Never buy anything from Asus! No warranty on the Phoebus!

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Your chat transcript
LiveChat <[email protected]> Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: Edited out my email address.

Your chat transcript

logo

Franklin Thu, 10/3/2013 11:02:02 am
Hello XXXXX, thank you for contacting ASUS support. Please give me a few moments to review your information. I will be with you shortly.

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:05:33 am
You there Steven T?

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:05:44 am
How may I assist you?

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:05:48 am
:)

My Asus Xonar Phoebus breakout box has a short in it. Is it possible to just send that part in for replacement or can you'll just send me one? I really hate to remove the entire thing as it's just the breakout box that is bad. It was purchased on January 10, 2013 from Amazon. Thank you. How much does the breakout box cost just for future reference.

I can take a screenshot of the invoice from Amazon if you need it. I didn't think to do so before I started the chat session though.

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:07:05 am
By breakout box, are you referring to the control box?

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:07:10 am
Yes

The card works fine but the control box has a short in it.

It disconnects from the main card.

It plugs into the card.

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:09:10 am
That being a non-serialized accessory, I am uncertain if it is covered under warranty.

One moment please while I verify.

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:09:29 am
ok

It comes with the Phoebus as part of the package though.

How much is the control box anyway?

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:10:22 am
We do not sell the control box as a standalone item.

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:10:28 am
ok

Hmm. So I have to send the entire thing in for warranty work?

I mean I can send you the receipt as all I need is the control box.

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:11:48 am
If we could get it in, we would need to RMA the entire card - as the card is the serialized product, and the warranty is tied directly to that serial number.

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:11:58 am
Oh ok.

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:12:01 am
I am still inquiring if that control box is repairable under warranty.

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:12:06 am
kk

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:13:16 am
Unfortunately, the control box itself is not covered under warranty.

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:13:41 am
Wow. Even though that it comes with the card?

That's crazy!

Ha ha

Well I guess that's fine. I didn't expect much today anyway.

Alright thanks Steven T.

Duration: 00:16:23

E-mail from LiveChat

So this is how Asus warranty works. Even though the control box is an integral part of the Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard it isn't covered under warranty. That's right no warranty. This company needs to DIAF.

Will never, ever, ever, order a damn thing from them again. Not even if they had the last cup of water on the earth!

Most of [H] is becoming Anti Asus from what ive noticed. I was a huge Asus customer (spent ~10-20k a year on their products) and now have switched to different companies for my various products. After several RMA issues, their GPU's catching fire and not being covered under warrenty when they are just a few months old. Im taking my business else where. Ive been a customer for 10+ years and wasn't a easy decision to make. They've forced my hands though.

I'm completely boycotting Asus from now on. I really like some of their support staff like Raja on the forums, but this company is terrible. I never heard of buying a product with a warranty and still not having a warranty.

I'm going to take the breakout box apart and try soldering it. This customer service is completely unacceptable! I just wanted to post this so that others considering Asus products realize what you get when you try to receive warranty service.

Be persistent. Some csr reps are just clueless. Don't have to get nasty with them, but don't take no for an answer.

This is pretty much standard practice for every retailer IME. If a part of the product is broken you have to take in the whole thing. If your muffler stops working eight hours after you buy a car you don't just send back the muffler as there is a high probability that is merely a symptom. It is a method of determining what went wrong with the product and if it needs to be recalled or revised. Better example might be that if you purchased the whole PC from ASUS (or DELL) and the GPU blew you wouldn't just send in the GPU but the whole rig (maybe it's a PSU problem, a MOBO problem, not enough case airflow, et cetera).

That said, the rest of those stories sound pret-ty bad.

This is pretty much standard practice for every retailer IME. If a part of the product is broken you have to take in the whole thing. If your muffler stops working eight hours after you buy a car you don't just send back the muffler as there is a high probability that is merely a symptom. It is a method of determining what went wrong with the product and if it needs to be recalled or revised. Better example might be that if you purchased the whole PC from ASUS (or DELL) and the GPU blew you wouldn't just send in the GPU but the whole rig (maybe it's a PSU problem, a MOBO problem, not enough case airflow, et cetera).

That said, the rest of those stories sound pret-ty bad.

They won't allow me to send it in just for the control box being broken. They will not even work on the control box if I were to send the entire card in. They say it's an nonserialized accessory. Meaning the control box doesn't have a serial number on it because it is considered an accessory. Without the control box I lose many features of my sound card. Thus I don't have warranty on the product. It would be the same thing as if I bought a car and the muffler fell off as I pulled out the dealership. I pull back into the dealership for warranty work and they tell me that it isn't covered under warranty because the muffler doesn't have a Vin number on it.

Last edited:
That does seem like a sucky policy, but I am wondering if this is more of a semantic issue. For instance, if you just told them "My Phoebus is broken" followed by a description of any demonstrable problem (ie there's buzzing when I try to connect to the port on the breakout box. Something is wrong with my card" etc.), maybe they'd be more receptive.

