AMD HD7870 vs. NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti

HardOCP News

[H] News
Neoseeker has pit the AMD HD7870 against the NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti in a head-to-head dual to the death. We're not sure if either of the cards died, I just thought that sounded pretty epic. ;)

Feature-wise both boards are equipped with 2GB of high speed GDDR5 memory, the major difference lays in the memory speed supported by the individual boards. The HD 7870's memory is clocked at 4800MHz while the GTX 660 Ti OC's is 6008MHz effective. Both the HD 7870 OC and the GTX 660 Ti OC support Eyefinity/Surround and CrossFireX/SLI configurations with resolutions up to 5760x1080 with playable frame rates.

I had a friend who purchased the 7878hd because it was the cheaper card. He had to take it back to exchange it 3 times cause it kept giving him artifacts. I told him from the start go with Nvidia it's the better product. He is happy he finally exchanged it for the Nvidia and paid the extra price.

Id rather have peace of mind instead of a cheaper card.

Meh. For $260 my EVGA GTX 760 ACX pwns them both, even w/o additional oc'g.

Getting a 660Ti makes no sense, as the 760 is faster and costs the same.

and? the 760 will beat a 660ti with 3gb just the same as it beats the 2gb model.

The 760 is 10-20% faster for 16% more money, and there might be situations where >2GB is beneficial, like in Skyrim and next-gen console ports.

If everyone's budget was $260+, we wouldn't have these comparisons.

The 760 is 10-20% faster for 16% more money, and there might be situations where >2GB is beneficial, like in Skyrim and next-gen console ports.

If everyone's budget was $260+, we wouldn't have these comparisons.
again the 760 will beat the 660ti in every case regardless of whether it has 2gb or 3gb. the only exception might be someone using insane texture mods in Skyrim. so again recommending a slower card with 3gb of ram is pointless unless that one exception applies. and no the 660ti with 3gb wont magically be faster next year either because of the next gen consoles.

again the 760 will beat the 660ti in every case regardless of whether it has 2gb or 3gb. the only exception might be someone using insane texture mods in Skyrim. so again recommending a slower card with 3gb of ram is pointless unless that one exception applies. and no the 660ti with 3gb wont magically be faster next year either because of the next gen consoles.

I'll say it for a third time. Asus 660 Ti is $35 cheaper. The extra VRAM is just a bonus. In most games the 760 is only 10% faster, some games it's closer to zero (Farcry 3). So the 660 Ti at $225 is as good or better bang for the buck.

Your logic is like saying don't buy a 650 Ti Boost cause the 760 is faster.

Last edited:
Back