Intel SSD Overclocking Demonstration

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Legit Reviews was on hand for the Intel SSD overclocking demonstration at PAX this weekend. Here's what they had to say about the event:

From what we gather Intel is thinking about creating a ‘K’ series SKU for Intel Solid-State Drives. As you know the Intel K series processors are the mainstream processors that have unlocked multipliers and can be overclocked quite easily, and now it looks like we might see a K-series SKU for the SSD line up! This means that Intel would have to unlock the ‘dials’ on the SSD to give users the ability to adjust clock speeds on the controller frequency as well as the NAND Flash memory bus frequency.

I just don't see the point. SSD's are already fast enough that you can't really tell them apart. You're also risking data corruption to a much greater degree when you're overclocking the storage device directly.

Me thinks they're just trying to direct the focus away from the poor OC performance of recent CPUs.

I agree, I'm not screwing around with my OS drive, if I want more speed I can use RAID

Anything that could cause permanent data loss or corruption is not something I'd fiddle with.

While it can and probably will actually provide slightly better performance, I would have to put this entire concept firmly in the "Gimmick" column for Intel this time. :rolleyes:

Hey Intel, why don't you work on innovation on your CPU side of the house - not this BS.

From an enthusiast pov, this is cool. sorta like spl competitons wit car woofers - that barely play normal music well - i wanna see ssd tx rate competitons :).

Except for this little thing called a 6g SATA bus. Small problem.

I'd more be interested in OCing the intel controller

This should be something they use internally if its reliable.
Speeds can be scaled up as demand for b/w increases.

If its not reliable, it shouldnt be used for any purpose.
As pointed out, you dont want to mess up your storage.

Consumer overclocking of an SSD is stupidity.

If they do allow it to the consumer. They'll definitely have some firmware that gets changed to signify the customer want to overclock and void warranty.

You know people out there will do it for bragging rights. And end up frying units. Fried units = profit.

Only so many things you can sell to people these days. I mean how many SSD's does the average person need. So they are aiming for the (stupid) enthusiast market to make up the difference. The smart ones will likely avoid such a thing.

Haswell is great for the intended market...mobile devices. That is where the money is now, so Intel is shifting focus to that not to desktop. Desktop users have to start getting used to that they are no longer the target audience. Go to any news site, you see phones tablets articles now, and almost no computer news anymore. Times have changed.

Hey Intel, why don't you work on innovation on your CPU side of the house - not this BS.

... Times have changed.

Times are chang"ing", but the PC market is still huge.
If Intel back off they open the market up to their competitor.
Tons of innovations for smaller scale devices will translate well to desktop and vice versa.
They are still developed in tandem.

Intel loves to have a thousand SKUs.

I wonder what SSD features they'll disable for their K series SSDs.

When you look at the results of the overclock they're not that great an increase over the regular speeds. Why would I risk a bricked drive or lowered drive life for a meager increase in throughput? And the money Intel is bound to charge for these things is going to make them doubly not worth it.

So now I can reduce my load times from 6 seconds to 5.6 that's AMAZING!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

So you never overclock anything then?
You really put effort into being awkward, think about it.
Does a CPU store your data?
Does a gfx card store your data?

While an unstable overclock can cause a crash, it is extremely unlikely to corrupt the data thats already on your hard drive.
It can make your OS not boot, but your data is intact.
The risk is that you may take a while getting the machine going again.

This isnt about technical PC users, we have enough common sense not to overclock SSDs with valuable data on. Our data is backed up regularly as well.
This is about non technical users trying it out and screwing up, crashing an SSD.
Excuse us for standing up for the uninformed and non techs :rolleyes:

You really put effort into being awkward, think about it.
Does a CPU store your data?
Does a gfx card store your data?

While an unstable overclock can cause a crash, it is extremely unlikely to corrupt the data thats already on your hard drive.
It can make your OS not boot, but your data is intact.
The risk is that you may take a while getting the machine going again.

This isnt about technical PC users, we have enough common sense not to overclock SSDs with valuable data on. Our data is backed up regularly as well.
This is about non technical users trying it out and screwing up, crashing an SSD.
Excuse us for standing up for the uninformed and non techs :rolleyes:

Yup, it is one of those days at work.

doing work on anything while overclocking your CPU can cause a crash and thus loss of data that you were working on....or if you have your memory pushed to far, but yes, it would more be data loss, and not corruption.

Any joe blow can try to overclock, and they do.. this , it is silly and stupid i think.

I would hope intel has limits to not cause data corruption.

I don't purchase intel ssds, but I would be more than happy to try overclocking an ssd.

Yeah I can't understand why Intel would waste resource on this.

I stopped reading most SSD reviews a while ago as it became pointless (much like high end ram reviews) as the returns now are virtually undetectable in real life usage. So overclocking to allow a few more MBps sounds pure marketing BS to me.

Still if it please a few basement dwellers....

Yeah I can't understand why Intel would waste resource on this.

I stopped reading most SSD reviews a while ago as it became pointless (much like high end ram reviews) as the returns now are virtually undetectable in real life usage. So overclocking to allow a few more MBps sounds pure marketing BS to me.

Still if it please a few basement dwellers....

I think all manufacturers realise that there are "those people" who buy 4 way Titans, that have 3x30" monitors etc etc. The SSD overclocking is for "those people".

(PS, I like looking at the rigs of "those people" :p Not a dig at any of you :p)

Back