I know you want to do things the most efficient way and were being helpful and do-it-yourself by trying to narrow down or diagnose the problem, but sadly you're dealing with a system that is set up exclusively for "Its broke, fix it" queries and little else. I agree it shouldn't have to be this way, and I hope the Asus rep takes the time to note how many [H] users have complaints about how they handle RMAs, but if you want to get results, I suggest contacting again and "using the right buzzwords". They aren't set up to identify and send replacement parts (if it doesn't have a serial number, it doesn't exist); its the whole damn package that will be exchanged. Many companies do that when they find it cheaper. Also, you attempt to diagnose the problem is often rebuffed by companies, especially tech companies, under the idea that the user is a bloody idiot. Give them symptoms, let them make the diagnosis - even if it is just "its broken, send it back for RMA and we'll give you another".

Contact them again, talk about the item as an entire unit rather than composite parts, say quite simply what the symptoms seem to be, and if you want an item faster ask if they can do an Express RMA (Corsair is pretty good with this) if you give them a credit card where they send you a replacement first and then you put the old card etc.. in the box and send it back.

Hope this helps!

I don't know Xaeos. I'll try to play stupid and talk to another customer rep. But if they just send me another card with the same control box I sent in I'm still messed up. Or better yet they test the main card and determine that there isn't anything wrong with it and send it all back to me at my expense. I've been reading the Asus horror stories in other threads, and it might be in my best interest to not deal with their warranty service.

Thanks for the info. Asus just moved lower on my list as a result. However what sucks is that most companies are screwing us over, so it's hard to boycott when they all disrespect their customers.

A new low from Asus, not surprising tbh.
I stopped buying from them due to bad service over 2 years ago.

I sold all my Asus stuff a little while back. Still have one Asus 3d monitor and that Asus Pheobus sound card that I'm stuck with. Can't make but 2 beta drivers for a whole 1½ years is pretty crappy to begin with. Top that off with no digitally signed drivers or WHQL drivers. You got a mess waiting to happen. Seems Asus doesn't want to pay Microsoft to get their drivers approved. But you can go complain in the Asus ROG forum and get temp banned for speaking your mind about this sound card.

A new low from Asus, not surprising tbh.
I stopped buying from them due to bad service over 2 years ago.

Last edited:
But you can send the whole thing back RMA and get a new card, new box etc, right?

Have you tried calling them? E-mail and live chat are convenient but not very effective if you want something from someone.

Yeah, I'd at least try another rep (or two) to be sure...if that's true, that's one of the most ass-backwards warranty quirks I've ever seen. I could understand if it was just a cable, but it's not. :(

The overall impression I got is that they need you to send in the card along with the breakout box since the breakout box isn't a 'serialized accessory'.

If you read what has been posted, they have said the breakout box isnt warrantied.
He specifically asked and got a specific answer

Steven T. Thu, 10/3/2013 11:11:48 am
If we could get it in, we would need to RMA the entire card - as the card is the serialized product, and the warranty is tied directly to that serial number.

It's unfortunate to see that (low) level of service.

I'd definitely call them as previously suggested. A little professional persistence on a phone call can go a long ways.

You kidding me?

Here's our motherboard. Unfortunately the CPU socket isnt covered under warranty.......and 1 of the RAM slots isnt either.....but the rest of it is! ......well except for one SATA port. :rolleyes:

Im a big Asus fanboy but these stories are becoming WAY too familiar on the forums over the last year or two. I find myself looking at Gigabyte boards more often these days.

ASUS sucks at customer service. Their hardware is generally very well built, so most people don't end up needing service, but if you do, you are fucked. They suck at it royally.

Don't mean to bump, but thanks for posting this. After the fiasco with Derpintine's Radeon card catching fire and Asus's seeming lack of will to do anything to help him (they eventually relented after a long fight), I won't be purchasing Asus anymore. This situation just confirms my decision.

They won't allow me to send it in just for the control box being broken. They will not even work on the control box if I were to send the entire card in. They say it's an nonserialized accessory. Meaning the control box doesn't have a serial number on it because it is considered an accessory. Without the control box I lose many features of my sound card. Thus I don't have warranty on the product. It would be the same thing as if I bought a car and the muffler fell off as I pulled out the dealership. I pull back into the dealership for warranty work and they tell me that it isn't covered under warranty because the muffler doesn't have a Vin number on it.

I would just call back and tell them the card is broken because the control box keeps disconnecting. Then they will warranty it :)

That's messed up! I only own an Asus mobo and a tablet from them. Looks like I probably won't be buying anything else.

I would just call back and tell them the card is broken because the control box keeps disconnecting. Then they will warranty it :)

Sounds like a good plan. I'd almost distill the problem down to the absolute simplest terms for Asus' tech/customer support people and send the whole thing (card and box) back to them and let them work it out. Don't let them get fixated on the box or reveal that you've isolated the problem. It's very regrettable it comes down to that, but if it gets you the working product back that you were guaranteed by their warranty then I'd say go for it. Not sure if it's too late now, but . . .

