Killers Influenced By Video Games

Criminals also mention TV shows like Breaking Bad and violent music.

I guess the video game industry isn't giving Congress enough money.

Sorry the OP is off a bit I think.

The article mentions they talked about, but no mention of them blaming it solely, or saying it is responsible for the murders.

I think all the things they mentioned influenced them. Certainly if they were involved in any gang activity, there is a huge influence, as many gangs have initiations up to and including killing people.

We say responsible for of it influenced it, but I think to be fair it really should be influence their actions. Ultimately, they are responsible.

If gang life and jail wasn't so appealing for these people, maybe they wouldn't be so willing to go do these crimes.

"Photos of James Edwards and Chancey Luna on social media show the boys posing with bricks of cash, raising questions how the boys had so much money."

They must've been REALLY good at CoD! :rolleyes:

Australia...land of the moronic gun laws. I think they are pre-emptively targeting video games to ban next and grabbing anything they can to use as prior evidence for their new 'case history'. With politicians, if it ever made the news it's used to further their agenda.

I never would have suspected Australia would get into people control like the US is starting to, but then again, their modern society did start as a penile colony of exiles. I'm sure genes have a lot to do with it.

Its diversionary BS, to make themselves appear the victim of external influences.

Its an infintile response, something that little kids do to justify when they are busted doing something wrong... "well, well, I didn't wanna but Kyle said that we should and uh uhhh".

The only people that give such nonsense any recognition are people that are looking for evidence, any evidence, that supports their existing belief that their kids play too many video games.
Criminals also mention TV shows like Breaking Bad and violent music.

I guess the video game industry isn't giving Congress enough money.
A lot of parents though somehow are convinced that because many kids play video games, that video games are for kids. So even if the box has NC-17 on it and they won't sell it to a minor, its a video game, its for kids. Kids also watch TV, and I think the average age for gamers now is even higher than for TV viewers, but it doesn't matter.

That, and you have your typical "we need a nanny state" leftist liberals that want to move the capital to San Francisco and model the US after Australia.

people are always looking for people and things to blame...the USA in particular is always looking for meaning, and explanations for deviant behavior that make sense...the people that commit acts like murder probably are more susceptible to outside influences such as movies and video games but that says more about them then the entertainment format

That, and you have your typical "we need a nanny state" leftist liberals that want to move the capital to San Francisco and model the US after Australia.

I'm a 'leftist liberal' (at least compared to most people around here) and I don't want to move the capital to San Fransisco or establish a nanny state.

Blaming video games is a bipartisan thing, or maybe it's better described as a 'misinformed old people' thing... Even the NRA does it.

I'm a 'leftist liberal' (at least compared to most people around here) and I don't want to move the capital to San Fransisco or establish a nanny state.

Blaming video games is a bipartisan thing, or maybe it's better described as a 'misinformed old people' thing... Even the NRA does it.

So what do you think of the "Obama phones" and "Obama care"? What about the whole 99 weeks of unemployment benefits?

How about them playing with the unemployment numbers to make things look infinitely better than they are?

Do you want to be taxed more as well?

What about the constant violation of the Constitution by this administration?

If you are not for these things, you probably need to rethink proclaiming yourself a "leftist liberal".

If you are for these type of things, then you are for a nanny state whether you want to admit it or not.

Right on; video games are a scapegoat for societal ills. It'll pass when something else can be blamed more for it. Comic books were a target for a long time and eventually self-regulated with the CCA. Without being in such a mess, the ESRB was formed and established a rating system with reasoning viewable on the box, something both music and movie ratings pale in comparison.

Any object cannot make you do something horrible. Video games, guns, baseball bats, duct tape, staplers, etc. are all diversions from the responsible party. Influence, fine, but lots of influences around you aren't great and don't take the flak for behavior. It doesn't matter what someone used or watched or played, they're still responsible for that deed.

My idiot neighbors who turn the volume to 11 on wrestling every night make me want to kill people... I love my molars rattling when someone hits the mat.

Australia...land of the moronic gun laws. I think they are pre-emptively targeting video games to ban next and grabbing anything they can to use as prior evidence for their new 'case history'. With politicians, if it ever made the news it's used to further their agenda.

I never would have suspected Australia would get into people control like the US is starting to, but then again, their modern society did start as a penile colony of exiles. I'm sure genes have a lot to do with it.

Did you even read the article? Everything you just wrote has nothing to do with the article in the OP.

If they'd been playing COD, they wouldn't have been standing outside looking for someone to kill.

So what do you think of the "Obama phones" and "Obama care"? What about the whole 99 weeks of unemployment benefits?

How about them playing with the unemployment numbers to make things look infinitely better than they are?

Do you want to be taxed more as well?

What about the constant violation of the Constitution by this administration?

If you are not for these things, you probably need to rethink proclaiming yourself a "leftist liberal".

If you are for these type of things, then you are for a nanny state whether you want to admit it or not.

