Samsung to Buy OLED Maker Novaled for $347 Million

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Samsung is already heavily invested in the manufacturing of OLED screens, both small and large screen versions and will be needing additional help is the manufacturing process. The investment in Novaled will insure Samsung’s leading position in OLED screen production.

Germany-based Novaled develops OLEDs (organic light-emitting diodes) that are used in the displays of smartphones and increasingly those of TV sets. OLED screens are thinner, lighter, and brighter than conventional LED screens, but are more difficult to manufacture

Ohh shiny purchase Sammy.
Hopefully they can make the most of the purchase and begin churning out nice consumer class panels at a decent price. Again hoping for 120hz+, 1440p Oled with Hdmi 2.0/ Highspeed DP.

love my oled in my galaxy nexus -- but also wary of the tech itself.

I've had the phone 1.5 years and it's experienced burn in on the screen and can see a ghost image of my keyboard when certian bright solid colors are on the screen. I'd flip out if this happened to my dream monitor as mentioned by rundown... 1440, 120hz, with hdmi2.0 -- (27" would be my flavor)

Dropping 600-1000 dollars on something like that it had better not burn in for at least 5 years.

Considering how invested they are into LCD and Plasma still, I do imagine they needed more floor space to produce the bigger OLED panels.

Ohh shiny purchase Sammy.
Hopefully they can make the most of the purchase and begin churning out nice consumer class panels at a decent price. Again hoping for 120hz+, 1440p Oled with Hdmi 2.0/ Highspeed DP.

Enjoy that terrible pixel burn out that OLED suffers from. Even in smartphones which have their screens on for short periods of time throughout the day, pixel burn out occurs quite noticeably over the course of a year or two tops.

Now apply it to a PC or television environment where you display the same static layouts for hours on end and you have a total disaster.

OLED will not be sustainable for the consumer monitor/television market until lifespans of pixels can be exponentially increased.

Back