Windows By The Numbers

I have 3 copies personally. Hated when I had to go back to 7 after how smooth windows 8 feel to me, so upgraded all of my systems.

Before anyone jumps in here to hoot and holler about Windows 8 100M licenses, the install base is only about 58 Million. Almost half of Windows 8 PC's have downgraded.

SOURCE

I have 3 copies personally. Hated when I had to go back to 7 after how smooth windows 8 feel to me, so upgraded all of my systems.

Because Win 7 is such a jarring, jerky non smooth experience...:rolleyes:

I really hate it when people make exaggerated or ill informed statements like that. None bother for a second to compare apples to apples in which a clean win 7 install is nearly indistinguishable from a clean win 8 install on like hardware.

Just seems to be some fuzzy math.

Kind of like the media outlets use. If you took a deep breath in 2008 you are a likely voter for the democrat party.

I really hate it when people make exaggerated or ill informed statements like that. None bother for a second to compare apples to apples in which a clean win 7 install is nearly indistinguishable from a clean win 8 install on like hardware.

On older hardware though windows 8 pulls out in the lead, and I promise you anyone no matter how stupid can feel the difference in bootup speed. In my house the 2 windows 8 copies go onto older machines purposely because it masks the slowness of the hard drives.

I wonder...
I worked for a company and in order to buy XP licenses, we had to buy Vista licenses for the same pc.
Could MS be doing the same thing with 8 and 7?
Yes, you can put 7 on that pc so long as you own an 8 license?

Clicking and dragging through the start menu has always been something I found irritating, as far back as windows 2000. Keyboard shortcuts and desktop icons are my preferred method of navigation.

I also find the start menus search ability in win7 lacking compared to the 8 version. Windows key + typing the first 2 characters of the program you want to open and you are done. That almost never gets me where I need to go with 7, requiring more clicks to do the same thing.

And I do believe I used the words "to me", which should clearly indicate that this is opinion, feel free to disagree.

100M "sold" licenses doesn't mean 100M installed user base.

Personally speaking, I like Windows 8. I'm not saying its better then Windows 7, but, after using it since release, its not any worse.

I personally think 8 is a pretty good upgrade overall when not considering modern ui. Because what else do people have to hate 8 for other than the UI? I mean its terrible for desktops or non touch screen enabled pcs but for touch enabled pcs its really decent. I will probably end up replacing 7 on my desktop once 8.1 comes out because despite all the hate windows 8 is a good improvement under the hood.

we can now put a name to the latest MS Kool-Aid: HEMLOCK

if not fatal, at least hallucinatory

Before anyone jumps in here to hoot and holler about Windows 8 100M licenses, the install base is only about 58 Million. Almost half of Windows 8 PC's have downgraded.

SOURCE

That was three months ago. If you take the same logic from this article and apply to current percentages you get numbers much closer to 100 million. At any rate it will be just a matter of weeks before 8 without question hits the 100 million active machines number using the method in this link. That would make the second fastest desktop OS to hit that number after 7. Which is remarkable considering that so many think that Windows 8 is a disaster and a catastrophe. Any other desktop OS would be lucky to be that kind of disaster.

That was three months ago. If you take the same logic from this article and apply to current percentages you get numbers much closer to 100 million. At any rate it will be just a matter of weeks before 8 without question hits the 100 million active machines number using the method in this link. That would make the second fastest desktop OS to hit that number after 7. Which is remarkable considering that so many think that Windows 8 is a disaster and a catastrophe. Any other desktop OS would be lucky to be that kind of disaster.

If it took them 7 months(October release to May when the article was written) to sell 58 Million licenses, it seems unlikely that they sold an additional 42 million in the last three months. The actual number is probably somewhere in between May's 58 million and the claimed 100 million.

One thing to consider is that when 8 first released tons of windows 7 systems were still available at retail. Over the course of a year they have dried up. So I would expect to see windows 8 numbers start to accelerate a little which would be the opposite of the argument that they should have been fastest early on. Also as time goes on less people are becoming blindly afraid of the OS as they slowly start running into people who do use it and can show them how to use it.

If it took them 7 months(October release to May when the article was written) to sell 58 Million licenses, it seems unlikely that they sold an additional 42 million in the last three months. The actual number is probably somewhere in between May's 58 million and the claimed 100 million.

