A Day In The Life Of An eBay Now Deliveryman

Am I the only person who feels like shit when he has something trivial delivered to them?

Hurray, another industry where you're a douchebag if you don't give a tip... even though you are paying a premium to get it delivered.

And yes I'm a cheapass :p

Hurray, another industry where you're a douchebag if you don't give a tip... even though you are paying a premium to get it delivered.

It's a same day courier service. You give gratuity for expedites, typically.

I'll second all of this.

Note: I refuse to use eBay or PayPal, and similarly never order delivery pizza/food.

agreed...you are paying extra for the rush delivery...hell no with an extra tip on top of that

With Steve's opening comment I expected at least one condom related comment the effect of "You want a tip, I'll give you a tip...bend over!". I must say, I'm sadly disappointed. :p

Though I do understand Skripka's sentiments about pizza delivery. Though I do tip them, in my mind I'm thinking that they're getting paid their hourly wage during the delivery AND they get to write of mileage as an expense, so in reality, they're making a killing (probably makes more than I do since disability pays a pittance). I had one guy piss me off when he got offended at the tip I gave, and it wasn't even that far for him to deliver the pizza. It's like tipping at a buffet, Why should I tip when I had to go get the food myself?

What's even more annoying is people who expect you to tip for going in and picking up a takeout order. Why? You didn't do anything but hand me the order over the counter.

Speaking as a pizza delivery drivers, yes we do get a hourly wage, mileage per delivery, and write mileage off on taxes. But it's as lucrative as you think. An average night I'll drive ~100 miles, make 25-30 delivers. That alone is a ton of wear and tear on my car. I drive a little 4 banger honda, decent gas mileage, about 3 nights of just work with a single tank of gas. But with gas where it's at that about 2 nights worth of mileage money. Not to mention delivering in shitty weather, snowstorm, rain, and the heat.

Speaking as a pizza delivery drivers, yes we do get a hourly wage, mileage per delivery, and write mileage off on taxes. But it's as lucrative as you think. An average night I'll drive ~100 miles, make 25-30 delivers. That alone is a ton of wear and tear on my car. I drive a little 4 banger honda, decent gas mileage, about 3 nights of just work with a single tank of gas. But with gas where it's at that about 2 nights worth of mileage money. Not to mention delivering in shitty weather, snowstorm, rain, and the heat.
:O
I worked on and off for Pizza Hut for ~5 years, and I was never allowed to do this.

I was never allowed to do this.

If you are referring to writing mileage off, most people don't where I work. But I keep detailed records of miles driven for work. Asked an accountant friend of mine first year I worked he said there was no issue.

I'll second all of this.

Note: I refuse to use eBay or PayPal, and similarly never order delivery pizza/food.

although in some metropolitan area there are lots of choices for good service, in some small town delivery is actually the best option. i mean i prefer to go and pick up my food but some times it costs more to go and pick it up (time/burning fuel wise) than have someone deliver it for me/to me and than give them tip.

If you are referring to writing mileage off, most people don't where I work. But I keep detailed records of miles driven for work. Asked an accountant friend of mine first year I worked he said there was no issue.

In California, if you are receiving mileage compensation from your employer, you are not legally allowed to deduct mileage from your income taxes. The employer is deducting the employee's mileage compensation as a business expense, so both the employer and employee receiving deductions for the same expense would be double-dipping.

The law might be different where you are, but I doubt it-- most governments are loathe to give up their pound of flesh.

I heard somewhere the delivery fee goes straight back to the company to cover insurance, at least for pizza delivery. Any truth to that?

I heard somewhere the delivery fee goes straight back to the company to cover insurance, at least for pizza delivery. Any truth to that?

That maybe true I don't know. Most of the time delivery fees are used to keep the menu prices stable.

Doesn't matter where the fees go, at the end of the day if anyone tells you X or Y and you believe it people will start abusing it to make money. I know lots of waitresses that made hardly anything, but then again I knew others that made more money in 1 Saturday night then other people made in 2 weeks. The difference was nothing more than the venue they worked at and if the manager would give them hours during weekends etc....

You just make decisions based on the total cost of product, if the tip is killing the value then shop elsewhere. This is why some places will tell you they do not accept tips.

Back