Xbox One Demand "Through The Roof", Could Outship PS4 3-to-1

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Xbox One could outship the PS4 by a margin of 3 to 1? Uh oh, them there is fighting words!

A couple of reports from diverse sources are pointing towards sales really taking off for Microsoft's next-gen Xbox One console. Firstly GamesIndustryBiz reports that a market analyst says that his "supply chain checks" suggest the Xbox One will have a "2-3x unit advantage at launch". Secondly Microsoft's Aaron Greenberg tweeted that Gamestop has had to cease pre-orders of the Xbox One because "Demand was through the roof", the company has since implemented a first-to-know availability bulletin.

Yup you have to remember the majority of people don't have a clue about the hardware or how the system will work with online and purchased games. If they did they would not buy a xbox one.

I don't beleve it. Not with all the contraversy over crap gpu specs, not much memory, and a much higher price.

Yup you have to remember the majority of people don't have a clue about the hardware or how the system will work with online and purchased games. If they did they would not buy a xbox one.

Maybe people aren't buying the Xbox ONE based on specs alone. If I made my purchase based off specs alone I wouldn't buy a console at all.

Also no one knows except those who are working on either console know how the system will work. Most people who pre-order do it based off brand loyalty and exclusives.

Maybe it is a hype machine, like the previous post mentions, how is it any different than the machine Sony has been running. OK for one company to hype but not the other. Do as I say not as I do?

Good for Microsoft if this is true, either way, at least there is a demand for both.

I don't beleve it. Not with all the contraversy over crap gpu specs, not much memory, and a much higher price.

I'm actually pretty sure that after Microsoft did their 180, a lot of people decided to pre-order it who otherwise would not have.

I'm sure most are buying because they had a 360. I'll wait to see which has a more comfortable controller, myself (I'm betting on the One).

Disclaimer: I had both 360 and PS3 (also a wii, for that matter), and I sold the 360 and kept the PS3. I didn't play that many console games, and the PS3 had better media functionality (blu-ray and streaming).

I kinda wish I'd kept the 360, because Dual Shock controllers always have and always will be uncomfortable as fuck compared to the 360 controller.

This must be microsoft sponsored. Either they payed for the information to be reported as such or they're doing something else.

And the fact the Xbox One has a 2-3x the supply at launch doesn't mean anything. They could be saving them as promo units at wallmarts and targets, never meant to be sold but they need the supply so they can advertise it.

The people pre-ordering new systems on lauch day DO tend to follow the news.
I have a few friends doing it. They have a normal always-on internet and liked the 360 better than the PS3. Simple as that.

Outship doesn't mean out sell. Even if they ship 2 to 3x more units to retailers, I see both systems selling around the same this holiday season. Though X1 will probably do better in the US.

Microsoft is a software and online services company.
Sony is an insurance company. Formerly an electronics company.

That is the only thing that matters to me so make mine an Xbone :D

I think a lot of people have misread just how popular an all-in-one set top box that not only games but ads TV and social media to the mix really is. If Microsoft is going to have 2 to 3 times the number of units for sale at launch as the PS4, that's huge. Tech folks love to get caught up in all of these controversies but around the holidays if the PS4 is out of stock and there's an Xbone for sale and a parent or someone trying to get a gift for Christmas, guess what many are going to do. $100 to have something in hand for Christmas Day isn't a big deal for many.

How many Surface RT's did Microsoft make and are sitting on shelves, unsold? How many "copies" of Windows 8 were sold (100 million?) (And then promptly wiped and had Win7 put on them?)

Microsoft has been doing propaganda so well, for so long, I don't believe anything said about them unless 6 months has gone by after the fact and the truth is verified from multiple sources.

The gears of Microsoft's hype-machine seem to be in good working order.

remember this is the same hype machine that keeps saying in denial all is will with the surface tablets and not to mention windows 8 when micro$oft just took a 900mil write-down for unsold surface inventory and 75% of the world takes windows 8 with a do i really have to approach....

How many Surface RT's did Microsoft make and are sitting on shelves, unsold?

That's the only way the Xbone is going to outsell the PS4. If MS is making too many. They could outsell the PS4, which will quickly sell out. That might look good during the holidays, but then they would end up with way to many latter on.

It's just like politics.

The majority of people buying/voting-for the system/candidate actually have no idea what they are getting in return.

Those of us who do know, can only collectively sigh... :eek:

Oh wait, I misread the article. It just says Microsoft will ship 2 - 3 times as many XBO as the PS4, not that they will sell.

Anytime I hear how a Microsoft product is going to outsell everyone else, and break records, I'm reminded of Windows 8 and Surface RT.

Anytime I hear how a Microsoft product is going to outsell everyone else, and break records, I'm reminded of Windows 8 and Surface RT.

