Apple Sued Over Mandatory Employee Bag Checks

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple lines up its employees to search them before leaving work every day and all anyone is concerned about is not being paid while they are treated like criminals? :eek:

Two former workers from Apple stores in New York and Los Angeles filed a complaint in San Francisco federal court on Thursday regarding this policy. These employees claim that they had to stand in lines up to 30 minutes long every day for store managers to check their bags and ensure they weren't smuggling home stolen goods.

If it is that big a deal they should just buy a small x-ray machine (for the bags, not the workers ;) ) and use a metal detector on the workers ... that is what most overseas factories do where there is a risk of theft ... the workers do have a valid complaint if this screening is occurring on their own time ... most companies that require screening do the screening before the employees punch out ... the only exception I have ever seen was in the Philippines where they searched your bags before you entered the building (but they were looking for bombs or weapons) :eek:

When I was working for Circuit City, if you had a bag it had to be checked before you left. A couple people had been caught stealing, so I guess they just thought it was best to assume everyone was.

So, if you work for a big company, and let's say it takes you 15 minutes a day each way to get into the parking lot and out to go home; you'd like to be compensated for that too?

How about the hour early (or more) you have to get up to get ready for work?

Commute?

Fuck these idiots. They know the rules. They get searched. Tough shit. Quit.

So you want to get paid while waiting for security to check and make sure you don't rip off your employer? hehehe, that's funny.:eek:

So, if you work for a big company, and let's say it takes you 15 minutes a day each way to get into the parking lot and out to go home; you'd like to be compensated for that too?

Commute?

So you want to get paid while waiting for security to check and make sure you don't rip off your employer? hehehe, that's funny.:eek:

If we're talking 5 minutes its no big deal but if you have to wait in line for up to 30 minutes to walk out of the building that is a bit ridiculous. I worked at UPS 15 years ago and we had to go through a security checkpoint and even on a day when a large group of us left at the same time it never took more than 5 minutes then again bags were not allowed inside the building and had to be place in a locker before you walked in.

Commute?

You might be OK with being treated like a criminal, but most people won't allow people to treat them that way.

I've worked in a place where they search you, I quit immediately.

I'd rather go make near minimum wage somewhere else. I'm sure the Apple employees are making close to minimum wage.

If we're talking 5 minutes its no big deal but if you have to wait in line for up to 30 minutes to walk out of the building that is a bit ridiculous. I worked at UPS 15 years ago and we had to go through a security checkpoint and even on a day when a large group of us left at the same time it never took more than 5 minutes then again bags were not allowed inside the building and had to be place in a locker before you walked in.

I certainly can sympathize, I guess.

But SUE the company, is your only recourse?
So, you can't talk to them about a solution, like the lockers you mention?
Or installing monitoring equipment?

No........SUE them. Bullshit. The plantiff will get a voucher, the lawyers will get millions if successful, which I wager they'll fail.

You might be OK with being treated like a criminal, but most people won't allow people to treat them that way.

I've worked in a place where they search you, I quit immediately.

I'd rather go make near minimum wage somewhere else. I'm sure the Apple employees are making close to minimum wage.

I worked in a place where you got searched in and out, too.
It was part of the job, we knew it before we started.
It wasn't personal.
I got paid to do a job. I accepted the employer's rules. Simple.

Your solution is acceptable, too. don't like it, quit.

I would just love being treated like a criminal every day at work!
They have to do this, as otherwise they will get sued for racial profiling and the like if they only search the suspicious employees.

Its the same reason you are searched at the airport, even a 70 year old grandma from Kansas traveling with her two daughters, rather than just the high-profile obvious targets like a 19 year old muslim kid on a visa with a one way trip.

And they NEED to search employees, because I've worked with security before in retail, and its estimated that 60-70% of all store thefts are actually the employees and not the customers.

And the reason is not that EVERY employee steals, but that when one out of fifty employees steals, they can do it in larger quantities and repeatedly day after day amounting to tremenous losses.

So Apple should receive no dings for this.

nobody made them work @ crapple. If the job has shitty policy, go find a new place to work.

Commute?

That is all different. They should get paid as they are still doing work stuff. I don't care why they are being checked. You are not allowed to leave, you are still doing a process for your work. that is working. if you get an hour lunch, but then have to wait 30 minutes for a security check. guess what, you aren't actually getting one hour for your lunch. you are getting 30 minutes of stand in line time for your security check, then 30 minutes to go find some food, eat and get back.

What is funny is that you assume that they are all ripping off their employer and that this process is their own fault. IF your employer thinks that any type of check of that scale is valid and needed then that should be factored into your pay. Valid reasoning or not, They are forcing you to do this.

My sister works in a kitchen at a nursing home. Any injury there requires a drug test. So you get burned taking a pan out of the oven, trip to the hospital for a drug test. Since they force her to go get the drug test, wait at the hospital an hour to get seen and then get back to work when it comes back clean should she expect to not get paid for that time since she isn't there in the kitchen doing her job? Same concept, she is doing something to cover the ass of the company.

