Chrome Turns 5 Today

HardOCP News

[H] News
Chrome is five years old today? Holy cow, where does the time go?

Google's browser celebrates its 5th Chrome-iversary, now a driving force behind cutting edge Web innovation that commands around 17 percent of the global market, and Chrome's not done with you yet. Comparing Web browsers from five years ago to those of today, 2008 to 2013, it's obvious that Chrome has radically altered the Web.

Opera used to be a good browser until it decides to become Chrome little.

And yet in 5 years they still cannot handle properly rss feed. The only reason I'm staying with firefox (that and the lack of options and settings).

And yet in 5 years they still cannot handle properly rss feed. The only reason I'm staying with firefox (that and the lack of options and settings).

Handling RSS differently does not mean they are doing it wrong. With FireFox you cannot keep track of what you have read.

Handling RSS differently does not mean they are doing it wrong. With FireFox you cannot keep track of what you have read.

I daily check between 10-30 rss feed and easily remember what I've read. I'm not using it for forums but news sites (like here). For forum threads I could understand read vs unread could be usefull, but not to me.

I tend to agree with MrPatate. Firefox still have more options for web browsing. Also I hate Chrome for the reason they try and force it on the consumer. Almost every free program wants to install chrome. On cnn all you see is chrome ad's. Yet with all that they still have not fix the massive memory leaks in chrome. The massive have to run many instantances of itself to render one page. The fact by default on PC's it allows third party apps to run in the background even when chrome is closed. In advanced content settings by default it allows apps to look and see what files and folders are on your PC.

Maybe if they would stop trying to promote it so much they would fix the issues with it. My favorite is you cannot clean the cache when you close it. And can someone tell me what chrome needs 3 googleupdate.exe files to run updates.

I stuck with Firefox for a LONG LONG time but about 6 months ago just got fed up with all the flash related lockups, slowdowns, crashes etc. Tried Chrome and once I got past the oddity of it never looked back. So much faster and more reliable than IE or Firefox.

Chrome is a good browser. I worry about privacy though - I think/hope Firefox is better for this. Gonna ditch the gmail as well and set up my own email server not that it matters since you're sending all your emails to people on gmail... I'm old - I liked the internet back before AOL came along and my grandma got online :)

Oly legit reason I use Chrome is for my Chromecast tab casting, other then that FF all day baby....I think Google know they lost the browser war so they stop'd trying on Chrome.

Oly legit reason I use Chrome is for my Chromecast tab casting, other then that FF all day baby....I think Google know they lost the browser war so they decided to trick people into installing it with other 3rd party software and constantly nagging their homepage visitors.

FTFY

FWIW, percentage of browser usage here on our forums.

1. Chrome 47.25%
2. Firefox 25.39%
3. Internet Explorer 12.09%
4. Safari 8.83%
5. Android Browser 2.98%
6. Opera 1.85%
7. Opera Mini 0.42%
8. Safari (in-app) 0.28%
9. Mozilla 0.21%
10. BlackBerry 0.12%

Back