Humans Beat Robots

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news! Once the robots take over (and they will), some humans will still have a job. :D

The human supermarket checker is superior to the self-checkout machine in almost every way. The human is faster. The human has a more pleasing, less buggy interface. The human doesn't expect me to remember or look up codes for produce, she bags my groceries, and unlike the machine, she isn't on hair-trigger alert for any sign that I might be trying to steal toilet paper.

Why is it when you go to the self-checkout lane, that it seems like everyone who is currently operating one has never used them before? It happens every time

Those "item detected in bagging area" makes me not want to use them. They could be faster (for most small trips) but they shoot themselves in the foot trying to make sure you're not stealing.

what makes me chuckle about all those self check out lines is how there is always someone on staff busy running from machine to machine helping people check out..

LOL

I think it is mostly a PEBKAC error or would that be PEBCAF. People are stupid.

My point is explained in the thesis abstract "Data for this study were collected by observations of checkout processes at Wal-Mart Super Centers in the Jackson, Mississippi, area." WTF really.

My point is explained in the thesis abstract "Data for this study were collected by observations of checkout processes at Wal-Mart Super Centers in the Jackson, Mississippi, area." WTF really.

Are you saying people in Jackson, Mississippi are stupid?

If so, carry on :D

My two cents about self checkouts. Meijer has the best self checkout ive ever used. In fact its the biggest reason I shop at Meijer over Walmart. There is never a line (at least not when im shopping) Its much faster then a clerk because I go at my own pace. Typically bug free from my experiences. The only clerk that is faster then me is probably an Aldi clerk, they are smoking fast... then again there is almost always a line because they are understaffed.

Self checkout is great when you only have two or three items, and the express lanes are full...But I try to avoid going to Wal-Mart, especially at night when all the odd people (Like the lady that just stood at the checkout section staring at you the whole time you are there) seem to be there.

They need to have lines, in stores, for people who have their shit together ....

None of this taking forever to make change, or find your air miles card .... get that stuff ready when you are waiting in line.

The problem with self checkouts is that most people are Effing Stupid. I can get through a self checkout faster than basically every single cashier I have ever dealt with. I can also bag my own stuff better because I don't pack chemicals with food or over fill bags. It enrages me every time I get stuck waiting on some tard who could obviously barely dress themselves trying and failing miserably to operate these things.

If I have to use a Self-Checkout then I expect a discount. Why should I pay the same for my goods as the people who have a human checkout operator do the work for them?

I prefer the human checkout anyway. I'd rather do my bit to help employment than help the store's profit margin.

The self-checkout at my local library is 50x better than it was years ago when you had to wait in line and have a clerk manually scan and stamp each book. Now all I have to do is have it scan the barcode on my library card and I place up to 5 items on the mat. It detects them in the matter of a second, showing the barcode/name/author on the screen. I can also check if I have any overdue item(s). Finally it can either print out a receipt or send it to my email. :D

Why is it when you go to the self-checkout lane, that it seems like everyone who is currently operating one has never used them before? It happens every time

ATMs are no different. What takes me 15-30 seconds takes others 5-10 minutes. I see people hunting and pecking at keys on an ATM and I'm left wondering if they're retarded, drunk, or an alzheimer's patient.

my self checkout can go real fast until I have to whip out the fruit. But it sure beats waiting for someone who is who begins to dig around through the purse looking for recipients, checkbook, or that 3rd credit card well after the checkout lady has already bagged the groceries.

That's why there have been studies showing self checkout lines along with express lines typically will have you waiting in line longer than you should. I know stereotyping is "wrong", but you need to look at every lane and judge for yourself who will most likely finish up first. Remember, 10 bags of produce will more often than not take longer to scan than 25 bags of marked goods.

That's why there have been studies showing self checkout lines along with express lines typically will have you waiting in line longer than you should. I know stereotyping is "wrong", but you need to look at every lane and judge for yourself who will most likely finish up first. Remember, 10 bags of produce will more often than not take longer to scan than 25 bags of marked goods.

Racist! Sexist! Ageist! :p

If I have to use a Self-Checkout then I expect a discount. Why should I pay the same for my goods as the people who have a human checkout operator do the work for them?

I prefer the human checkout anyway. I'd rather do my bit to help employment than help the store's profit margin.

Other than 90% of people being too dumb to operate the things, if I go through self checkout when I normally go to the grocery store(when it's not busy) I can check myself out as fast as dealing with a human being and not have to interact with people that I don't want to.

"How are you doing today?"

I hate that question. No one wants to know how I'm really doing. What everyone does is fake an answer about being great, fine, good, whatever. I'd rather just get my groceries scanned and gtfo instead of having a halfassed conversation that I didn't want to have in the first place. Yes, I can just give some bs answer about how I'm doing just fine and dandy. The problem is the people ahead of you who want to spill their life story to the clerk slowing the entire line down.

Back to the masses of morons that can't use a self checkout...

How people cannot identify where the barcode on an item is in 2013 amazes me. We all know what they look like, yet if you go when it's busy there is always some idiot at the self checkout swinging an item past the scanner 20 times facing the wrong direction(which is pretty bad considering that the machines in my area can scan from 2 directions... yet people manage to fail this repeatedly with a 6 sided box). Then there's the produce. You hit the "no barcode" button, get a list of common produce with freakin' pictures, have a list on the side to select groups of letters from the alphabet, and the produce is listed in alphabetical order, with pictures. If you do not know that the item in your hand is a banana, go home. I'm not talking about people that might not have english as their first language, I'm not talking about someone trying to identify one of ten varieties of potato. Then even the people that can identify the items they're purchasing still somehow fail at the concept of touching a touch screen... and not someone's 80 year old grandmother either.

If society would quit being stupid, I'd prefer the self checkout 9 times out of 10.

Same crap at an ATM too. How is it 2013 and people still cannot operate an ATM? If the things weren't so slow, most of my transactions at an ATM would take 10 seconds. Swipe card, type pin, hit enter, hit withdraw, type amount, hit enter, done. I already know how much money I want to take out of the thing, I don't want to check balances in all of my accounts, sometimes I can even just hit the "Fast cash" and not have to type out the amount I want, yet you see idiots on a regular basis taking 5 minutes just to get 40 bucks.

Does this mean I still have a future as the subjugated sex slave of a gorgeous, wealthy fembot?

Unfortunately those pesky human checkout people cost more over time than their machine counterparts...

I'll use self-checkout when there are people waiting in the regular lines. I can check out pretty quickly.

lol yeah. same thing at the post office too. I'd love to see their confusion when they go to the ATM for the 100th time.

So wait the score is Humans 1, Robots 0 because a checker is faster than the average HUMAN at scanning their own shit. I can get through self check faster than a checker can check me out usually. Only when there's something I know is going to have an odd weight issues, i.e. if it's at Home Depot (yeah they have self checkout there) a longer object that doesn't have it's full weight on the scale/bagging area will trigger a FU.

As has already been said, i.e. retards using something they obviously have no business using, a human with the same exact device who's been "trained" to use it, can go faster than a human who isn't trained to use it.

Slowest checkouts often come from the one human "supervisor" too busy gabbing away or something to realize "oh shit someone just pulled a retard moment and put the item right back into the cart, the machine is gonna have a caniption fit."

Back