Steam Hardware & Software Survey: August 2013

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steam Hardware & Software Survey numbers for August 2013 are now out. Not a lot of change this month with the exception of maybe the OS department. Windows 8 usage slightly up while almost all other operating systems are down. Here's an overview of the chart for those of you that can't access Steam from work/school.

PC Processor usage by manufacturer -> CLICK FOR MORE INFO -> PROCESSOR VENDOR (PC) -> "AllYourBaseAreBelongToCPU"

Ha, someone must be really proud of themselves right now.

Never thought about it before, but I'm surprised that not a single VIA system is in there. Makes me want to dig out an old Cyrix CPU and see if I can get Steam running on it.

Heh - commence the "OMG my system is only 2X betterer than steam average" I better buy some parts and do an upgrade! :)

Only on a PC enthusiast site would people enjoy this type of information lol

They need to rename it to the "Steam E-Peen Survey".

Hey ... it isn't about the length of your monitor or the size of your hard drive ... it's about how many times you can rise in competitive multiplayer games :D

Looks like we'll have Skylake-E before the more than 4 core line budges any.

Windows 8 continues its fast adoption rate on Steam:

Windows 8 64-bit 14.01%
Windows 8 0.80%

Linux continues its fall, dipping below 1%. A Linux powered SteamBox sounds like a great idea. lol

Any details on how the study operates? I've only had it come up once in several years. And it came up on my shitty work pc but not on my home pc, same account.

Any details on how the study operates? I've only had it come up once in several years. And it came up on my shitty work pc but not on my home pc, same account.
It should be taken as an unscientific, for entertainment purposes only survey. Methodology is not disclosed, but over time the trends it shows are somewhat interesting. Valve has more interest in keeping it honest so it knows how many target systems a particular game can support, but it is voluntary and can be skewed by several factors.

A FAQ here summarizes what people have been able to figure out about the survey: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1938012

(If the survey came up on your work computer, you may not see it for another year on the same account.)

It should be taken as an unscientific, for entertainment purposes only survey. Methodology is not disclosed, but over time the trends it shows are somewhat interesting. Valve has more interest in keeping it honest so it knows how many target systems a particular game can support, but it is voluntary and can be skewed by several factors.

A FAQ here summarizes what people have been able to figure out about the survey: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1938012

(If the survey came up on your work computer, you may not see it for another year on the same account.)

Thanks!

More interesting to me is the Triple monitor res of 3840x1080...I didn't know they made 1280x1080 screens. Even more baffling is why in gods name would you want 3?

It uses the computer with the most play time. If someone is dual-booting Windows and GNU/Linux and they spend more time playing games on Windows, it will count the Windows install but not the GNU/Linux install.

From a statistics standpoint, even a first-year student would not rely on such a survey.

More interesting to me is the Triple monitor res of 3840x1080...I didn't know they made 1280x1080 screens. Even more baffling is why in gods name would you want 3?

Because you bought all three on the cheap from the back of a truck in an alley you heard about from an ad on craiglist :)

Windows 8 64-bit 14.01%
Windows 8 0.80%

Linux continues its fall, dipping below 1%. A Linux powered SteamBox sounds like a great idea. lol

The real news here is that some people are actually running 32 bit variants of Windows 8.

Windows 8 64-bit 14.01%
Windows 8 0.80%

It's sad too, because Linux Steam games run *very* nicely. In many cases, much faster then their Windows versions.

Back