36% of US Computer Owners Abuse Their PCs

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Are you one of those guys sitting in front of your computer at home or at the office yelling and cussing the screen because it can’t read your mind? Actually, you are not by yourself. A study sponsored by Crucial Memory found that 36% of all US PC owners are guilty of raging on their computers, sometimes to the point of violence.

So what was the cause of their PC misbehaving? 46 percent of those surveyed blamed a virus or malware attack, while 12 percent blamed their own actions for the issues. 10 percent said installed software caused a problem on their PC and eight percent said there was not enough RAM in their computer. 12 percent didn't know what the problem was.

don't get angry at an inanimate object that's just irrational. Simply blame 100% of all electronic device problems on bill gates. That's the sane thing to do.

I'm guilty at yelling at my computer every now and then, however usually it's when I'm in a hurry, and the "Windows 7 startup time" they used to love to pimp doesn't mean how long it takes to start running shit. Although my desktop with a SSD boot drive that's really a non issue now. My laptop though, fire it, need to check some webpage really quickly, windows pops up.. ahhh... still needs needs to load some shit, FF won't open until everything is loaded... been tempted to get a SSD for that too, but 250GB ones are still not at the 50c/gb rang.

Back when I was a kid I used to rage on my original Nintendo with Super Mario Bros and some other games. I raged and smashed my controller to which my mom refused to buy me a replacement and I was without my NES for a year. I learned that stupid angry decisions/actions can lead to long term consequences. I still can get pissed at some games but I just hit ESC and play later or do something else.

If adults still do this at a game they have a mental illness or emotional immaturity.

I do not sexually abuse my computer. It is a consensual relationship! :p

I don't think I've ever yelled or raged at an inanimate object. I mean, what's the point? It's not like a stern talking to is going to make it stand up and act right.

My PCs and I live in total harmony. We are friends. The one at work seems a bit allergic to the second video card but we get along great. No abuse here. (choke on that video card, bitch!!). Ahem, we get along great.

I've only yelled at pcs when they've had Win 95, ME, NT, Vista or 8 on them.
I've gotten along fabulously with 3.1, 98, 2000, XP and 7!
Seriously though...
I've dealt with more frustration from kids dumping lemonade on my mouse and keyboard or having to restore because they loaded 100+ viruses on my pc at a flash based gaming site than actual frustration at the pc or OS (Except for Vista and 8, more times Vista than 8 and still most of those were caused by the kids).

Iv never abused my computer/monitors/keyboard or mice... They cost to much, i usually find something laying around that's cheap and take my anger out on it.. Thats smart thinking if you ask me :D

I have abused electronic devices. I threw a cordless phone against a brick wall. I snapped a calculator in half because of a tax calculation that I didn't like.
But my babies. My PCs never get more than a scolding about their behavior. ...and it is never really their fault. It is always windoes, bad drivers or incompatible anything.....
I love my babies.

As a bachelor, the only abuse my machine gets is from whatever food splashes onto the keyboard while I'm eating. The milk spill was the worst, but surprisingly doesn't smell (and I got the keys unstuck). The only computer box I've ever physically abused was the work provided one that was slower than shit and could only be replaced if it broke of its own accord.

I enjoy yelling at my PC now and then. I think my PC likes to be acknowledged as a conscious entity.

The only computer box I've ever physically abused was the work provided one that was slower than shit and could only be replaced if it broke of its own accord.

I tried to destroy my work computer for two years in the hopes that they would finally give me something that wasn't mind numbingly slow. They just kept fixing the fucking thing.

My computer doesn't misbehave. I hasn't misbehaved since Windows 7 was released with the exception of a flickering screen issue with the Radeon HD 6850, but that was certainly nothing to rage over since I rarely reboot.

However, I sometimes say "You fucker..." to the invisible force that makes me accidentally click on the wrong quicklaunch icon from time to time.

Computer problems don't make me angry, it's the computer games that make me want to throw a large hard object at the screen. So far I've managed to control myself.

One reason I quit doing PC support years ago was I found the vast majority of computer users were for the most part computer illiterate. These people NEVER bother to really learn anything about computers. And these were always the most problem.
They knew how to open and use a couple apps; and that was about it.
If one of their icons disappears from their desktop; that was it; the computer was broken; out of business. For customers like this it was a never ending complaint and whine fest of problems they caused themselves.
The end was the ones that complained I messed up their PC. The problem was I added some anti-spyware software and it blocked a bunch of "coupon buddy" type web sites. :rolleyes:

I sometimes ominously threaten hardware when it misbehaves. It then tends to cooperate. It's an interesting phenomenon.

I usually just abuse my keyboard/mouse. My Keyboard already has a few keys that are loose, but I usually think for a second before I throw/hit anything near my PC, usually I decide it's better to just let it go rather than spend money on the stuff I break :p

I don't get pissed at my computer because it doesn't read my mind. I get pissed at it because it uses Microsoft software that gets worse every generation, all of which are full of bugs that MS never fixes.

(Yes, I'll be leaving Windows in the home environment soon enough.)

Yeah, my sound wasn't outputting correctly. It hit me the wrong way on a already bad day. The keyboard took the brunt of it, it now has no rear kickstands or wrist rest. . . LOL

I have broken many a keyboard and mouse. Hell, i've punched my monitor many times (back in the CRT days). FPS's can be so frustrating sometimes!

But i have grown out of that habit, but it's not unusual to take out your frustrations on a piece of inanimate gear. Beats finding the little cheating cocksucker who keeps cheap shotting you and beating HIM to death! :D

I used to cringe whenever a user brought in a computer or laptop they had raged on, funny as hell when they bring in a PC they had obviously thrown out of the second story window, or down the stairs, the case is almost a V shape, they don't even bother asking if you can fix it, but make an insurance quote for cost of damage...and when you open the case the only thing that is wrong, is the ATX 24 pin is slightly disconnected, and as soon as that had been corrected it fires up like a champ.

Me: "Hello sir, I...".

Insurance claiming douche: "What is it going to cost to replace it?".

Me: "well besides the cost of a new case, nothing, it fired right up when I plugged a loose connector in".

Insurance claiming douche: "Oh..........I'll pick it up then".

Probably to throw it down the stairs/out the window again, and take it to someone else.

Back