Microsoft Opens Windows 8.1 Preorders

HardOCP News

[H] News
Step right up and get your Windows 8.1 preorders in!

The new Windows 8.1 lets you watch movies or play games with Xbox, Skype with friends, access files anywhere with SkyDrive, or find your next favorite app in the Windows Store. If you're already running Windows 8 you'll be automatically upgraded to Windows 8.1 for free on October 17. If you're running Windows 7, pre-order Windows 8.1 now.

You can order the Win 7 Upgrade of Windows 8 for $82 or the full OEM version for $100'ish.
I'd just get one of those and then let it patch itself on 10/17.

Since Asus *still* hasn't fixed their shit there's no way I can upgrade.

I really think they should just have a flat rate for the OS. Its weird that the price can vary so much from one source to the other.

Have a .edu email address..only $40
Have windows 7...upgrade for $82
Want the full oem version...$100(ish)
preorder it from Microsoft..$120

The price range is ridiculous.

ahm-keepin-my-money.jpg

I really think they should just have a flat rate for the OS. Its weird that the price can vary so much from one source to the other.

Have a .edu email address..only $40
Have windows 7...upgrade for $82
Want the full oem version...$100(ish)
preorder it from Microsoft..$120

The price range is ridiculous.

It is odd, but at least there aren't 3-4 SKU's with varying prices on top of it. The price ranges for the various versions and discounts for Windows 7 are even crazier.

Would someone please tell MS that pastel colors on their packaging does not inspire confidence of the product inside?

And yes I like Win 8 fine... but damn the boxes are just plain long hair hippie.

Does anyone know if MS will provide a ISO for the full Win 8.1 when it's released so we can just add our Win 8 CD key upon install?

I don't want to upgrade my existing Win 8 installation to 8.1. I'd rather install 8.1 from a disc rather than upgrading an existing installation.

Does anyone know if MS will provide a ISO for the full Win 8.1 when it's released so we can just add our Win 8 CD key upon install?

I don't want to upgrade my existing Win 8 installation to 8.1. I'd rather install 8.1 from a disc rather than upgrading an existing installation.

The ISOs for 8.1 are already available on TechNet... You can download them and then reinstall with your regular license key, though currently there are some activation glitches with various installs because 8.1 doesn't go live until Oct 18th...

The 8.1 upgrade is supposedly not going to come through Windows Update as a regular patch, but you will need to go to the Microsoft Store and "Add Features" similarly to if you were to add Windows Media Center to Windows 8.

Also, starting with 8.1 new retail editions are doing away with the Upgrade or Full Version distinction, so you won't need an existing Windows installation already in place...

So considering all the changes made to the core OS, the updated ISOs will likely be offered for general download after the 18th, but if not you should just be able to do the 8.1 upgrade and then burn a new restore ISO from within Windows.

The ISOs for 8.1 are already available on TechNet... You can download them and then reinstall with your regular license key, though currently there are some activation glitches with various installs because 8.1 doesn't go live until Oct 18th...

The 8.1 upgrade is supposedly not going to come through Windows Update as a regular patch, but you will need to go to the Microsoft Store and "Add Features" similarly to if you were to add Windows Media Center to Windows 8.

Also, starting with 8.1 new retail editions are doing away with the Upgrade or Full Version distinction, so you won't need an existing Windows installation already in place...

So considering all the changes made to the core OS, the updated ISOs will likely be offered for general download after the 18th, but if not you should just be able to do the 8.1 upgrade and then burn a new restore ISO from within Windows.

Thanks buddy!!

I guess I'm in the minority that actually likes Windows 8.1 (with a little tweaking of course).

Back