Failed Kickstarter Board Game Resurrected

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The original designers of the cancelled Kickstarter game ‘The Doom That Came to Atlantic City’, have picked up the challenge and will continue on with the game's publishing and provide copies to the backers who lost their investments. Keith Baker and Lee Moyers of Cryptozoic have stepped up to rectify the bad situation left by Erik Chevalier and the Forking Path that left so many investors with nothing to show for their money.

I wonder if they can fix a bad impression about them that they have a market;)

This isn't something they needed to do, but they are doing it anyways... that's class. Now watch that douche Chevalier try to sue when they turn this shit-storm around and their new ventures start turning a profit :/

that's class.

Absolutely, really nice to see.
Whenever something like that happens it brings out the worst in everyone claiming kick starter is trash & simply a "tool for the rich".
Not my kind of game, but if this happened to say, Star Citizen I'd hope someone kept funding it.

Are these the guys who sued the first guy?

Why wont these new guys run into the same legal trouble?

Failed once and they're still trying to do it again? That's like opening a restaurant in the same building that had four other restaurants before it go out of business. Yeah, this is a good thing for the people that put in Kickstarter money, but they should have known better from the beginning that Kickstarter is just a way to get money from people under the guise of a project in order to go on vacation. There's no accountability.

Personally I think he's committed fraud and should be brought on charges. Using investor money for personal purposes is fraudulent. This guy better come clean with financial records.

This isn't something they needed to do, but they are doing it anyways... that's class. Now watch that douche Chevalier try to sue when they turn this shit-storm around and their new ventures start turning a profit :/

Its not if he will do it, its WHEN will he turn around and sue them, its a guarantee he will be a douchebag.

Personally I think he's committed fraud and should be brought on charges. Using investor money for personal purposes is fraudulent. This guy better come clean with financial records.

You mean like paying himself a salary? The guy wasn't competent enough to complete the task of getting the game published, which he has now admitted. But a lack of competence and thinking you can do more than you can isn't criminal. Most start-ups fail.

It is extremely unlikely that the state attorney will file any charges. Civil cases will just force him, or at least the his company if he incorporated, into bankruptcy where creditors can get in line to receive their share of nothing and likely ruin even the remote chance that he will refund any of the investments.

Investments have risks. It sucks. But after venting some frustrations it's better to move on than to try punishing a guy who will be suffering the consequences of his failure for years to come anyway. Besides since most have invested relatively little they run the risk of spending more on heartburn medicine than they would get refunded.

A few corrections:

Keith Baker and Lee Moyers are the board game creator and artist, they have no direct connection with Cryptozoic.

Keith and Lee were the ones who created the board game, then licensed it to the Kickstarter-creator, thinking the Kickstarter guy would get the game in to production, then Keith and Lee would start getting royalty payments. They had no direct connection with the Kickstarter campaign, other than having licensed the game to the Kickstarter creator. (They did perform some extra work to resolve legal issues surrounding the game that were brought up during the Kickstarter campaign, and the artist did appear in the Kickstarter video - both were done without immediate compensation as an effort to make sure the Kickstarter-driven production would happen.)

The Kickstarter failed - possibly due to fraud, possibly due to naive mismanagement.

Cryptozoic (led by Scott Gaeta) announced that they had licensed the game, and will put it in production. This means Keith and Lee will get paid once it starts selling.

Cryptozoic also, in an amazing gesture, said that they will fulfill the Kickstarter preorders, even though they didn't see a dime of Kickstarter money.

Also of note: I have no connection to anyone involved - I am a Kickstarter backer who has been following the drama, and looking forward to getting my copy.

You mean like paying himself a salary? The guy wasn't competent enough to complete the task of getting the game published, which he has now admitted. But a lack of competence and thinking you can do more than you can isn't criminal. Most start-ups fail.

It is extremely unlikely that the state attorney will file any charges. Civil cases will just force him, or at least the his company if he incorporated, into bankruptcy where creditors can get in line to receive their share of nothing and likely ruin even the remote chance that he will refund any of the investments.

Investments have risks. It sucks. But after venting some frustrations it's better to move on than to try punishing a guy who will be suffering the consequences of his failure for years to come anyway. Besides since most have invested relatively little they run the risk of spending more on heartburn medicine than they would get refunded.

Um.. Phantom game console anyone? No.. the reason why shit like this keeps happening is specifically BECAUSE people vent their spleen, stew about it, then move on with their lives. Ass-clowns that have learned the 'reward' of mismanagement of a project FAR outweigh the grief and shame that comes with the aftermath. These magnificent fucktards happily move on with their lives, and on to bigger and better clusterfucks, leaving everyone else to try and pick up the pieces.

The investors on this NEED to climb up this guys ass and explode... it's the only way copycats and get-rich-quick predators will take notice, and MAYBE... think twice.

The guy made more than 3x what he requested for the kickstarter and instead of using the money for the board game, he used it to move state and try and set up his own business. That's not incompetence, that's pure stupidity. People paid for a game, not for a lifestyle change for this guy and certainly not for him to fund his own startup.

From what I understand and read he did more than that and using investor money for personal use has been found criminal in some cases. He should submit all documentation of where the funds where used.

Failed once and they're still trying to do it again? That's like opening a restaurant in the same building that had four other restaurants before it go out of business. Yeah, this is a good thing for the people that put in Kickstarter money, but they should have known better from the beginning that Kickstarter is just a way to get money from people under the guise of a project in order to go on vacation. There's no accountability.

This and the fact that the game is called "The Doom That Came to Atlantic City." Holy shit is that an awful title. Also, no one plays board games anymore. Even elderly people I know who would be into board games have iPads these days. This project sounds awful on a very fundamental level.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are more D&D players in the world than there are WoW subs. I'd say people still play tabletop games.

This and the fact that the game is called "The Doom That Came to Atlantic City." Holy shit is that an awful title. Also, no one plays board games anymore. Even elderly people I know who would be into board games have iPads these days. This project sounds awful on a very fundamental level.

There are more board gamers than you think. www.boardgamegeek.com is one of the largest communities for the hobby and has over 100k active users (myself included). :D

Back