SOE: Twitter Abusers Can Be Banned from Games

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony Online Entertainment says that, not only will you be banned from its games for abusive behavior, you will be banned for Twitter comments too. :eek:

"Not only will we ban your forum account, but if it's serious enough we'll call up customer service and have you banned from all of our games. We do not need those individuals as customers," Carlson says of the most offensive and anti-social players. "A very influential player, high up in a huge guild - we'll still ban them... In our games, if you are an exploiter we don't care who you are, how big your guild is, how many people you threaten to take with you when you go.

"We can control anybody who's playing our games...[but] if we know who you are and you're abusing somebody on Twitter, we will ban your game account and we will not accept you as a customer ever again. It's not always possible to identify people [in that way], but we take that seriously."

I suspect SOE proper will come back with an apology due to this being an unfounded "individual" statement made by an angry employee.

Don't think it would even be legal for them to do that.

What would make it illegal (what law would they have broken) ... if they were charging you a monthly fee they could refund your last month or the original game purchase price but I don't think there is any legal requirement for them to do even that ... games ban people all the time for a whole slew of reasons ... although this seems extreme it doesn't appear to be illegal :confused:

ummm...planetside 2

but that said, wonder what would happen if everyone united and just stopped playing or buying SOE games :D

I wonder where they draw the line and if you could challenge it. I know Microsoft will ban people for things, including threats and things like that. I think it's a good idea, as long as it's extreme behavior, not just kids talking shit to others, as that can be part of the game - people get pretty riled up at times.

SOE proudly announces it doesn't want my money.

Consequences for douchebaggery? Awesome. I'm all for it. Some players are complete poison to the community, and the best way to deal with the worst is to simply fire the customer.

Want to pee in the community pool? The door is that-a-way.

Consequences for douchebaggery? Awesome. I'm all for it. Some players are complete poison to the community, and the best way to deal with the worst is to simply fire the customer.

That's why I play on very few BF3 servers, [H]Gaming being one of them. There are way too many people just causing problems that goes beyond just talking shit. They go on there just to be a dick. No thanks. I'll move on.

It's a pleasure to play on good servers. I'd gladly pay for that privilege.

I just don't want them to start banning on every expletive muttered or 'Fuck your mother!'. People talk shit, that's fine. When they start going beyond that and just going fucking insane, then there is a problem. Bye bye. I'd expect a mod to do the same on private servers (and they do).

This goes beyond the typical 'ignore it or be a man' type of stuff. If it interferes with game play, then it's a problem.

For those against it - why? You see the limit as being too low? Are you one that is abusive and screams the whole match? Just too much interference? Penalty too severe? Just curious. I can see why it could be a bad thing, but I see a lot of good if it is implemented well (which is going to be pretty difficult, I'm sure).

"We can control anybody who's playing our games"

This guy sounds like a right dick.

And I don't like the idea of Sony going though players twitter and social media accounts. What you do out side of games is none of their business.

And I don't like the idea of Sony going though players twitter and social media accounts. What you do out side of games is none of their business.

Yea, I do agree on that one. Too much overreach on their part. No way that'd be allowed by SOE higher ups. In game? Sure.

You can get banned from most online games for making inappropriate comments on the forum for the game itself. Making inappropriate comments about the game to another player on Twitter is more or less the same thing. As long as it's in their ToS I don't think it's unfair to punish people for what they do on Twitter. But the ToS is a whole different story, I want a game company to get taken to court and try to enforce it's ToS so that they all get turned into nonbinding legal agreements. The same ToS that makes it impossible to sell your games, file class action lawsuits, or be banned individually for what you do in individual games.

You can get banned from most online games for making inappropriate comments on the forum for the game itself. Making inappropriate comments about the game to another player on Twitter is more or less the same thing. As long as it's in their ToS I don't think it's unfair to punish people for what they do on Twitter. But the ToS is a whole different story, I want a game company to get taken to court and try to enforce it's ToS so that they all get turned into nonbinding legal agreements. The same ToS that makes it impossible to sell your games, file class action lawsuits, or be banned individually for what you do in individual games.

I can't wait until someone makes a "Let's Play" video that is a negative review, and they get their account banned for disparaging remarks against the developer. I bet it happens within the next 5 years.

I can't wait until someone makes a "Let's Play" video that is a negative review, and they get their account banned for disparaging remarks against the developer. I bet it happens within the next 5 years.

Why not? It happens already with a lot of reviewers. They get review samples, and if the review isn't as great as they wanted, the reviewer doesn't get a sample anymore. Forget NDA's, you won't need them because you don't get the invite.

I'll take a company that can take a bad review, respond to it, and improve their product over that any day of the week.

I don't want to be banned from a game just because I took a shit in my friends bathtub when he was on vacation.

"We can control anybody who's playing our games"

This guy sounds like a right dick.

If you post something on Twitter for the whole world to see then it becomes everyone business.

I certainly do not agree completely with SOE stance on this, but if you don't want people in your business don't post publicly on the internet.

I'm all for it and hope SOE does backup what she said.

Act like a douchbag and SOE will respond in kind.

Love it.

I'm all for it and hope SOE does backup what she said.

Act like a douchbag and SOE will respond in kind.

Love it.

You said "douchbag" who knows how strict this would be.

By saying "douchbag" on this forum sony could ban your from all your games.

Sound fun?

Ever said fuck or shit on twitter? Have fun having all your games taken away.

Sound fun?

See, that's where I'm seeing that this could go too far. It could be fine and stop some major assholes from screwing up the experience for others. But, for talking trash on Twitter for some unrelated thing is too far.

As far as games - as long as they banned you from the online gaming portion, but allowed you access to the games, it'd be ok. But, denying you access to the content as well as the online gaming part - too far. Get rid of the dicks being dicks on servers, but don't take shit away from them. Just don't allow them to play with others, as they can't do that very well.

Sound fun?

Not worried. I'm not the kind of person who lives in the black and white world. I don't immediately assume something is the best thing ever or jumps to the conclusion that the sky is falling. This is a good move and I hope the rest of gaming industry follows suit

Not worried. I'm not the kind of person who lives in the black and white world. I don't immediately assume something is the best thing ever or jumps to the conclusion that the sky is falling. This is a good move and I hope the rest of gaming industry follows suit

So if you ever complain about a SOE game publicly, you can get banned from all of their games. Have fun.

Doesn't GW2 still ban people for swearing?

If you write a censored word on the forums it gets turned into kitten. In-game chat has a profanity filter that replaces profanities with ***** IIRC, it's a drop-down box with three settings, high, low, and none. XacTactX.6709 on Dragonbrand add me. :)

sure glad Im not on twitter nor have any of their games... cant support any company with such an attitude

glad I don't own any sony games

Heavy dose of RTFA here. They're doing what all successful online games (WoW, LoL, Dota2) are doing... Banning the 0.5% of users that instigate the majority of malicious behavior. These games are for fun and engaging in their community, not raging at and harassing each other.

Also, show me the part where she says anything about banning players for slighting the game. They're banning players who track down other players on social media to harass them outside the game.

Err, what's twitter? Even constructive criticism these days is considered hate speech by companies and politicians so imo people should not accept ANYONE attempting to sensor free speech. If your game suck ass, and most people agree, then it probably sucks ass. Censoring someone for an opinion on you game or games you sell to the PUBLIC doesn't give you the right to ban paying users if they don't like it and use a third party to vent their frustrations. Obviously any physical threats or bullying needs to be dealt with separately.

Back