YouTube Tries To Fix Its Comments

HardOCP News

[H] News
Although this welcomed change is long overdue, we all know it will be circumvented by +he |\/|ill10n a|\|d 0ne \/\/aÝs to use numbers, symbols and alternate characters to spell blocked words.

There are new filters that will automatically show comments from approved users or entire Google+ circles and never show comments from blocked users. Content creators can make a blacklist of any offending words or phrases they don't want appearing in comments under their videos, and all comments that dare use said words will be held for review.

Ok, well thats one way to force people into using Google +. Brilliant on their part :(

The last thing we need is another authentication wedge in YouTube. As it stands now I can't keep up with all the GD authentication changes they keep making.

If you have multiple accounts, it's even worse.

I defy google to even bother fixing their comments section that can't be pissed on by an 11 year old and his atheist/mommy/daddy rage. Thank you.

I just wish Youtube would fix their bloody "reply" button. To me, making basic functionality of the site actually work is more important than policing some unpleasant comments.

In the last couple of months I found that some of my comments were not showing up as replies to others' comments even though I used the "reply" button.

I though I had fixed it when I de-linked my Youtube account from my Google+ account as I regained the ability to reply to some people that I had apparently lost. But the problem has started to crop up again occasionally.:mad:

I'd much prefer it if Youtube fixed all the broken shit on the front page. Have all my subscriptions set to only show uploads, and yet I still see every time they favorite or like a video, or make a playlist, or make some random comment, or subscribe to a channel. The check marks apparently mean fucking nothing. Stop showing me all this crap I don't care about.

I just wish they'd let you make YouTube accounts again that didn't require being a real name linked to a Google+ account with a real name.

You just can't do it anymore. They want everybody's YouTube accounts to be their first and last names and that's it.

I just wish they'd let you make YouTube accounts again that didn't require being a real name linked to a Google+ account with a real name.

You just can't do it anymore. They want everybody's YouTube accounts to be their first and last names and that's it.

So far I have been able to avoid it at this point. It keeps popping a box up asking me about my name and I just keep ignoring it. I guess at some point I wont be able to ignore it anymore but I'm holding out at long as I can.

I don't really understand what they are getting at with it. If I wanted my YouTube account to be my first and last name I would have made I it that when I created it. Why cant I just keep the same account name Ive had for like ever that isn't my name? It just seems stupid to me.

Although this welcomed change is long overdue
Can't tell if serious or not... most youtube videos are stupid, but the comments are often hilarious (yet politically incorrect).

The only thing I'd like to see removed are the true SPAM messages, not the hilarious one liners that are the most thumbed up by the community.

Are the people really demanding more censorship, like we don't have enough in our lives? And google is really annoying the hell out of me trying to force me to use my name. I picked an alias because I wanted one. If I wanted to use my name, I would have. Drop it.

And google is really annoying the hell out of me trying to force me to use my name. I picked an alias because I wanted one. If I wanted to use my name, I would have. Drop it.

Agreed. And i don't want person randomly googling my name, then seeing that I accidentally clicked some youtube video of (well you know...that thing with the thing), and assuming I'm some kind of freak. (not to mention the weird **** I purposely watch)

Can we get something done about the

"My friend laughed when I told her I made $1,000 a week working 10 hours a week from home. It's called Super Duper Work From Home Program, look for it on Google"

comments?

Good. If Aliens ever visit us , I really hope someone has the foresight to pull up the Youtube comments on a Justin Bieber music video.

I'll bet everything I own that they will turn their fucking ship around and declare us a waste of time.

Good. If Aliens ever visit us , I really hope someone has the foresight to pull up the Youtube comments on a Justin Bieber music video.

I'll bet everything I own that they will turn their fucking ship around and declare us a waste of time.

They'll need our water though. :) And a few thousand specimens.

Can we get something done about the

"My friend laughed when I told her I made $1,000 a week working 10 hours a week from home. It's called Super Duper Work From Home Program, look for it on Google"

comments?

OMFG if there was one thing of all the things that annoy the bejesus out of me... its those FKNG spam msgs'! FFS surely it can't be worth their time to post so much spam!! Sure i can see the attraction... youtube really does bring in a lot of brain dead fools. But even the majority of them would have enough sense to never be remotely conned by such BS spam! First it was "penis enlargement" emails back in the day and now the new wave of CLOUD spamming (emphasized for my fellow tech savvy friends to chuckle at)... "i made $xxxxx a day"!

Intel aren't doing much lately with their Desktop CPU department engineers etc... surely we can get some of those smart guys to figure out a way to free us of this ridiculousness! :p

this is not a welcomed change. while trolling is common so is censoring free speech. I can see all kinds of people blocking "offensive speech" that is really only limiting.it.

this is not a welcomed change. while trolling is common so is censoring free speech. I can see all kinds of people blocking "offensive speech" that is really only limiting.it.

Thing is, free speech doesn't apply to private websites. It only applies to government censorship.

Google has been subtle in some areas about forcing you in the Google+ and totally obvious in others. They need to do whatever they can to build the G+ userbase. I only created a Google+ account for one of my businesses to connect with people who flat out refuse to use Facebook. G+'s interface is absolutely horrid and like most other Google products looks like it was designed by a 5 yearold.

