — the idea is to deliver a "major" release of "Windows" in the Spring of 2015. My aforementioned source says this major release will be a kind of hybrid that will bring the current Windows and Windows Phone OSes closer together. This is most likely when the rumored unified Windows and Windows Phone Store will debut. (There could be a unified developer portal, allowing developers to submit apps for both platforms before the actual store materializes, I'm hearing.)

bring windows closer to phones?

are you freaking kidding me??

I may indeed stay on 7 forever

Basically, they are saying we'll be with Windows 7 for a long while yet.

I'm sure Microsoft thinks that the Metro UI was such a good idea, that there won't be a desktop UI in Windows 9. It'll be tiles and squares for everyone. Don't like it? Too bad.

On the plus side I may install Linux Mint on my PC and forget there was this Windows OS thing.
tiles-01.jpg

Windows One... and then they will have multiple versions.. which will then get ridiculed. Windows One Home. Windows One Enterprise. Windows One Media Center.

A lot of wrech0 vs heatlesssun pissing contests.

AFAIC until they return the desktop to the same desktop that was prevalent from 95 through 7, they can do whatever else they want....IMHO 7 is damn near perfect; if they gave it a few of the better bells and whistles out of 8 like the task manager, faster boot, better defense....call it 9, I'm on board on day 1.

If they stick with the touchscreen stuff for people who don't own touchscreens - no thanks.

I hope they do bring Windows more in line with Windows Phone, at least on tablets. Windows Phone is a lot better than the current WinRT experience.

Hopefully they also realize that they need desktop-style applications for desktops and laptops or they're going to get killed. I really hope they don't keep all the new hotness only for full screen apps like they did with Windows 8. It's annoying to be seeing a new revision of the Windows APIs only to not be able to use them at all. The current desktop Windows programming environment is a hodge-podge or outdated technology. What happened to "developers, developers, developers" Microsoft? Did that leave with Balmer? (Or more accurately 2 years before Balmer).

AFAIC until they return the desktop to the same desktop that was prevalent from 95 through 7, they can do whatever else they want....IMHO 7 is damn near perfect; if they gave it a few of the better bells and whistles out of 8 like the task manager, faster boot, better defense....call it 9, I'm on board on day 1.

It has to be better. You can't walk backwards to catch up. There are a lot of problems with Windows: lack of consistency, huge number of competing APIs, massive legacy overhead, terrible DPI scaling and plenty more. If they don't build something better than old Windows people will just use Windows 7 for the next 8 years.

If they stick with the touchscreen stuff for people who don't own touchscreens - no thanks.

^ This.
I wish Microsoft would stop thinking everyone is using touchscreens and tablets. Not us power users, I'll stick with a keyboard and mouse.

Rumors about future versions of Windows are completely and utterly worthless until a new CEO is chosen. We cannot possibly guess what direction that new CEO will choose to take with Windows.

The rumors you're hearing now are about what Ballmer wanted to do, and he is gone, probably because the board of directors disagreed with what he wanted to do.

My guess is MS will have seen the outrage windows 8 caused and they'll go back to something that is more windows 7 style.

On the other hand, it does not matter what they put out it will still sell millions of copies because the general public is uninformed and just sees "oh new shiny!!!" and buys it. So they might keep trying to push the phone/tablet stuff. It seems it's in every tech manufacturer's agenda these days to kill the keyboard and mouse, so they might just keep trying to do that.

Dear Santa:
For Christmas please bring me extra copies of Windows 7 x64.
. . .And put coal in the stocking of anyone at MS that is thinking of locking down DX updates.

I'm sure Microsoft thinks that the Metro UI was such a good idea, that there won't be a desktop UI in Windows 9. It'll be tiles and squares for everyone. Don't like it? Too bad.

On the plus side I may install Linux Mint on my PC and forget there was this Windows OS thing.
tiles-01.jpg
Why did you post a screen pic of a fisher price starter computer? My bad, that's win 8.... ;)

I wish they would just separate the dam OS's and get it over with already.....

A lot of wrech0 vs heatlesssun pissing contests.

I'm constantly amazed by how people on a forum dedicated to pushing technology, always clamoring for something new, are adamant about using the exact same operating system into perpetuity.

Dear Santa:
For Christmas please bring me extra copies of Windows 7 x64.
. . .And put coal in the stocking of anyone at MS that is thinking of locking down DX updates.

DirectX updates are already tied to Windows releases. Windows 7 is on DX11; 8 uses 11.1, which, despite the innocuous version numbering is actually a decent improvement; and 8.1 uses 11.2. The next version of Windows will have another version of DirectX that won't be released on earlier platforms.

Really, if gaming is your #1 priority, then you should already be on Windows 8 and ready to update to 8.1 tomorrow.

I'm constantly amazed by how people on a forum dedicated to pushing technology, always clamoring for something new, are adamant about using the exact same operating system into perpetuity.
Its not that its the same OS, its the method to use it.

Its not that its the same OS, its the method to use it.

Windows 7 is popular because its usability wasn't a radical departure from XP, which is somehow held in warm regard and still used by a significant number. And yet, 8 is not fundamentally different from 7 once you get to the desktop.

8 missteps when you need to interact with system functions from the desktop, namely with the hot corners and Charms bar garbage. Otherwise, the Start Screen is basically a full screen Start Menu with a Windows Phone theme, and the UI overall does not warrant the obstinance on display in every thread ever about 8. And I say this as someone who thinks Windows is generally a junk OS and uses OS X as his primary OS.

