NATO Developing EMP Beam to Stop Suicide Bombers

Neat technology to focus the EM pulse to kill all electronics. However prepare for things to go back old school with physical alarm clocks that work with cogs and springs and not pieces of silicon.

I also see law enforcement wanting to get their hands on this to stop cars in high speed chases. Although I wonder if they can forward mount it, the part in the back of the SUV made me think there was some sort of shielding so that it wouldn't turn off the car holding the EMP device.

There are also nefarious uses to this too, and I don't mean by "bad guys". Imagine a protest, or police/military "incursion" against the public... *push a button* no more youtube videos showing how the police beat some protestor to death

I don't get the tie-in with the Oslo bombing ... he parked the vehicle and walked off. Clearly no-one had any idea, so this device wouldn't have been used. The real atrocity was what he did next.

Classic cars and bombs now. Old fashioned ignition systems (like those found in vehicles in terrorist countries) don't have electronics. Even if an automobile was equipped with an ECM/ECU, there is no denying that it could be removed and replaced with an old fashioned ignition system.

This might stop idiot terrorists, but it won't stop the smart ones, and the smart ones are the dangerous ones.

The only way to stop a terrorist is to remove his or her reason for being a terrorist, and that's not a technological issue, that's a psychological issue.

or just, you know.... put your bomb electronics in an anti-static bag like you get with your motherboard

faraday cage created, problem solved...

or just, you know.... put your bomb electronics in an anti-static bag like you get with your motherboard

faraday cage created, problem solved...

although if i think about this it should prevent any bombers from using any wireless devices to trigger their bombs...

Ya lol pretty sure suicide bombers that people actually have time to target are nearly unheard of. Oh and now you need to have this device near by.

The only principle use I can imagine is checkpoint defense.

For this, it might be awesome.

The only choices now if an unapproved vehicle or whatever approaches a secure location... whatever that location is... is to use lethal force first and see if it was really necessary later.

If you can identify a vehicle or person approaching a secure area you can EMP it first, then approach and find out if they are terrorists or just idiots.

The downside is, once you put this system in place and use it regularly, no one is going to use that method of attack anymore.

Now being able to disable a car that comes up near yours? THAT has some SERIOUS uses for VIP protection.

The only way to stop a terrorist is to remove his or her reason for being a terrorist, and that's not a technological issue, that's a psychological issue.

There is another way that's also works, but we are to "civilized" to use it.

It’s commonly used by mid-east dictators. The solution is to make the cost of terrorism to high.
If someone commits a terrorist act, you not only make sure the terrorist dies a quick painful death, you also do the same to the rest of their family or even their entire village.
The terrorism will stop, or you eventually run out of terrorists. Either way, problem solved.

Strap some rockets to the car.
If there's a rocket strapped to a car that would probably give security the time they need to use conventional means.

The twist to the car attack that is employed is that they load up the car with a mother and some children and rush and let security take out the car and then rage about the needless death of a mother and children. That's why this non-conventional harmless method is being researched to stop a car instead of some kind of auto-turret.

i want one of these in my car. no speeding ticket for me sucker. i predict your cruiser may have technical issues.

i want one of these in my car. no speeding ticket for me sucker. i predict your cruiser may have technical issues.

Except that both cars would stall. Unless you think your car can roll away faster then the cops.

Except that both cars would stall. Unless you think your car can roll away faster then the cops.

Except that only one car would stall, they showed them using one from one car on another in the video. I'm guessing something about making a "beam" out of it focuses all the EMP goodness in one direction.

I can't believe no one made the reference to Jonny Quest.
Does anyone remember the episode from the original series, the one with the robot eye-spider.

The device Dr. Quest was working on to disable aircraft was pretty much what is in this article:
parapowerray.jpg

*sigh*
Still waiting for our jetpacks though:
tumblr_ma5ibd6zae1r24vdi.jpg

Well, they could put a "laser" on the moon, and call it the "Alan Parsons Project", or just go ahead and build the Death Star (there was that White House petition for this).

Back