Cases that support EEB format?

SunnyD

2[H]4U
I figured I'd ask here since I have a sneaking suspicion the DC community might have better intel on this than most of the other subs.

I'm trying to find a decent, not terribly expensive system case that will take an EEB format motherboard. The catch is I'd prefer if possible a workstation case rather than a rack chassis, which is where I'm having less luck.

I know that EEB and EATX (or is it EEATX?) share the same footprint, but from what I gather by looking at the specs the extended mounting holes on EEB are somewhat different than EATX. The DIY'er in me says "just get nylon standoffs and be done with it", but I wanted to make sure I'm not just missing something obvious.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with this? TIA.

xigmatek elysium is a favorite among a lot of people here.

i personally have a Fractal Design XL R2, here is a pic of an SSI EEB in it: http://i.imgur.com/7LAwA9M.jpg

you can see that it covers the cable routing holes, so i had to run the cables to the right there.

As bigted mentioned, there's the Xigmatek Elysium. There's also a couple more that, if I remember correctly, are manufactured by the same OEM. Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra and Enermax Fulmo.

Nice fit bigted :)
Would a Z9PE-D8 WS fit into that XL R2 without major mods?

Nice fit bigted :)
Would a Z9PE-D8 WS fit into that XL R2 without major mods?

your board is the same size as mine, will fit without any mods, only thing is that i had one standoff hole that didn't line up.

Check out the larger Lian-Li's as well, most come with the mounting bracket for CEB/EEB, if your board will even need it. The older Silverstones like the TJ-07 and TJ-09 have the proper standoffs for it as well.

It's cases for MEB boards that are much tougher to find.

The SilverStone Raven RV03 is specified to house an EEB board. I wanted to buy one but I decided that case is too ugly for my tastes.

Chelsea Oilman had some Haf cases he modded to fit his g34's into, they where the big ones do not remember the model #.

My folding boxes are naked, so...:)

sc0tty8, the HAF 932 and HAF X both support E-ATX, but I don't know about "EEB." A number of us are using the 932 and X cases for G34 SWTX-format setups, but we have to drill new standoff holes for the SWTX boards.

I'm pretty sure eeb is just e-atx with different stand off holes. So a lot of the bigger cases should be able to be modified to fit the eeb boards.

I'm pretty sure eeb is just e-atx with different stand off holes. So a lot of the bigger cases should be able to be modified to fit the eeb boards.

That's pretty much what I gathered from reading info about the spec. I was just hoping for some confirmation before I potentially drop money on something and find out it won't work.

You used to have to bolt the heatsinks through the motherboard directly to the case and you needed the standoffs to do so. With the newer sockets, I don't think any use that cpu heatsink setup anymore.

Here's one of my older EEB boards, LGA 771, in a TJ-09, the two intel heatsinks are attached to the motherboard tray directly, so you need those 8 extra standoffs to attach the heatsinks to.

DSC00987.jpg

That's pretty much what I gathered from reading info about the spec. I was just hoping for some confirmation before I potentially drop money on something and find out it won't work.

In a couple of days I'm picking up an Asus eeb board and going to test it in my stacker rc 810. So I'll let you know what I discover :)

I was hoping for the same, I have a case that can take EATX but if it can do EEB that would be sweet!

I was hoping for the same, I have a case that can take EATX but if it can do EEB that would be sweet!

as i stated earlier in the thread, i have an eatx case and i put an ssi eeb board in with only one standoff hole not lining up. should be good to go

Damn... found the Antec 1100 on sale for $65 this week (AR), but unfortunately it only officially accommodates up to XL-ATL. The next cheapest thing I've found is the NZXT Phantom at $80 (EATX), but it's butt-ugly imho.

edit: Actually, I'm reading a couple of reviews that the 1100 can accommodate EATX boards (maybe not the mounting, but the girth - TWSS!). Anyone here possibly able to corroborate that?

XL-ATX (13.5" x 10")
SSI EEB (12" x 13")

it *looks* like there is enough length to the tray on the case to accommodate, but you would be covering the cable management holes and would need to tap your own motherboard mounts. this is going JUST by looking at the pictures on Newegg.

XL-ATX (13.5" x 10")
SSI EEB (12" x 13")

it *looks* like there is enough length to the tray on the case to accommodate, but you would be covering the cable management holes and would need to tap your own motherboard mounts. this is going JUST by looking at the pictures on Newegg.

Thanks. Looking at the pictures, I'm actually a bit concerned about that ridge where the cable management goes at the front of the board. It looks like it's raised to a good bit from the base of the motherboard tray. I could always put something non-conductive between the tray and the board, but that's only a temporary solution at best. I doubt it's worth it just to save a few bucks.

Good thing I'm not in a hurry for this build!

By the way, the board in question is a Tyan S7012. It's already proving to be "difficult"... since CPU0 is surrounded by some rather close and interfering components for a lot of heatsink mounts.

Just to add (a bit late I know) the Asus Z9PE-D16 fitted great in my stacker RC 810. 2 risers/stand offs are not available on the case, but there's enough there to support the board (just don't flex it :p).

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a Fractal Define XL R2, fits my board quite happily and still manages to handle cable management somewhat. And it's quite nice. So nice that I actually think I'm going to get another for my main desktop. Anyway, now onto bigger and better problems.

Just wanted to come back and say thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a Fractal Define XL R2, fits my board quite happily and still manages to handle cable management somewhat. And it's quite nice. So nice that I actually think I'm going to get another for my main desktop. Anyway, now onto bigger and better problems.

excellent, i am a huge fan of Fractal's. good to hear you're happy with them as well :)

Back