Gold iPhone 5S Sells For $10K On eBay

HardOCP News

[H] News
What is that old expression? Something about a sucker being born every minute? I think that definitely applies here. The fact that you can buy an iPhone with real 24k gold for half that price makes this even funnier.

You can buy a lot of things with $10,100 -- unless we're talking hard-to-find iPhones on eBay. That's how much one eBay buyer paid for a 16GB unlocked iPhone 5S in gold, a device that's currently back-ordered into next month.

lol, I hope he took a loan out to pay for it.
He could have bought a standard colour version and had a very decent gold plating put on for less hehe.

i-Products are hardly the only ones where people who are unwilling to wait can get quite stupid with over paying just so they can say they were one of the first (out of a million or so people) to have it. Just wait when the PS4 and XB1 get released... lot of desperate nerds and parents too stupid to say no to their kids near the Christmas shopping season.

Just another case of people with more money than intelligence.

i-Products are hardly the only ones where people who are unwilling to wait can get quite stupid with over paying just so they can say they were one of the first (out of a million or so people) to have it. Just wait when the PS4 and XB1 get released... lot of desperate nerds and parents too stupid to say no to their kids near the Christmas shopping season.
But the difference is for consoles, it is the young so foolishly hypnotized, with i-Products, it is primarily an adult demographic.
Not a favorable comparison for Apple users

I sold Launch Day PS3's for $3k a pop, same for launch 360's. Will likely do the same with launch day PS4's and The XB1. Honestly, this doesn't surprise me. The ones who stood in line for days to flip something like this quite honestly are the smart ones. They just turned a few days of their time into about $9500 profit. If I hadn't of been extremely busy i would of done the same thing. Taking advantage of people who are willing to throw retarded amounts of money down just to be the "First" has never bothered me in the least.

I doubt he gets the money. Just because the auction price was at 10k/someone won the auction for 10k doesn't mean for one second they're going to get that money.

Just a matter of time until this person drops the phone while taking a shit, shattering their glass screen or dunking it in water. Or puts it in a fugly Otterbox case.

Taking advantage of people who are willing to throw retarded amounts of money down just to be the "First" has never bothered me in the least.
I don't imagine so, but keep in mind that you're also making it all the more difficult for people who are just really excited about getting and enjoying these products (in a normal, healthy sort of way) to get what they're after.

People who have unhealthy obsessions probably deserve to be taken advantage of, but you're also leaving an entirely different set of people hanging in your wake.

Was the eBay account name "kkardashian"?

Nope, it was "gmember".

Austin-Powers-Goldmember-austin-powers-8220808-852-480.jpg

Damn. When my girlfriend gets her gold iPhone from T-Mobile, you know damn well i'm gonna post this shit up for sale.

I like it when stuff like this happens, because people that stupid don't deserve to keep the money to begin with.

I sold Launch Day PS3's for $3k a pop, same for launch 360's. Will likely do the same with launch day PS4's and The XB1. Honestly, this doesn't surprise me. The ones who stood in line for days to flip something like this quite honestly are the smart ones. They just turned a few days of their time into about $9500 profit. If I hadn't of been extremely busy i would of done the same thing. Taking advantage of people who are willing to throw retarded amounts of money down just to be the "First" has never bothered me in the least.

No, you didn't. They never touched that amount. Thanks for trying to look cool though.

You would think someone flipping ps3's and xb360's for 3k$ and one who turns a few days of time into $9500 profit could afford a better PC according to your budgeted PC questions here on the forums. :eek:

A small example of why I want to spit when someone says rich people are smart or work hard. I figured out a log time ago that the primary characteristic of rich people is sociopathic behavior.

I refuse to think that the respective seller will get paid. Otherwise it's just too much, for me at least

A small example of why I want to spit when someone says rich people are smart or work hard. I figured out a log time ago that the primary characteristic of rich people is sociopathic behavior.

Oh because y'know poor, ghetto people's primary characteristic isn't sociopathic behavior. Let's disregard all socioeconomic crimes associated with the poor class, no way are they fueled by anything like sociopathic behavior.

Has nothing to do with being poor or rich, just dumb.

I don't imagine so, but keep in mind that you're also making it all the more difficult for people who are just really excited about getting and enjoying these products (in a normal, healthy sort of way) to get what they're after.

People who have unhealthy obsessions probably deserve to be taken advantage of, but you're also leaving an entirely different set of people hanging in your wake.

Its all about supply and demand any way you cut it. If you as the "damnit I couldn't find console-X" crowd could hold onto your credit cards for little while long that secondary market of inflated prices would die very quickly. The bonus is that it is a win-win, because if you are in fact strong willed enough to wait, you still wait and you'll buy a new one from a retail outlet for the regular price anyway you slice it. There still will be a shortage of units as those who are willing to pay through the nose would buy the machines anyways and you'll still be left high and dry. Bottom line those who jack up the prices on goods do not want to sit on them and wait things out as they will eventually lose value down to the point of retail cost.

Wonder how long before the winner tries out the "Water safe" feature in iOS 7 on that huh?

The really sad fucking part of it is I walked into a Walmart a week or two after the PS3 had launched and bought a 60GB right off the shelf, so to speak. The fact that these people have money like that to burn kind of makes me sick that they're too screwed in the head to wait even a little while.

Is it possible that buyer and seller are same person. He or she just wants fame.

God I wish I had something stupid laying around the house to sell to an Apple user. Hell I probably do. I think I'll contact the winning bidder and sell him some uglyass rubber case that completely covers ("protects!") his phone for the low, low price of $4 grand.

Oh because y'know poor, ghetto people's primary characteristic isn't sociopathic behavior. Let's disregard all socioeconomic crimes associated with the poor class, no way are they fueled by anything like sociopathic behavior.

Has nothing to do with being poor or rich, just dumb.

None of their crimes affect me, so I don't care. Can't say that for the rich.

The really sad fucking part of it is I walked into a Walmart a week or two after the PS3 had launched and bought a 60GB right off the shelf, so to speak. The fact that these people have money like that to burn kind of makes me sick that they're too screwed in the head to wait even a little while.

What you don't realize is if you have a PS3 for those two weeks, unlimited hot blondes will fall out of the sky and blow you. Well, maybe only if you have the kind of reptilian brain people who go nuts to buy shit day one have.

No, you didn't. They never touched that amount. Thanks for trying to look cool though.

Actually they did, more specifically the guaranteed pre-orders did.

You would think someone flipping ps3's and xb360's for 3k$ and one who turns a few days of time into $9500 profit could afford a better PC according to your budgeted PC questions here on the forums. :eek:

The PS3/360 stuff was over 8 years ago, lots of things can happen in 8+ years. Also I didn't say anything about me on the iPhone, I did not flip any of those as my present job isn't one I can simply take a few days off on a whim. Thanks for playing the who's going to be a douche game.

Back