Intel's Internet TV Project Falling Apart?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Intel’s dream of a web-based pay TV service may be slipping away rapidly if the company doesn’t find a backer to help fund the massive project.

OnCue is supposed to work like a traditional pay TV that competitors like Comcast and Verizon provide, except that it’s delivered over the Web.

The necessity for TV over the internet is almost here, they need to get some decent media companies onboard to supply content and then it cant fail unless they introduce stupid restrictions and pricing.
With fibre becoming mainstream about the same time as 4K TVs, there will all of a sudden be huge demand for 4K content over the internet as there is little alternative to get 4K media.
Rather than pushing to get content out of the door now, they should be building a portfolio of companies ready for distributing and supplying 4K media.

Internet TV will never take off until there is a system in place to allow internet companies to charge based on bandwidth usage. If your ISP isn't the one selling you the bandwidth hogging service they want to make sure that they have a piece of the pie. If a service offering this ever took off I'm sure the ISPs would use traffic-shaping to ensure that everyone got a sub-par experience. Most long established businesses spend more time ensuring any potential competitors fail than they do trying too sell their own products & services.

I forgot that Intel are far to poor to invest in a product. Either that, or they have no confidence...

What is the point of this? It's cable TV, just over the Internet. Intel is going to charge for programming packages just like cable. You have to get a set top box from them, just like cable. Even their "cloud DVR" is basically TWC OnDemand. And they seem to be proud of the fact that they want to charge MORE than the average cable service. Because apparently offering a "slicker interface" is worth paying a premium. It isn't surprising that they can't find a partner and don't have the confidence to do it alone.

I forgot that Intel are far to poor to invest in a product. Either that, or they have no confidence...

With 6 billion budget in multiple fabs across the world, I'd like to point out that this isn't the case.

They seem to get involved into things that shouldn't really concern them. Larrabee was another failed project from intel. This TV product seems no different.

Can someone seriously explain to me why Intel thought this was a good market to pour their money into? I don't see the logic here. It's already a crowded market with Netflix, hulu, and youtube. I honestly don't know too many people who even watch cable anymore. I think Intel tv is a lost cause and I'm not surprised that it s failing.

Back