NVIDIA Releasing Open Source Software for SHIELD

HardOCP News

[H] News
Most gaming devices are black boxes. You use the games and apps the device’s manufacturer approves. No tinkering. End of story. That’s not where we wanted to go with SHIELD, which began shipping last week. That’s why we’ve released the open-source code developers and modders can use to customize SHIELD’s entire operating system.

So, just to recap, this is a device you already can use to play mobile games, watch movies, and listen to music. You can stream games from your PC with our PC Game Streaming feature, now in BETA. You can even use it to fly an AR.Parrot drone. But if you’re not content with what SHIELD can do out of the box, we invite you to build out SHIELD’s capabilities in any way you wish. To be sure, this is double-diamond stuff. If you’re not a coder or already set up with an Android development environment you should skip downloading these tools and perhaps just check out what the amazing XDA community can do instead.

That's nice but unless I see it below $250 I won't get one.

Pretty cool move by Nvidia me thinks and this could jumpstart sales....

It already jumpstarted my sale! I'm a huge fan of open source android and leaving this device open will allow me to make it EXACTLY how I want it!

Other handhelds have done well to emulate other systems in the past, but this device was just plain made for being the ultimate handheld.

Bravo NVIDIA

Back