So again, if gaming is your #1 priority—and around here it certainly should be—then there's no reason not to be on 8 right now and 8.1 tomorrow afternoon.

Windows days are numbered. The world demands mobility and laptops are becoming the less desired platform for it.

Windows 7 is popular because its usability wasn't a radical departure from XP, which is somehow held in warm regard and still used by a significant number. And yet, 8 is not fundamentally different from 7 once you get to the desktop.

8 missteps when you need to interact with system functions from the desktop, namely with the hot corners and Charms bar garbage. Otherwise, the Start Screen is basically a full screen Start Menu with a Windows Phone theme, and the UI overall does not warrant the obstinance on display in every thread ever about 8. And I say this as someone who thinks Windows is generally a junk OS and uses OS X as his primary OS.

So again, if gaming is your #1 priority—and around here it certainly should be—then there's no reason not to be on 8 right now and 8.1 tomorrow afternoon.
Yeah, I am still on 7 and have tried 8. I didn't mind it after installing classic shell. I personally don't like the corner link thing and the tiles. Linux mint started on the corner popup crap which kind of sucks.
I think win 8 can be great if they separated them into desktop/laptop and tablet/phone(touch) OS's.

Windows days are numbered. The world demands mobility and laptops are becoming the less desired platform for it.
Well tablets are nice since they do have the power(run apps/multi-task) and the screens are pretty good size with excellent resolution/clarity.
The part I don't like is touching a screen. I don't keep wipes or hand cleaner near me at all times. :D

I'm constantly amazed by how automobile manufacturers are adamant about "clinging to" the steering wheel. Oh that's right, because IT JUST WORKS.

See what I did there? The desktop and start menu just work. Just because Metro is new and Microsoft has tablet and phone ambitions doesn't mean its everyone else's burden including desktop users - even though they'd like it to be.

DirectX updates are already tied to Windows releases. Windows 7 is on DX11; 8 uses 11.1, which, despite the innocuous version numbering is actually a decent improvement; and 8.1 uses 11.2. The next version of Windows will have another version of DirectX that won't be released on earlier platforms.

And you see no problem with Microsoft holding DX improvements hostage behind a Windows upgrade paywall? Then you're part of the problem if not an employee or investor. Do tell.

My guess is MS will have seen the outrage windows 8 caused and they'll go back to something that is more windows 7 style.

On the other hand, it does not matter what they put out it will still sell millions of copies because the general public is uninformed and just sees "oh new shiny!!!" and buys it. So they might keep trying to push the phone/tablet stuff. It seems it's in every tech manufacturer's agenda these days to kill the keyboard and mouse, so they might just keep trying to do that.

Let's talk honest for a second here.

Microsoft could literally -- LITERALLY -- serve the populace a turd on a plate and everyone will ask if they can at least have a salt shaker.

There is no need for Microsoft to care even the slightest whim about the needs and desires of its customers. None. They have no choice and they will take what is served to them.

Rumors about future versions of Windows are completely and utterly worthless until a new CEO is chosen. We cannot possibly guess what direction that new CEO will choose to take with Windows.

The rumors you're hearing now are about what Ballmer wanted to do, and he is gone, probably because the board of directors disagreed with what he wanted to do.
More likely he did exactly what they wanted and they blame Microsoft's issues on his execution and not their direction.

And people wonder why Gabe Newell thinks SteamOS has a shot.

Gaming and desktop operating systems are two entirely different worlds that should never be compared. I give him credit for taking a risk on something like SteamOS. He sees something that is wide open for the taking and is placing his bet accordingly.

Why does Microsoft always have to change a good thing.

Windows 95....Windows Millenium... Windows Vista....(Seems to always skip a version)

Better Windows 98 (Second Edition), Windows 2000, Windows XP (only exception), Windows 7. Better ones.

Except Windows 2000 to XP why is their always a crappy version to a good version usually. Why couldn't they have built on success of Windows 7. If I wanted a tablet o/s, I would have bought a tablet. I am hoping new windows after 8.1 its better but I having my doubts.

I'm constantly amazed by how automobile manufacturers are adamant about "clinging to" the steering wheel. Oh that's right, because IT JUST WORKS.

See what I did there? The desktop and start menu just work. Just because Metro is new and Microsoft has tablet and phone ambitions doesn't mean its everyone else's burden including desktop users - even though they'd like it to be.

Bingo.

I mean, WTH, we should still have crank starters and clutches on the steering column. What is with all this new fangled stuff you young ones are trying to get us to use. :rolleyes:

Fixed that for you.

No, Windows days really are numbered, however, it might be better said as years.

Microsoft is doing a wonderful job at shooting themselves in the foot in the tablet and desktop operating system markets, the price point of Mac Minis is enticing and more and more people are willing to pay the premium on a Macbook, and Tablets can do what the vast majority of home users need out of a computer.

Personally, I am very much enjoying what is available now. Of course, I also used OS/2 and the Amiga so, I guess I do not have to cling to a start menu for dear life.

No, Windows days really are numbered, however, it might be better said as years.

Microsoft is doing a wonderful job at shooting themselves in the foot in the tablet and desktop operating system markets, the price point of Mac Minis is enticing and more and more people are willing to pay the premium on a Macbook, and Tablets can do what the vast majority of home users need out of a computer.

Mac Mini's are no where near enticing unless you like a computer with no keyboard, monitor or mouse. Also, I do not know where you get that info that people are willing to pay a premium for Mac Books because, from where I sit in this industry, I see more or less the exact opposite.

Back