Zero sympathy.

Don't like the rules? Quit and find another job. I have worked plenty of jobs that had high security and I wasn't getting paid while going through security. Sorry but I see this getting thrown out. This isn't exclusive to Apple. This is also why American jobs are disappearing overseas, we are to damn entitled and largely overpaid for what they do.

My sister works in a kitchen at a nursing home. Any injury there requires a drug test. So you get burned taking a pan out of the oven, trip to the hospital for a drug test. Since they force her to go get the drug test, wait at the hospital an hour to get seen and then get back to work when it comes back clean should she expect to not get paid for that time since she isn't there in the kitchen doing her job? Same concept, she is doing something to cover the ass of the company.

That's why the vast majority of companies requiring drug testing for full time employees will let them do it on the clock.

Commute?

This is obscene. These are hourly workers being held up by management within the work premises, daily, without pay. They are not salaried. They are not compensated. They are not in their personal vehicles making a commute.

Yeah sadly there is no law that prohibits this.

The only way that they will send a message is if people start quitting.

Commute?

This is a difference between what it takes for you to get somewhere vs what is mandated by an employer. If they mandated that you spend 15 minutes standing around in the parking lot after you have parked, then yes I'd expect to be paid. If I live 2 hours from my job by choice, sure that's on me. If my job mandates that I drive 2 hours yes I'd expect to get paid, since it's part of my job. If my employer mandates that I spend 30+ minutes standing around after my duties are done, I also expect to get paid.

I had a job when you arrived and left you were required to change into and out of protective clothing, we were on the clock at that point. We were not allowed to do that on our own time at our homes. I expected to be paid, it was a mandated part of my job that I was required to do on location.

These people feel that Apple is in violation of the law, the court of law is a proper place to address this.

Yeah sadly there is no law that prohibits this.

The only way that they will send a message is if people start quitting.
In which case they will be replaced by a hundred people standing in line for those same jobs.

I guess these people have never worked retail in their life till now.

This was standard procedure at practically every retail job I had.

People are mandatorily drug tested at certain jobs. That's way more invasive. Buncha babies.

That's why the vast majority of companies requiring drug testing for full time employees will let them do it on the clock.

In many places it's actually required to be done on the clock by law.

It's quite simple really... if you're paid by the hour, and you're doing something for your job, they damn well better be paying you for it.

I made this quite clear at a job I had a few years back... don't fucking try to talk to me about work before I clock in, and if you call me, at home, on my time off and want to ask questions about work related shit, you damn well better be clocking me in for an hour, as was required by law, or fuck all if I'm speaking to you.

And it was the same thing there with breaks and lunches... Management often tried to get us to work through them (or delay them and then send us home late, all while cutting us early at the end of the week to avoid overtime) but when my two hours was up and it was time for my legally required break, I took it and there was jack shit they could say about it because they knew they were in the wrong and a simple call to corporate and the Dept of Labor could get them in trouble.

Companies love nothing more than to try to ignore labor laws and take advantage of their employees, but they can only do it if you let them.

I have no problems with the search process being mandatory. Lots of companies search their employees bags before they exit the premises. Target distribution makes you carry a clear bag/purse that they can see into. However, if the search is holding up the employees from leaving for more than a couple minutes, they should be getting paid for it. 15 or 30 minutes doesn't seem like a lot, but it adds up over 10 or 15 years. Hell, some parents would kill to have 15 or 30 extra minutes of time in their day.

When I was a ramp supervisor at DHL we were checked in and out through security (for obvious reasons: package handling and working directly with aircraft). But they staggered start/quit times so you sped right through. Not really feasible with retail.

I certainly can sympathize, I guess.

But SUE the company, is your only recourse?
So, you can't talk to them about a solution, like the lockers you mention?
Or installing monitoring equipment?

No........SUE them. Bullshit. The plantiff will get a voucher, the lawyers will get millions if successful, which I wager they'll fail.

How do you know they didn't talk to the company and were ignored? Though I do tend to agree with you, people should find a proper channel first and sue if ignored.

Yet this day and age with the STFU attitude, you agreed to work there blah blah blah attitude opens up the opposite. We should STFU about being polite because the company agreed to do business in a state/country that allows civil suits so everyone should STFU because it is allowed.

It's quite simple really... if you're paid by the hour, and you're doing something for your job, they damn well better be paying you for it.

I made this quite clear at a job I had a few years back... don't fucking try to talk to me about work before I clock in, and if you call me, at home, on my time off and want to ask questions about work related shit, you damn well better be clocking me in for an hour, as was required by law, or fuck all if I'm speaking to you.

And it was the same thing there with breaks and lunches... Management often tried to get us to work through them (or delay them and then send us home late, all while cutting us early at the end of the week to avoid overtime) but when my two hours was up and it was time for my legally required break, I took it and there was jack shit they could say about it because they knew they were in the wrong and a simple call to corporate and the Dept of Labor could get them in trouble.