Odd thread bump - but the best choice is just to not read any youtube comments on any video at all. If you want to have an actual discussion about something, get friends or find the appropriate forum.

This is such a bullshit move. I can't express how annoyed I am at Google trying to force me to use Google+ and moreover use my personal name.

I like being anonymous on the internet.
I like having more than one youtube channel, because people subscribing for motorcycle vids don't want to see my cats and don't want to see electronics product reviews or World of Tanks videos.

Youtube has been going to shit ever since Google got its hands on it, with banners all over the place and youtube channels getting crappier and crappier with every forced update.

Screw these guys and the horse they rode in on. :mad:

And BTW, up until now I was just constantly harassed by Google when using Youtube over and over and over and over and over again telling them I do NOT WANT TO USE MY REAL NAME and I do not want to integrate with Google+.

Now, I couldn't make comments anymore until I agreed to this BS, and now all the communication is going through Google+ which is a shit service I do not want to use. This is why it sucks when companies get too big, they buy all the products you enjoy and then force you to use shit you don't, force smaller competitors out of business, and sell all your information to everyone and their mother.

Just watch, Google's stock price will jump $100 over such stupidity.

I'm just amazed that people still talk about stock prices like they have any validity. The Dow Jones has been setting record highs during the worst economic decline since the Great Depression.

Meanwhile I still have to allow 5-7 hours for a 15 minute 1080p video to load between the hours of 8AM and 1AM but that is OK because I can go to any other website on the internet and max my connection out 24 hours a day

Keep working on cleaning up the comments though

Odd thread bump - but the best choice is just to not read any youtube comments on any video at all. If you want to have an actual discussion about something, get friends or find the appropriate forum.
You can't have a discussion with character limits like that and comments disappearing off the page so quickly.

What youtube is great for is hilarious one-liners and puns for the most part. Often a video is retarded, but the top comments have me in tears. Same with break.com, stupid vids with a hilariously politically incorrect userbase.

Can't understand why people would applaud more censorship, commercialization, and forced adoption of a failed service no one wants.

Meanwhile I still have to allow 5-7 hours for a 15 minute 1080p video to load between the hours of 8AM and 1AM
Whats worse is that Google has apparantely implemented some kind of buffering limit, so if you hit play on a 1080p video and come back to it 30 mins later, you may still have the damn video interupted as it won't load the full thing and I think only does up to 30 seconds. *bangs head on table*

So far I have been able to avoid it at this point. It keeps popping a box up asking me about my name and I just keep ignoring it. I guess at some point I wont be able to ignore it anymore but I'm holding out at long as I can.

I don't really understand what they are getting at with it. If I wanted my YouTube account to be my first and last name I would have made I it that when I created it. Why cant I just keep the same account name Ive had for like ever that isn't my name? It just seems stupid to me.
With your name they can begin to tag you because you can't change it easily. It will lend itself to when social media is bent into a public shame machine. Get too outspoken and next thing you know you have people walking up and spitting on you and hovering around your kids.

Although this welcomed change is long overdue, we all know it will be circumvented by +he |\/|ill10n a|\|d 0ne \/\/aÝs to use numbers, symbols and alternate characters to spell blocked words.

I'm unsure why they can't use a point score system to detect filter evasion.

IE. Someone saying a four letter word that starts with "S". To evade the filter they start it with "$"... so $hi+. Dollar signs flanked by no numbers = 2 "evasion points", etc. After reaching a certain number of "evasion points" a post won't be accepted.

Vimeo's great, but only allows for original, self-produced content.
Must be nice for Google to be in the inner circle an allowed to get away with rampant copyright infringement. I know they do clamp down sometimes but in general people get away with a lot on youtube. You'd almost think the MPAA has youtube blocked. And it doesn't happen for free.

I actually hate Google now. Has anyone seen the new YouTube design? Why the fuck is there a massive amount of white space on the left and right sides?

Whats worse is that Google has apparantely implemented some kind of buffering limit, so if you hit play on a 1080p video and come back to it 30 mins later, you may still have the damn video interupted as it won't load the full thing and I think only does up to 30 seconds. *bangs head on table*

There are addons that let videos buffer fully like Youtube Center which I use but I still run into issues when I'm watching a video and want to skip something, I skip ahead and the entire video has to load again

It's nearly midnight here, got a Youtube video queued up loading at 330kb/sec, this video is 748MB in size...that is 5.2 hours before it is fully loaded but that is fine, I can go to Vimeo right now and load a video instantly, I can download a copy of Linux from Usenet at max speed, I can go anywhere that isn't Youtube and download stuff just fine.

My ISP always blames Level3 and some peering issue, they did the same thing with Twitch and Twitch blamed them

I love it. The new comment system is far superior. I can already see A LOT less trolling. This should have rolled out with Google + frankly.

Looking at Youtube comments now doesn't make me want to punch reality in the baby maker.

Just noticed how Google has now made it virtually impossible for the average joe to find the inbox. :rolleyes:

Usually its not a big deal, a service sucks ass, you just leave and go to a competitor. Problem is, if you're in a community or trying to reach a community, you have to go where they live and can't force everyone to jump ship to the new fertile ground.

I'm really surprised that a lot of people actually appreciate the forced Google+, nags to use your real name, and forced politeness, shame culture, and loss of privacy that Google is trying to push here.

Back