Is LinkedIn Cheating Employers and Job Seekers Alike

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many of you that are using (or have used) LinkedIn feel like the company is double dipping?

You're a job seeker. You pay LinkedIn $29.95 per month for a "Job Seeker Premium" membership so that, when you apply for jobs, you can artificially "move your job applications to the top of the list as a Featured Applicant." You're an employer and you're hiring. You pay LinkedIn $3,950 for 10 job postings to help you find the best, most qualified hires.

Do employers seriously use this crap?

"Wow, he's got over 100 connections; he's got to be the best candidate for this position!"

Do employers seriously use this crap?

"Wow, he's got over 100 connections; he's got to be the best candidate for this position!"

Even though I've heard of people finding jobs in there I ask myself the same question. To me LinkedIn is not a credible source of anything. It kind of reminds me of bands and people that use MySpace as their webpage and think it look professional.

LinkedIn is absolutely amazing for building out your rolodex of professional contacts, and finding and getting introductions to 2nd and 3rd level connections. I use it quite a bit for that purpose and have reaped the benefits many times over. It's pretty useless for applying to jobs and such, but great for finding people to network with in companies you want to work for.

LinkedIn is absolutely amazing for building out your rolodex of professional contacts, and finding and getting introductions to 2nd and 3rd level connections. I use it quite a bit for that purpose and have reaped the benefits many times over. It's pretty useless for applying to jobs and such, but great for finding people to network with in companies you want to work for.

Unless it's hookers on there trying to make "2nd and 3rd level connections", I just can't be bothered.

I have had bad luck in the last few years with job sites. As opposed to 10 years ago, i would get great call backs and interviews from monster etc..

Linkedin is triple dipping.

job seekers, employers, and stock buyers. Look at its super inflated stock price.

My current job is through LinkedIn. My first ever interview was from Monster, and another job through monster.

It works, you just have to be pro-active and not just wait for companies to contact you.

I don't use its paid service, but I've had multiple offers for job interviews through LinkedIn, and some offers although I haven't taken them.

I can only assume that it works well if you have a targeted enough bio/are in a field that has a decent job demand.

When LinkedIn started, I thought it was like a facebook or something for techs/nerds, had a friend who told me to join., I did, talked with some people now and again (Old coworkers). This was may years back, but even then, I didnt take it seriously as a job search place, only uploaded my resume as a "why not" thing.

Never gained from it, but I never get onto it. Havent seen/used it in a very long time, and dont really intend to. It just never seemed the right place

Very true, with 10x the BS, stupid ass endorsements that anyhow can give etc.

Linkedin is even more phony than a paper resume.

Endorsements are like assholes, they are all stink and look the same. What you need is recommendations, that's what really matters for the linked in crowd.

My current job is through LinkedIn. My first ever interview was from Monster, and another job through monster.

It works, you just have to be pro-active and not just wait for companies to contact you.

Their system also works well if you're in a high demand tech job and you have decent experience. I get contacts nearly every day. Granted the jobs are usually not what I want at all (like social game development) but the offers are definitely real and constant.

If you're not in a position like this...yeah it probably isn't going to be worth the money linkedin is charging.

Their system also works well if you're in a high demand tech job and you have decent experience. I get contacts nearly every day. Granted the jobs are usually not what I want at all (like social game development) but the offers are definitely real and constant.

If you're not in a position like this...yeah it probably isn't going to be worth the money linkedin is charging.

The point isn't whether the money they're charging you is worth it. It's whether it's ethical for them to be playing both the employer and employee side of the job pool and how do they do that without a conflict of interest. I get numerous job offers from folks on a daily basis. But nearly all of them would require that I relocate to places I have zero desire to ever set foot.

It's whether it's ethical for them to be playing both the employer and employee side of the job pool and how do they do that without a conflict of interest.

If they've represented themselves as matching the best employers with the best employees then it's unethical to take money from anybody to move them to the top of a listing above people who haven't paid because paying doesn't make you a better employer/employee. It doesn't become more unethical if they're doing it on both sides.

I've hit unsubscribe from every single linkedin email and they still keep sending me the trash.

The point isn't whether the money they're charging you is worth it. It's whether it's ethical for them to be playing both the employer and employee side of the job pool and how do they do that without a conflict of interest. I get numerous job offers from folks on a daily basis. But nearly all of them would require that I relocate to places I have zero desire to ever set foot.

How is it legally unethical? Please explain that one to me. You can use the service for free, or you can choose to pay, or not use it. There is nothing unethical about it. Are they double dipping? Actually, no they are not. They are providing separate resources and solutions to both parties if they choose to use them. They also have other services they charge for in their premium features. I make the choice to use their service for free and pay no extra fees and I still reap many of the benefits of the service.

I find it hilarious and ridiculous how many people just expect everything to be free these days and get all worked up anytime someone tries to make money. Apparently making money and being successful these days is unethical.

Back