Chromecast - Netflix Promo Cancelled After One Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember that "three free months of Netflix" offer with the purchase of Google's $35 Chromecast device? Yeah, that only lasted one day.

"Due to overwhelming demand for Chromecast devices since launch, the 3-month Netflix promotion (which was available in limited quantities) is no longer available," Google told The Times in a statement.

Still doesn't change my mind... 35 bucks is too good of a price to not buy this and give it a shot.

I went and picked up 2 today at best buy, got my codes for netflix before I walked out the door.

For those of you that are too lazy to read the short article but want to comment anyway...

If you got in on the promotion already then the 3 months of Netflix still applies
They are just not offering it going forward.

If you ordered from Amazon and haven't received your Netflix code yet, it may be time to contact their customer support.

I don't think Amazon is going to be honoring the 3 Months free of Netflix after the response I just got from one of their CR's. Their phone support is absolutely atrocious and I'm so tired of talking to people in India with scripted responses. When you get someone who is actually in America it's like hitting the lottery.

That blows.

Not that it breaks the bank, but with all the other devices I have, it wasn't a necessity. Everything I would use it for, I already have means to with my TV. With the netflix deal, it was an $11 purchase. Now I'd rather drop the coin on something else like a game or a book.

I ordered mine before the event demo even ended right from the Google store so hopefully I still get it.

I ordered mine before the event demo even ended right from the Google store so hopefully I still get it.

I got one from google too, it shipped today and I got the code, I am surprised you didn't already get yours...

It lasted about as long as the supply of Chromecasts did... Completely sold out at Amazon and Best Buy. Ordering from Google has a 3-4 week wait before shipping.

I just bought this from Best Buy and am picking it up tomorrow. The Netflix promo was included in the cart so hopefully I get it. If not, that blows. I was totally justifying the purchase with those free months lol.

I just bought this from Best Buy and am picking it up tomorrow. The Netflix promo was included in the cart so hopefully I get it. If not, that blows. I was totally justifying the purchase with those free months lol.

My guess is Best Buy's stock was allocated for the promo, you should be fine.

The promo should have been for three free movies on Google Play.

Because of the shortfall looks like the units are already selling for up to $300 on ebay ... why someone wouldn't just buy a Roku for a third that price escapes me but go team capitalism and go team stupid ebay consumers :D

Because of the shortfall looks like the units are already selling for up to $300 on ebay ... why someone wouldn't just buy a Roku for a third that price escapes me but go team capitalism and go team stupid ebay consumers :D

Mine is going to be here today. I could care less about the Netflix promo since I already have an account. If people are paying $300 for this on Ebay, I will happily not open mine and sell it to someone if they want it that bad. Hell, I will let them have it a bargain of $150. :D

Their phone support is absolutely atrocious and I'm so tired of talking to people in India with scripted responses. When you get someone who is actually in America it's like hitting the lottery.
Thank you please kindly sir for contacting Amazon with your concern. My name is Christopher and I will be gladly helping you this wonderful day. What operating system are you running sir? *shakes head side to side*

Bought mine from Best Buy at 9:30 PM on the 25th. I got my promo right after they rang it up.

Not sure why people have such a hate for Amazon's customer service. I've used them a few times in the past year and they've by far been the best company to deal with when it comes to returns/refunds and lost packages.

Sucks about the Netflix thing though, I didn't know it came with three free months, I would have went ahead and got it then.

I could care less about the Netflix promo since I already have an account.

The code is (was) supposedly good for existing netflix customers, too. That is what attracted me to it.

Not that $35 isn't a great deal for a netflix player, especially when it does all the extra stuff that chromecast does. Well worth $35. But at $11, that's a HOT deal for a new toy to play around with and add to the pile of media players in my closet.

The code is (was) supposedly good for existing netflix customers, too. That is what attracted me to it.

Not that $35 isn't a great deal for a netflix player, especially when it does all the extra stuff that chromecast does. Well worth $35. But at $11, that's a HOT deal for a new toy to play around with and add to the pile of media players in my closet.

Andes my code to my Netflix account so with that discount the device was $17.94 pretty awesome deal.

Too bad on the Netflix thing. I don't really need one of these devices since my BluRay player has a Youtube app on it that allows remote play from my phone already but I wouldn't mind trying one of these out for the web browser functionality from my Surface Pro. Too bad it's not available in Canada. I guess they are just testing the waters with this product.

I got mine last week. I have not had time to play with it that much. I have used the Chrome extension on my Surface Pro. It works fairly well. There is a slight lag between any action performed in the web browser, but there is no lag in audio or video that I tried.
I used Netflix with my phone just to see if it worked. It did just fine and looked ok as well.
Youtube seemed to work just as easy.
If you already have a Roku, Boxee, Apple TV, this does not bring a whole lot that those devices do not have unless you are interested in the ability to stream a Chrome web browser. That is the main reason I purchased mine. For $35, I think it is a handy little device that I may use now and then.

If you manage to find one at Best Buy, you still get the Netflix codes. I bought 2 today and got 2 codes (one for me, one for my dad).

Back