Staples Supplies Bad News on PC sales

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The PC industry usually doesn't usually rely on reports from Staples to know which way the financial winds are blowing, but with the ominous data from Staples in this time of PC downturn, analysts are beginning to take a more serious notice.

The operative phrase here is, "tablets are going to be....bigger than computers are now."

All sales at Staples are bad news. No one goes there. Except for when the Nexus 7 was on sale.

No surprise or news here. Move along.

PCs are tools for content creation. My parents do not need to create content. Virtually no one in my large extended family needs to create content. Few people at the technology company I work at create content, outside of work hours.

Tablets, phones, e-readers, etc. are tools of content consumption. It's like bemoaning the decline in sales of professional grade video cameras. 90% of the market just needs a TV to watch the content on.

i worked for staples easytech for years. There PC/laptop selection sucks for the most part. my Store which was a really big store. Displayed 4 desktops, about 20 monitors (what? more monitors then PCs?) and about 10-12 laptops. Easytech stopped there marketing which is retarded if they want to compete with geeksquad.

Always these "industry" doom/gloom stories that never once really explains the why of it.

I have purchased a tablet recently, but not a PC.

WHY???

Because I did not have a tablet previously, so it was a new toy to me. I have *ahem* "several" very modern PCs already at my disposal, so I don't need a twelfth PC (I'm kidding... or AM I?).

FTA said:
tablets are going to be....bigger than computers are now.
Well... I got in on the NCASE M1.

So tablets are ALREADY bigger than my PC will be in ~January :D

Ok so I'm leaving out one paltry dimension.

Who the hell would buy a computer at Staples?

Haha, who the hell buys a computer at Staples?

Lots of big city offices, actually. Staples business account offer free shipping, and very instantaneous too. But we don't buy computers from Staples, just office supplies. I have a contact for computers, servers, printers, Cisco units and tablets from a representative that sells only to businesses at discount. (in my case, Digerati Group). We get printer papers, toners, pens, 24-pack bottled water, K-cups and the likes from Staples.

Besides, majority of Staples in Chicago only has like 2 or 3 desktop in stock - very shoddy ones - and maybe 10 laptops and netbooks, but 10-15 tablets on display ranging from several versions of Nooks, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Samsung and ASUS tablets and a few generic Android tablets.

This is purely ready made crap off the shelf sales though, what they should look at is the amount of hardware components being sold, if that is still steadily moving, then there is nothing to worry about.

The only thing I think of or associate with Staples is that whenever I go into their store I feel nauseated by the fumes and ozone coming from the printing section.

Well I think I know why no one shops at Staples anymore: I don't work there anymore :)

people buy laptops at staples.

With the coupons, sometimes the laptop prices are pretty good.

and tablets are outpacing pc's because tablets are all cheap.
Make a decent $299 laptop, and watch them sell.

Tablets also suffer the same problem as pc's- usually the more expensive the tablet, the fewer they sell. e.g MS Surface. Most people just want something decent under $299

Always have to count the non-assembled computers though, and even if preassembled or total "desktop" sales are down, that's fine, the market is still massive. A little diversity never hurt anyone (no there goes the neighborhood jokes please).
The PC industry usually doesn't usually rely on reports from Staples
We better get back, because it'll be dark soon. They usually come at night... usually.

I have no interest for a tablet beyond using it to read books or something. I like to observe the world around me, not ignore people in the same room by staring down at it and talking to them, and generally interact with objects and people. When I need to compute or game, I go to the desktop to show my time is alotted.

I know, I know, I'm acting old.

Tablets also suffer the same problem as pc's- usually the more expensive the tablet, the fewer they sell. e.g MS Surface. Most people just want something decent under $299

Uh, false. Apple is dominating the tablet space, and ASP is a helluva lot higher than $299.

Back