Battlefield 4 Beta Gameplay and Performance Preview

HardOCP News

[H] News
The HotHardware crew has put together a Battlefield 4 beta gameplay and performance preview for your viewing pleasure. For those of you that might have missed it, you can see our BF4 beta article here.

Sometimes, enough modest changes evolve into an entirely new product, and when you factor in the tessellation improvements, terrain deformation, Mantle API support, enhanced audio cues, and better particle effects, that's what BF4 is shaping up to be.

They ran the benchmarks in Windows 7 most likely which explains why the minimum fps on the Nvidia card is a lot lower. Game is optimized more for 8.

They ran the benchmarks in Windows 7 most likely which explains why the minimum fps on the Nvidia card is a lot lower. Game is optimized more for 8.

Then why wouldn't it affect the AMD card?

^^ It would. I don't understand his logic either.

Their experience mimic'd mine -- very hitchy with craptastic minimums on my 680. I'm chalking it up to the beta.

until there is an actual demo that can be used to repeat test, then these comparisons cant really be used with much validity. The results on a live 64p server are just far to random.

^^ It would. I don't understand his logic either.

Their experience mimic'd mine -- very hitchy with craptastic minimums on my 680. I'm chalking it up to the beta.

Nope it's windows 7. I had the same problem until I upgraded to windows 8. Same 680. Much better performance.

Just to make sure I understand, this whole "levolution" thing is just a series of scripted events right? It sounds like they're trying to make it out to be procedural destruction of large scale models resulting in permanent map deformation invoking new strategies. But my guess is that these huge buildings and ships crashing into land and stuff always crash in the exact same manner. So basically it's a half time treat and then everybody takes the known detours around it once it's over. Is that about right?

Just to make sure I understand, this whole "levolution" thing is just a series of scripted events right? It sounds like they're trying to make it out to be procedural destruction of large scale models resulting in permanent map deformation invoking new strategies. But my guess is that these huge buildings and ships crashing into land and stuff always crash in the exact same manner. So basically it's a half time treat and then everybody takes the known detours around it once it's over. Is that about right?

If you are expecting completely on the fly damage and each building to be able to collapse in a unique way every time it gets brought down, we are a long way away from that in a 32+ player FPS. The only game right now or that has been announced that could do it is Planetside 2 using the technology from Everquest Next.

The building was only player controlled in terms of the timing of when the event occurred, sometimes the building stays up the entire round others it's taken down at the start.

Undoubtedly the heavy scripting of set piece destruction will be blamed on the necessity for the game to work on xbox360/PS3 - unification of gameplay across all platforms, only the visual fidelity is allowed to scale up. It's impressive that they can get this to work at all given that limitation in place. Personally I still prefer the destruction in Bad Company 2 where you could take chunks of buildings down with a single M203 grenade.

Pretty much... Though in the beta map, the levelution was a central point in conquest. At start of game the conquest point was a penthouse suite on the top of a tall skyscrapper in the middle of the map. Once the players destroyed 4 supports on ground level the whole thing collapsed into a big pile of rubble still with the conquest point.

The change in map tactics is pretty dramatic, tower up team that controlled the point has high ground and can 'chute to almost any point on the map (AND have high ground on those points too). After... its a fish barrel for every sniper on every roof top of the map.

But as you said, it is scripted and in most cases the tower should come down quickly just because of the advantage one team has over the other (at least in the beta map). So yes it did become a sort of "normal" thing... but what mechanic isn't eventually?

Giving/buffing health is a common staple in multiplayer FPS does that make it pointless and stupid?

Hopefully they will get back to BCBF2 destruction at some point, but with the density of the city maps, I doubt we will see that anytime soon. If everything in Siege of Shanghai was destructible, I would be over the top happy, but I think its several generations away.

Back