Justice Department Accidentally Outs Google In Data Demands Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
Now that is funny, the government violated its own gag order on accident. No doubt some intern will be blamed and fired. :D

A Department of Justice court filing on August 23 in the US District Court for the Southern District of New York didn't redact Google's name in one instance from the document [PDF], finally confirming what many had suspected: that Google was the unnamed company fighting the government's use of National Security Letters to gain access to company-owned data.

Wow i am amazed that none of the usual suspects have come to make a sarcastic comment like "Of course they are fighting that, after all they don't want competition on the spying business!".

If they violated their own gag order, does this mean Google is free to discuss it? It's total BS they can use a judgeless "letter" to request information and then force everyone to not be able to talk about it.

Old and tired: Whistleblowing
New hotness: accidental disclosure

You can't expose as much and you still get fired, but it beats jail time!

If they violated their own gag order, does this mean Google is free to discuss it? It's total BS they can use a judgeless "letter" to request information and then force everyone to not be able to talk about it.

It's different when you're in the government.

In fact, that's the answer to many of the questions people have about the feds today.

Go figure that Google was behind yet another sinister plot. :( Those guys just can't do the right thing, ever. It must be some sort of threat to their profits or something silly like that.

Go figure that Google was behind yet another sinister plot. :( Those guys just can't do the right thing, ever. It must be some sort of threat to their profits or something silly like that.

So instead of Google fighting the data requests ....you believe the right thing was for them to just hand it over?

So instead of Google fighting the data requests ....you believe the right thing was for them to just hand it over?

Yup. By dragging their feet, they're just slowing down investigations and stuff. That makes it more expensive and then we have to pay more taxes while companies like Google act selfishly and throw tantrums.

Something i don't understand about gag orders. Isn't that unconstitutional?

Yup. By dragging their feet, they're just slowing down investigations and stuff. That makes it more expensive and then we have to pay more taxes while companies like Google act selfishly and throw tantrums.

For some reason, I don't really see you paying much in taxes.....ever.

Something i don't understand about gag orders. Isn't that unconstitutional?

there is a constitution? :rolleyes:
The way this government spies on its own people now days that pieces of paper was prob burned;)

i don't see how this is significant news. Most could have guessed the company.

Congrats you just went full retard.

Hanging around here to troll that's one thing but then stick to your own script or you just end up looking like a hundred yards of dipshit if you can't keep a straight face

Creepy went full retard some time ago. At least on his last couple accounts anyway...

Creepy went full retard some time ago. At least on his last couple accounts anyway...

yeah this is about par for the course. ive had him blocked since the second time i read one of his posts. :D

It's different when you're in the government.

In fact, that's the answer to many of the questions people have about the feds today.

Wait a minute, are you trying to say that the gov't doesn't play by the same rules that they enforce on us?

Wait a minute, are you trying to say that the gov't doesn't play by the same rules that they enforce on us?
Is this a serious question or what? Of course they don't, stupid ass question if serious IMO.

Insider trading for them but not us, NSA breaking laws daily, lobbying for loopholes to jump through and close after, assinating US citizens without charge or trial, illegal drone strikes in multiple countries (no arrests), etc. The very definition of the GOV is implementation by force, something I can't do, and just saying 'we need a revolution' gets you put on multiple high priority lists (no, I don't have the proof in hand, okay! You got me!) catergorized/associated with terrorist activity (threats).

Letting private banks control a countries debt based fiat currency is asking for a nation to be used and abused. Our founding father's warned us of it....no one cares, enough.

So no, no, the government doesn't follow its own rules and gets away with the most broken laws, daily. Anyone somehow missing that is fucking sound asleep IM0.

Edit: my post sounds too hostile, my bad...lol. Just wonder how anyone would question the GOV being one big double standard, with anything (anything).

Hanging around here to troll that's one thing but then stick to your own script or you just end up looking like a hundred yards of dipshit if you can't keep a straight face

Your sense of humor may not have accompanied you into the forum during logon. I realise that the daily news commentary is serious business for some people, but maybe taking news seriously is a little too serious. Try smiling, it makes you look happier. :D

I don't mind name calling and insulting (even though its against the rules of the forum -- just so you know) but I don't see why you're still angry about not "winning" some pointless discussion about politics in a forum. You never do anyway and spend a lot of time typing and hyperlinking to no avail to get across a point that simply doesn't matter to anyone when most people seem to post to poke fun at tech related news. A case of grumpies over not making any difference in threads that involve some sort of discussion about a government when an underlying political agenda isn't being measurably accomplished isn't even rational.

Darn...I just remembered I needed to do something: Add that troll creepyunclegeorge to my ignore list.

Ah...there. Done.

Is this a serious question or what? Of course they don't, stupid ass question if serious IMO.

Insider trading for them but not us, NSA breaking laws daily, lobbying for loopholes to jump through and close after, assinating US citizens without charge or trial, illegal drone strikes in multiple countries (no arrests), etc. The very definition of the GOV is implementation by force, something I can't do, and just saying 'we need a revolution' gets you put on multiple high priority lists (no, I don't have the proof in hand, okay! You got me!) catergorized/associated with terrorist activity (threats).

Letting private banks control a countries debt based fiat currency is asking for a nation to be used and abused. Our founding father's warned us of it....no one cares, enough.

So no, no, the government doesn't follow its own rules and gets away with the most broken laws, daily. Anyone somehow missing that is fucking sound asleep IM0.

/spot on

Actually, so far out in left field as to not even be in the same game.

I love 'actually's'....they never say anything...lol.
Bet Miley twerking is a sweet topic though.

The entire country is basically lawless because the "Justice Department" does nothing to enforce the law.

Eric Holder should have been fired years ago.

Of course they are fighting that. After all, they don't want competition on the spying business.

Put him on ignore and be done with it. He exists only to attention whore via a shitty troll account. I honestly don't know why he hasn't been banned yet.

Back