Apple Buys Another Mapping Company

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple is bound and determined to get their mapping service up to par. To implement that plan, Apple has purchased yet another mapping company, Embark, a provider of mass transit information.

People knowledgeable about the deal suggesting that Apple will directly integrate what Embark has created into Apple Maps. This will add heartiness to Apple’s own Maps app for iOS, working on iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches of all kinds.

Still can't take directions provided by App maps for granted, I'll stick with the print a map of the area and read street signs method.

I know Apple has practically an unlimited amount of money to throw around to buy companies, but would it really hurt them to just use Google maps?

Competition is good, google has the best maps out their, whats Googles drive to improve maps.

Google recently overhauled its maps, would it have done that if Apple hadn't made their own? Who knows.

yup - if I was someone who owned a big chunk... (and I actually cared what happened to the company)

I'd be pretty pissed they are wasting billions of dollars buying up these companies that ultimately will do nothing to fix the problem.

The problem? They are too god damn self righteous to use google maps.

yup - if I was someone who owned a big chunk... (and I actually cared what happened to the company)

I'd be pretty pissed they are wasting billions of dollars buying up these companies that ultimately will do nothing to fix the problem.

The problem? They are too god damn self righteous to use google maps.

Lol why? Why would a shareholder care? Every shareholder wants a company to expand into as many things as possible to make as much money as it can. Why would Google waste millions or even billions a year on R&D services which a majority will be shut down in a year or two? Do you realize how many services Google invested into and folded? Its because at the very least the R&D you spent can be folded into other areas, improve other tech, or even sold. Apple is doing the same thing Google does but people actually you know use that service. With Apple its less about ego and more about control because you know Apple likes closed enviroments and control. You guys are just blind.

Lol why? Why would a shareholder care? Every shareholder wants a company to expand into as many things as possible to make as much money as it can. Why would Google waste millions or even billions a year on R&D services which a majority will be shut down in a year or two? Do you realize how many services Google invested into and folded? Its because at the very least the R&D you spent can be folded into other areas, improve other tech, or even sold. Apple is doing the same thing Google does but people actually you know use that service. With Apple its less about ego and more about control because you know Apple likes closed enviroments and control. You guys are just blind.

This had nothing to do with money (ok everything boils down to money) and more to do with google displaying ads on their apple version of maps.

If google didnt change anything with their app, itd still be integrated into iOS. If jobs wasnt alive at the time of this deal I doubt it would of been anything like it currently is. Apple for sure did take a big bite when trying to roll its own map service, and honestly the non integration of google maps hasnt hurt google at all.p

The Maps app has gotten better obviously. And since it's all server based, it has been a nice transparent change.

But even yesterday I typed "chilis restaurant" (which was a recommendation as I was typing) because I knew there was one only a couple blocks from work, but forgot where. Well that search result only showed 2 restaurants in the Dallas area. So I retyped it with an apostrophe, "chili's restaurant" and that correctly showed all the Chili's in the area. So obviously stuff like that needs to be worked on.

Just wait a year or two people and we'll hear how Apple invented map apps, and they will prompty sue Google for stealing the idea

Back