Companies love nothing more than to try to ignore labor laws and take advantage of their employees, but they can only do it if you let them.

Let me guess, you don't work any one place for very long do you? lol!

That is all different. They should get paid as they are still doing work stuff. I don't care why they are being checked.

Nothing against your sister, but if you have an accident at work, and there are policies in place, well......that's about all you need to say.
Why should the workplace pay her for getting injured?
They pay for the hospital evaluation, right? They aren't covering their ass, they are treating her injury and at the same time looking for causation. I'm sure her employer has had this happen more than once, therefore the mandatory drug testing.

Again, if you are standing in line at the end of the day, you ain't working, therefore should not get paid.

Which is the point I was trying to make. That is done on the clock and so should this Apple security check.

People are mandatorily drug tested at certain jobs. That's way more invasive. Buncha babies.

The issue the people haven't isn't the security check. It is being forced to go through an hour of them a day (2 checks per day, up to 30 minutes per check) and not getting paid for them. As pointed out above, most drug testing is done on the clock.

Remind me to never hire you. You're just the kind of guy I let go all the time for thinking you're above everything and have zero ability to adapt or be flexible.

Nothing against your sister, but if you have an accident at work, and there are policies in place, well......that's about all you need to say.
They pay for the hospital evaluation, right? They aren't covering their ass, they are treating her injury and at the same time looking for causation. I'm sure her employer has had this happen more than once, therefore the mandatory drug testing.

Again, if you are standing in line at the end of the day, you ain't working, therefore should not get paid.

Did you read his post... he never said anything about getting paid for injury treatment. He said she should be paid to go to the hospital for the drug test that is required when an injury/report occurs.

This is a company policy requiring a drug test. The company should be paying both for the test and the time it takes to get the test completed.

No, getting a drug test doesn't treat a burn. Or maybe you aren't sure how medical treatment works. Pissing in a cup won't do anything for a burn.

They do this at Best Buy where I work and also at American Eagle where my gf works. Difference is that the checks they do take all of 1 minute. If I was being held up for 30 minutes then I would damn well expect to compensated for wasting my time because management is incompetent.

Did you read his post... he never said anything about getting paid for injury treatment. He said she should be paid to go to the hospital for the drug test that is required when an injury/report occurs.

This is a company policy requiring a drug test. The company should be paying both for the test and the time it takes to get the test completed.

I think he read it. He is also saying that she shouldn't get paid for that either as that while mandatory she isn't in the kitchen at that time therefore she shouldn't get paid. I am starting to think he is management at Apple :)

Remind me to never hire you. You're just the kind of guy I let go all the time for thinking you're above everything and have zero ability to adapt or be flexible.

Yeah in a reasonable world you are right... Just as most would agree a 5min wait/check doesn't really warrant specific compensation, when the company abuses this to 30min you do have to be a dick about it though. Cause in some cases the company doesn't really care and tries to get away with everything.

This.

Talk to anyone who has worked loss prevention in a large retail establishment and they'll all tell you the same thing - employees are at the top of the list of thieves that they have to deal with.

With all the horror stories from Apple store employees that have been on the [H] news feed, I'm actually glad they started searching them. Reap what you sow.

These Apple employees are perhaps 5000 years too late. That's when workers started to be checked when leaving mines.

I don't see any issue with the mandatory search. It's a condition of employment. Don't like it, get another job.

Pretty sure the only way you could make it mandatory is to be paying the employees for their time. 'Cuz if I'm not on the clock, you can bet your sorry ass I'm not sticking around for a half hour to wait to be searched.

Commute?

Stupid comment. If an employer compels employees to stay on the premises for work related duty, they have to pay. This has been established forever.

Comparing it to big parking lots or brushing your teeth at home is asinine.

No, getting a drug test doesn't treat a burn. Or maybe you aren't sure how medical treatment works. Pissing in a cup won't do anything for a burn.

That isn't what I said and not what the post said.
The guy said IF someone has an accident at that job, they not only get treatment but drug-screened.
I think that's acceptable, and no they shouldn't get paid while they are in the ER getting treatment from their burn.
I fully understand medical treatment.

I think he read it. He is also saying that she shouldn't get paid for that either as that while mandatory she isn't in the kitchen at that time therefore she shouldn't get paid. I am starting to think he is management at Apple :)

I don't work for Apple.
I don't own any Apple items.
I am a private business owner and have to put up with this kind of bullshit all the time.
My attitude and the attitude of my business is......we tell you how things are, if you do not like our reality, don't apply.

Yup. We drug test every one of our employees before they start. We don't pay them to get the testing done. They anticipate getting paid for work once they are hired.

And yes, I fire people like the guy who was bitching about working on his lunch hour. We are a small business and the people here realize, if we don't make money....no one gets paid.

Half an hour is a bit much. They need a more efficient way of doing it. I don't care that they do it, as it's a fairly common practice. It's just 30 minutes to get it done? No way. I've always just done the open the bag and they glance in while walking by, not a thorough bag search. Easy peasy.

Back