If they cant warranty the breakout box, they arent likely to test it.
This means it will be returned to you, perhaps with a testing fee.

bbb

We have identified a pattern of complaints concerning service issues. Complaints processed by BBB claim that 1) products sent to the company for repairs are still not working properly when returned to the consumer.

On June 29, 2012 ASUS responded to the issue by stating: We continuously enhance our repair service levels across the board, but in specific response to the repair quality concerns addressed in this letter we have strengthened core processes which may have been at the root of the matter and ASUS valued customers, with non-component systems products will benefit from the enhanced RMA process and instructions.

BBB again reviewed this company's file for complaints. As of January 14, 2013 the issue of products sent to the company for repairs still not working properly when returned to the consumer still remains.

sad state of affairs indeed

It's hard to tell just by that conversation. A lot of support reps don't have English as their primary language, so "Is X part repairable under warranty?" "that part itself is not covered under warranty", after a discussion about only sending in that particular part for repair could result in a misunderstanding.

On numerous occasions I've had to rephrase questions due to the language barrier. I thought I asked a simple question, they thought they understood me, and their answer seemed to be straight forward, but it turns out we were both wrong and the answer was something else entirely :p

Check my post. I'll simplify it for you: I don't think you know you they won't test the card+breakout box.

How does It make any difference, they wont replace it.
Its not covered under the warranty.

One chat log with one customer service rep wouldn't be enough to fully convince me of that, and nor would I quit too quickly if it were my soundcard. I believe you would, though, Nenu. Of that I am convinced.

I had a ASUS 580 that had the most atrocious coil whine I have ever witnessed.
I can handle a little but this was loud... When I fired up a game if either of my cats was in the room it would leave and they would howl in the other room loudly rofl.

Long story short I call ASUS they said it qualified for RMA so I sent it in.
I call day of arrival and they said they received it but that's it, someone would email me or call me in 48 hours. 4 days went by I call them they say card is on the test bench we'll call or email you in 48 hours
4 days go by I call them they say they cannot reproduce the noise.
They say they are sending it back to me... I said NO I need to talk to someone about it..
They said they'd call me within 48 hours.... 4 days later my card is back at my door.

So now I am pissed I call them yet again.... There's no supervisor to speak to nothing but the run around....

I searched their website for phone numbers and emails and I spammed all of them with my issues everyday for about 10 days till someone actually called me. She was actually really nice and I ended up getting a reference 680 that did 1300mhz after about 3 months.... This same woman said we can't send you a replacement 580 because we don't have it in stock and she sends me a link to my exact same card as a replacement and so I say this is actually the same card... She actually argued with me that it was not... So I switched tactics and sweet talked her into a 680 as a replacement for all the bullshit.

As of now I own a ASUS sound card and monitor and that's it besides my nexus 7 2012 tablet.

One chat log with one customer service rep wouldn't be enough to fully convince me of that, and nor would I quit too quickly if it were my soundcard. I believe you would, though, Nenu. Of that I am convinced.

My view is simple, dont buy from Asus.
And ignore pedantic people on the forum that cant read :p

If you read the first post, the service rep confirmed that it wasnt warranted, it wasnt his opinion.

XXXXX Thu, 10/3/2013 11:12:06 am
kk

These "don't buy from X company" may make you feel empowered but, with rare exception, in this market there is no particular emphasis on customer satisfaction and so a preference for one company over another is going to be an anecdotal game of chance and/or hot potato.

I say again to the OP, pick up the phone and call them. We don't live in a Utopian world where the lowest-level rep with zero actual or implied authority on a web-chat post is an acceptable representation of company policy and flexibility with that policy.

This is the way warranty service is from most of these guys these days. The only company that still has a half decent warranty is EVGA, and even then that is only if you pay the fee within the first 30 days to get stuff like advanced RMA and what not.

I've got an Asus STX and an Asus P8Z68 but i'll never buy Asus again. Every Asus motherboard i've ever bought (Three to be exact) has developed issues. The only piece of Asus gear I have that hasn't developed issues is the STX. I love the STX, but it would suck royally if it died since Asus RMA blows. Given that EVGA doesn't make a soundcard Asus/Creative are your only choice though, and IMO both have shit for RMA service these days.

As for the Phoebus - Don't buy it. It's overpriced for what it is and the STX would have been a better option.

Most of [H] is becoming Anti Asus from what ive noticed. I was a huge Asus customer (spent ~10-20k a year on their products) and now have switched to different companies for my various products. After several RMA issues, their GPU's catching fire and not being covered under warrenty when they are just a few months old. Im taking my business else where. Ive been a customer for 10+ years and wasn't a easy decision to make. They've forced my hands though.

which Asus GPU caught on fire? Is there a link?

Back