Xbox One Games Are Not Region Locked

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this statements made by Microsoft, Xbox One games will not be region locked.

Following confirmation of the delay a Microsoft rep wrote in a statement to Eurogamer, “When the console launches this November, we will support Xbox One in 13 markets. Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One.

The only thing that will make me hold off on purchasing the PS4 and the Xbox One (yes, as I do now, I will have all the major consoles in my home) is the fact that, with no backwards compatibility, there is no real reason to get one until there are actual games to play on them.

For the consoles that I have purchased that have backwards compatibility I have never used that so a lack of that isn't really an issue for me.

That is good that they won't be region locked though. will allow people to get and play games from anywhere.

Good. Region lock never make sense to begin with.

How are they going to control prices in Europe vs the US, for example, without region locks? This means prices will be the same everywhere.

Now don't get me wrong this does sound great but the big negative I see with this is...that prices will be leveled out across the world, meaning the U.S. market will see an INCREASE in prices while somewhere like Australia and Europe will see a DECREASE.

Hmmm what is M$ up to...

Thank goodness our Aussie friends will finally be able to get games that havn't been neutered in order to make them more appropriate.

Backwards compatibility isn't an issue for me as I have an X360 for that. When Sony got rid of PS2 backwards compatibility, people really didn't have an issue with that.

Thank goodness our Aussie friends will finally be able to get games that havn't been neutered in order to make them more appropriate.

Backwards compatibility isn't an issue for me as I have an X360 for that. When Sony got rid of PS2 backwards compatibility, people really didn't have an issue with that.

Yet they still threw massive tantrums over it.

I've never used backwards compatibility in my consoles either. Just because I buy a new one, doesn't mean my old console suddenly disappears. As far as wanting to play old games 5 years later, can't say I really care since what time I have these days to play games is limited, I don't need to go back and play old games again and again.

As far as wanting to play old games 5 years later, can't say I really care since what time I have these days to play games is limited, I don't need to go back and play old games again and again.

Surely however there must be old games you haven't played yet?

How are they going to control prices in Europe vs the US, for example, without region locks? This means prices will be the same everywhere.

Now don't get me wrong this does sound great but the big negative I see with this is...that prices will be leveled out across the world, meaning the U.S. market will see an INCREASE in prices while somewhere like Australia and Europe will see a DECREASE.

Hmmm what is M$ up to...

I don't think they will be too successful in passing on game price hikes this time around. There is just so much competition these days and only a limited amount of people willing to spend over $60 for a single game.

Microflop is backpedaling faster than I've ever seen on the XBoned policies.

Wow, their stupid E3 stuff must have really hurt them.

Back