So what did you think of Bush Phones or corporate Welfare for Exxon and Wells Fargo. Constant violation of the constitution? You heard of the patriot act right? In short lets keep the politics out of this or nobody's going to be able to discuss anything.

As for being influenced by video games, well the only thing I ever killed because of a video game was the furniture. I'm sick of the straw men law enforcement and prosecutors try to prop up to explain someone's individual actions.

If they'd been playing COD, they wouldn't have been standing outside looking for someone to kill.

From what I hear a lot of people playing CoD want to kill the 13-year old punks that keep trash-talking into the mic and won't ever shut up. Also, if that's all they had to play was CoD I could understand them being bored. That's still no excuse to shoot a person at random. A soda can, clay disk, paper target, broken hard drive.... sure, but not a living creature.

As a 36 year old gamer myself going back to the Atari days, those of you that tend to believe video games have no correlation with crime are just being naive. Back in the day when you were looking at glorified blocks, sure I will give you that there was no link. However, as technology has evolved and graphics have gotten near life-like, the amount of gore and blood has taken on a less cartoony look and has become much more real. Whether or not a particular game influences crime, if not thing else, it sure desensitizes one to gore and death.

Just think about this, when was the last time you were actually shocked by something you saw in a video game or movie (save The Human Centipede)?

Hmm, wads of thousands of dollars, a shotgun in the trunk of a car, narcotics and drug paraphernalia...Yep sounds like Call of Duty to me, nothing to with gangs, case closed:rolleyes:

did you read the article? it happened in Oklahoma, the victim was an Australian.

Did they kill people because they realized that they have been COD when they could have been play the many other better tittles out there?

Whether or not a particular game influences crime, if not thing else, it sure desensitizes one to gore and death.
Even if we assume for the sake of argument that it's true — and I don't believe media gore and death are perceived similarly to actual gore and death — does desensitization to violence actually lead to violence?

As a 36 year old gamer myself going back to the Atari days, those of you that tend to believe video games have no correlation with crime are just being naive. Back in the day when you were looking at glorified blocks, sure I will give you that there was no link. However, as technology has evolved and graphics have gotten near life-like, the amount of gore and blood has taken on a less cartoony look and has become much more real. Whether or not a particular game influences crime, if not thing else, it sure desensitizes one to gore and death.

Just think about this, when was the last time you were actually shocked by something you saw in a video game or movie (save The Human Centipede)?

Never, because my brain knows it isn't real. I've seen death in person before and it is NOTHING like a video game or movie. It was the most horrifying thing I've personally ever experience. I'm not going to say that other people cannot be desensitized, but it goes both ways.

Seeing a dead body in real life is completely different than seeing one in a game. You can't get PTSD from a game.

did you read the article? it happened in Oklahoma, the victim was an Australian.

Did you not see the site that the link goes to? It's an Australian newspaper reporting a CNN article.

Hence, my response is pretty danmed accurate.

As a 36 year old gamer myself going back to the Atari days, those of you that tend to believe video games have no correlation with crime are just being naive.

Being I was in high school when you wer born...what does your 36 year old claim to fame have to do with anything?

Now, as for video games, ever since 1992 (Before Doom was released) violent crime has been dropping. My take is the games have been diverting violent tendancies instead of increasing it. The stats prove it.

Yes and no but not for the reasons you state. The TYPE of video games can influence a young person's brain development in different ways.

Some studies back up the general idea that violent video games can reduce parts of the brain that control emotion, but more thought-provoking games can develop other important and empirically desirable parts of the brain.

http://communications.medicine.iu.e...ideo-games-alter-brain-function-in-young-men/

And the other study:

http://www.examiner.com/article/study-video-games-may-boost-brain-power

It's a complex issue and cannot simply be stated as "yes" or "no" but as most news outlets do, they simply dumb it down which is typical and stupid. For some idiotic reason we are fed this lowest common denominator crap like this article which just reaches for whatever someone wants us to believe.

My opinion is that drugs and peer-pressure had something more to do with this horrific event. It's too bad that one person had their life destroyed, and three others could potentially as well.

I was near double-digits when the Atari 2600 first came out, and I don't have de-sensitization to violence, and still value all life quite a bit. Or maybe I'm just naive.

As a much, much older gamer than you, going back to before the Atari days, I can tell you that every bloody, gory video game I've played has instilled no desire in me whatsoever to go out and kill anyone or anything. If anything, I'd say books - which have no graphics at all - are much more dangerous and much more powerful. The Bible has had the most dramatic influence on human history and not a single picture is in it. The Koran has also had a huge impact, and I guarantee you there's no pictures there. How about Mein Kampf? Carl Marx? The U.S. Constitution? Decision making, for good or ill, does not require pictures. All it requires is an intention and a choice to carry out that intention.

As for desensitizing someone... go talk to some war veterans, specifically Army or Marine infantry that have seen front-line combat, or even better - the medics that had to patch them up. Ask them if video games ever desensitized them to what they had to experience and witness. You'll learn a valuable lesson of how reality and fantasy are so very different.

Back