PrioVR: A Full-Body Mo-Cap Suit for Gaming

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you really like to really get into your gaming, really get into gaming, a new Kickstarter project should grab your attention. The project is called PrioVR, a full-body sensor array which transfers your body motion directly into the game play.

Nope.

Given the amount of running most games make you do, I don't see this being popular with anyone except marathon runners. It all sounds cool as hell, until you actually do it for longer than 10 minutes.

Give me break dude!!! If your reason for thinking this is not amazing is because it would make you tired, then you might have some issues you need to focus on other than gaming.

I don't see the market for this. The oculus riftI see a market for. But this? nope. It's too jittery for any use in hollywood. It's pointless for gaming.

Sure it's amazing but if there's no catch or real point, then it's a useless tech demo.

Give me break dude!!! If your reason for thinking this is not amazing is because it would make you tired, then you might have some issues you need to focus on other than gaming.

Nice attempt at an insult, however I am fairly fit and sorry but at the end of a 10-12 hour work day, the last thing I feel like doing is running, jumping and waving my arms all over the place for a couple hours. A couple hours of gaming is my evening entertainment, if I want a workout I go to the gym first thing in the morning.

What's wrong with Kinect?
Latency. It's essentially unusable for VR.

I think it's interesting that there's a real market that exists for products like this, but even I'll admit that this is starting to get silly. This kind of thing will find its niche in the inevitable VR arcades, but for home use...you're really talking niche stuff here.

I remember linking this on the video card forums a year ago..

The main problem with this is that you inevitably run out of "space" to move around. Once you require a remote or controller to actually move distances, it might as well be a wii or kinect. The only way something like this could work is some sort of omni-directional tread mill space that reacts to the user with instantaneous precision. Lest the user be fumbling about with the herky jerky motions; the last thing needed with some of the inherent motion sickness that tends to come with "VR".

I'm all for this sort of thing since it turns button mashing into an immersive workout (something most fat ass couch potatoes could use). I doubt you'd actually have to run all out or anything. I'd like to see how they work out running long distances and such, which is probably the biggest issue besides latency. Though I'm sure it could be accomplished with an action that toggles a constant motion in a particular direction while running in place and an action to stop.

Wonder if it could be used for a low budget mocap for indie game developers. Be pretty sweet for that.

Super precise exercise monitoring and dance. Some use for more serious remote training and physical therapy. Maybe fighting games.

That would definitely work, but a bit of sticker sh:eek:ck! @ $499 per player, and that's just for walking/running. And that would be in addition to the cost of the PrioVR.
Granted, but sim enthusiasts have paid more for HOTAS systems and wheel/pedal systems. $500 for a thing, $XXX for some other thing and another $300 thing to round out the other things isn't entirely unheard of in PC gaming. The breadth of what you can do in terms of dollars has always been pretty large on the PC side.

Great, if your not planning on running around, acting like actually in a shooter, might have to invest in a very complex treadmill system that moves int he direction you are trying to go, as well as sensing your speed.

It would be awesome if you could be suspended in a gyroscope-like object with arms reaching out to major and possibly some minor joints to be able to "apply some force" to you if you encounter it in-game. Ex. you put your hand on a wall in-game, and the physical device you are suspended in stops your real hand from going through the virtual wall if you try to push through it (maybe not completely stop but makes a very noticeable physical "stop" to try trick your body into thinking that what you see in the VR headgear is real).

while kinect 1 had latency issues, do we know anything about kinect 2 latency?

Back