Jailing File-Sharers Does Not Increase Music Sales?

HardOCP News

[H] News
One the one hand, the threat of jail time seemed to deter people from sharing pirated music in Japan. On the other hand, music sales also fell drastically during the same time period. How do industry officials explain that?

One year ago Japan introduced a tough new law that was warmly welcomed by the music industry. From October 1 2012, those downloading copyrighted material without permission faced a potential two year jail sentence. But while users of Japan’s favorite P2P networks plummeted, sales have not been positively affected. Total music sales this year so far are down 7% on the same period last year, but digital sales are even worse – down 24% since the law was introduced.

Duh. Put your customers in jail and this is what happens. The problem is the entertainment industries still see things in black and white with no shades of gray. You either buy everything they pedal, or you pirate everything under the son.

Duh. Put your customers in jail and this is what happens. The problem is the entertainment industries still see things in black and white with no shades of gray. You either buy everything they pedal, or you pirate everything under the son.

Sun even.

yet the government could still do whatever they want. they will still jail you for indirect causes for something they dont like. hopefully when this generation of kids grow up and go into office, internet laws would be more fitting.

The problem is piracy-piracy, piracy that's so secret and so piratey they had to name it twice. It's so secret no one has ever seen it before. It's costing the industry trillions EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

"bucking the trend by embracing physical formats while lagging behind on digital."

Considering AKB48 only sells their CDs not because of the music but because of the accompanying raffle tickets to potentially be able to shake hands, take a picture and talk for 3 minutes with a member...other times it includes a 'vote' for their chosen member in the popularity polls. There are pictures of a single person buying 5 boxes of the album (so at least 500 CDs) to be able to vote for his favorite member.

Less often would be the raffle tickets to be able to 'date' a member for a night, those CDs have further price premiums as well.

Of course that's only one music group's story (the 'music' part being highly debatable, lol) with regards to their CDs...

I greatly reduced my music purchases when the RIAA started suing everybody. Screw them.

I greatly reduced my music purchases when the RIAA started suing everybody. Screw them.

I completely stopped buying music unless it is a video game soundtrack. I bought thousands of CD's and made bookshelves that went to the ceiling to hold them. After the Napster scare and them suing that woman for hundreds of thousands of dollars, I haven't purchased a CD since. I don't even bother to download music illegally. I will listen to something on Spotify or Pandora though from time to time.

I guess I'm the new consumer that they want. :)

I haven't downloaded anything illegal in years, but I can tell you that when I did I bought a lot more music/movies as well. Now I pretty much just watch whatever is on Netflix. Can't even justify spending money on movie tickets anymore since the price seems to go up on a weekly basis.

The problem is piracy-piracy, piracy that's so secret and so piratey they had to name it twice. It's so secret no one has ever seen it before. It's costing the industry trillions EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Mother of God. We need to bail out the music industry STAT.

I haven't downloaded anything illegal in years, but I can tell you that when I did I bought a lot more music/movies as well. Now I pretty much just watch whatever is on Netflix. Can't even justify spending money on movie tickets anymore since the price seems to go up on a weekly basis.

Shit, the last time I was in a theater they tried to hit me up for more money while leaving arguing that the ticket price went up mid-movie so I owed them a prorated ticket fee.

Shit, the last time I was in a theater they tried to hit me up for more money while leaving arguing that the ticket price went up mid-movie so I owed them a prorated ticket fee.

LOL, wow. Whoever tried that was a dumbfuck.

The giants fail to realize we listen to what WE WANT TO, not what they tell us to.
Artists can now distribute their own albums without the giants, its easy to find indy bands between social media sites and Youtube, and the giants' hand picked stars are no longer getting promoted the way they once were.
They're already dead, they just don't know it yet.

Back