Let's use the same formulas with current percentages. In May, which would have been month end numbers for April:

NetMarketShare: 3.82% of 1.5bn = 57.3m Windows 8 machines in use.

StatCounter: 4.74% of 1.25bn = 59.25m Windows 8 machines in use.

Using July's NetmarketShare number of 5.42 for 8/8.1, NetMarketShare showed Windows 8.1 at .02% and using the current StatCounter latest weekly number for Windows 8 at 6.93% we have:

NetMarketShare:5.42% of 1.5bn = 81.3m Windows 8 machines in use.

StatCounter: 6.93% of 1.25bn = 86.6m Windows 8 machines in use.

So that's an average of about 84m Windows 8.x devices showing up. That should be just about at 100 million by the end of next month. Of course there could be some slow down depending on how 8.1 roles out, or it could pick up a bit it there's a deal like the $40 deal at the launch of Windows 8.

Going back to school, Christmas both in the first season since windows 7 disappeared from availability. Windows 8 market share will surely climb. Also its probably too soon but sooner or later tablet growth will need to slow and people will start replacing laptops and desktops.

I honestly don't get the Windows 8 hate you slap on Classic Shell and bam you have classic interface style Windows.

One thing to consider is that when 8 first released tons of windows 7 systems were still available at retail. Over the course of a year they have dried up. So I would expect to see windows 8 numbers start to accelerate a little which would be the opposite of the argument that they should have been fastest early on. Also as time goes on less people are becoming blindly afraid of the OS as they slowly start running into people who do use it and can show them how to use it.

Please, you could get a Windows 8 license cheaper than any other Windows license in history, for months, and you are still trying to rationalize why it's actual use has been terrible?

Occam's Razor.

I honestly don't get the Windows 8 hate you slap on Classic Shell and bam you have classic interface style Windows.

And if an automatic update changes a file that classic shell is dependent upon BAM no more classic shell

See the problem

Don't put words in my mouth I am simply pointing out reality suggests there should be an increase in market share or acceleration. When windows 8 first released tons of people hated on it and many people I saw in best buy were steered away from it toward windows7 systems. Those type of buyers will have no choice this year. They will either buy a mac or buy windows 8.

Second for non tech savvy users most of them do not upgrade nor did they see the cheap options at $15 etc... that we saw for windows 8. For all they know it was always the expensive price they saw in best buy. Lets put it another way, a shit ton of the people hoarding the ultra cheap windows 8 keys had no intention of installing it. Those people wont show up on the 55 million numbers.

Please, you could get a Windows 8 license cheaper than any other Windows license in history, for months, and you are still trying to rationalize why it's actual use has been terrible?

Occam's Razor.

Upgrade licenses are a small percentage of how people get new copies of Windows.

Also lets point out another ignorant trend that takes place in this forum. People keep saying that people had to buy windows 8, or that people bought it then down graded etc... So what, what is your point? Plenty of people who wanted windows XP had to buy even windows 7 then down grade and many did. That is just how MS rolls, and since there has been no such change in policy it means licenses sold should be compared directly to licenses sold. If someone wants to use a different stat that is fine too. All versions of windows were forced on us. Including the ones you guys like.

All versions of windows were forced on us. Including the ones you guys like.

Not really. They tried to "force" Vista on us and the result was that it remained irrelevant until Windows 7 came out. Windows 8 will suffer the same fate.

I bought one 8 license, tried it for a few months, threw the POS into a box somewhere and went back to Win 7. I will never buy a Shit Box nor use Skynet. I guess that makes me and M$ basher. Not really, I love Win 7, and for me it is very smoooooth.

Didn't they say they sold 100 million copies or maybe 80 million like a few months ago? That means that they've sold basically no licenses in the last few couple months which is pretty sad since there's like 200 billion personal computers on the planet and half of what they do claim to have sold isn't even installed on a PC.

And if an automatic update changes a file that classic shell is dependent upon BAM no more classic shell

See the problem

7 months in and they haven't killed it yet; the only way I could ever see that happening is if they completely removed the classic desktop. Even if Classic Shell became unusable you can create your own stripped down start menu through Windows itself.

Mm no, I do agree with him, Win 8 is a lot snappier

The only thing I miss is the Start button and aero, but not the start menu. I've greatly changed Metro's appearance

Back