Problems With Six Windows Patches In Latest Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
If your Windows PC has automatic updates turned on, you'll probably want to read this.

In an amazing tour de force, Microsoft's Automatic Update chute released at least six bad patches on Tuesday. Here's what's amazing: It's just 48 hours or so since the bomb bay doors opened, and Microsoft has acknowledged problems with all of these patches.

damn this must be a new record!...six patches released and all 6 have issues lol...they had an issue a few months back with one of their Patch Tuesday releases as well...good thing I always wait 1-2 weeks before installing any Windows Update patches

I have autoupdate turned off but updated manually on Tuesday anyway. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I had automatic update turned on and it updated, but I haven't had problems yet.

It's kind of cool with the automatic reboot feature that it acts more like a hibernate / restore, leaving all programs in the same state as before reboot after restarting.

I haven't noticed any issue but it looks like they have security vulnerabilities in them so you wouldn't notice that unless you got hacked.

Installed updates last night, great. What do you do, roll them back and be vulnerable or keep them and still be vulnerable? :(

MS pulled 5 of the 6 patches so it's probably best to roll back or uninstall...did they layoff their QA dept?

OK, so the first one is an Exchange 2013 patch. Any decent admin wouldn't immediately install these. He'd install it on one system, typically a test system if he had one, and then distribute to the rest of that test system didn't show problems after a month. Not a real problem here for most of us.

The second one is a patch for WinXP SP3, and could stop some games from working. Well, if any gamers are still on WinXP, they should be deprived of their games so they could work on getting their brains working.

The last four are all of Server and dealing with AD federation services 2.0. Not too many people here working on that. Again, any self respecting admin would test these on a test system for a month before deploying them. The majority of users would not be affected by this at all, and only a few would have a significant impact.

I don't consider these problems. I'd consider these 'annoyances.'

So they don't seem to be any big deal? That's good because mine just updated last night and it took forever to restart. Haven't seen any problems yet tho so guess I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it and not worry about it now.

The second one is a patch for WinXP SP3, and could stop some games from working. Well, if any gamers are still on WinXP, they should be deprived of their games so they could work on getting their brains working.

'

That is pure ignorance. I have both Win7 and Win8 installed but I also have XP on another computer, even Win2Kpro and Vista on other PCs. Right tools for the right job. Good thing my XP PC is not even connected to the internet so don't need to get any updates.

MS13-066/KB 2873872/KB 2843638/KB 2843639/KB 2868846

These took out my ADFS server and single sign on to Salesforce the other day.

Release critical security patch for Authentication servers and have them disable said servers.

Win.

So they don't seem to be any big deal? That's good because mine just updated last night and it took forever to restart. Haven't seen any problems yet tho so guess I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it and not worry about it now.

Wrong... The page for that patch says IF you are running XP, you have to have SP3 installed first.

When you expand the properties to see what it applies to, it is everything from XP to 8 including Server.

2859537 sounds like software doing things it shouldn't. It is no surprise that the games that are affected include spyware.

Back