Don't know why, because I don't think anyone ever expect Windows 8 or Windows RT do break any records. Though as far as desktops OSes go only Windows 7 has ever sold better than Windows 8 to this point.

Folks here forget that MS doesn't consider gamers the primary target for the Xbox One.

Gamers are old news.

The Xbox One is an entertainment console. It's not a games console.

An entertainment console will appeal to far more people than a hardcore gaming console.

As mentioned no one outside of the anal retentive Tech forums gives a damn about the specs. They just want all the fun sports, movies, media access...oh and maybe some gaming.

MS has done the research. Its looked at the usage stats of the 360 over the years and they know what folks are using the box for and I bet its very different to how it was back in 2006.

Even if the Xbox One only sells half as many as the PS4, MS will still be making far more on each box over it's lifetime than Sony will.

Another way to look at it is it's all very well Sony having a mass love in and bending over for the Gamers...

...but what are they doing for other 97% of the potential consumer market? I haven't heard zip.

the person who wrote this is well known for making these kind of claims and being wrong, I'm not sure why hard OCP even reports this kind of drivel. Becomingthe tabloid news of tech.

I kinda wish I'd kept the 360, because Dual Shock controllers always have and always will be uncomfortable as fuck compared to the 360 controller.

Maybe its just that I haven't used a 360 controller constantly but I personally prefer the PS controller. The 360 just seemed too big to me. This is an subjective preference obviously.

I really don't think it'll outsell the PS4 3 to 1. At best, they're likely to sell 1.25 times what the PS4 sells, but most likely they'll sell about 10 to 15% fewer consoles.

I love these threads, slightest shred of anything good for microsoft you get:

1) MS paid them
2) Win8 rabble rabble rabble
3) Its teh fanboyz!

So much anger towards them...

These estimates are always amusing. Gamestop of course loves the xb1 now that Microsoft has removed itself from the used-game business. Wonder what will happen though if Sony has double the number of estimated units on hand for a Christmas sell through? It looks like Microsoft is expecting Sony to sell out and so wants to cash in on the rebound effect--"I really wanted a PS4 but wound up with an xb1 because I couldn't get one." If any of this is actually true, Microsoft is looking to sell xbones any way it can, and you can't blame them for that. (I only blame the folks that buy it--because buy it, then bitch like crazy, they will. Microsoft has exhausted its supply of 180's, I'm sure.)

I'm thinking that after the Sony PS3 (great system, just took a while to get a good foothold as a gaming system and not just for Blu-ray), some gamers are wanting to wait to see how it does first. The Xbox currently holds the title for the best selling console (not portable) this generation. I think repeat customers are where most of these initial sales are coming from. Not so much system specs or if it does all the entertainment stuff. It's the brand name and past experiences with it. Same way a lot of us buy the same brand of car, or CPU processor, or video card manufacturer.

I have both pre-ordered, and the PS4 looks amazing. But, I can't say I'm disappointed in the Xbox One anymore (I did initially with always connected requirement). Kinect still bugs me, but it's not going to be a deal breaker. Right now, I'm looking at the games. I'm buying a game console, and I'm comparing those exclusives. Most of them I could care less about, though.

These estimates are always amusing. Gamestop of course loves the xb1 now that Microsoft has removed itself from the used-game business. Wonder what will happen though if Sony has double the number of estimated units on hand for a Christmas sell through? It looks like Microsoft is expecting Sony to sell out and so wants to cash in on the rebound effect--"I really wanted a PS4 but wound up with an xb1 because I couldn't get one." If any of this is actually true, Microsoft is looking to sell xbones any way it can, and you can't blame them for that. (I only blame the folks that buy it--because buy it, then bitch like crazy, they will. Microsoft has exhausted its supply of 180's, I'm sure.)

What are you talking about? Microsoft's used game system was free, and was available to "participating retailers" only. Gamestop probably loved that idea, since it would prevent just anyone from getting into the used game market, and would even restrict you from selling your own games to someone else privately. That would all lead to money in Gamestop's pocket.

1) MS paid them
3) Its teh fanboyz!

I think it's mostly people over 30, they still have a stick up their ass from getting BSOD back in the 90s or something. I myself never had a problem with Vista or Zune or those kinds of things either.

Most young people I work with have no problem with Microsoft and think that Windows 8, even if unpopular, is still pretty cool, and they absolutely adore Xbox and Halo.

Source: I work with a lot of 20-something engineers.

I'm thinking that after the Sony PS3 (great system, just took a while to get a good foothold as a gaming system and not just for Blu-ray), some gamers are wanting to wait to see how it does first. The Xbox currently holds the title for the best selling console (not portable) this generation. I think repeat customers are where most of these initial sales are coming from. Not so much system specs or if it does all the entertainment stuff. It's the brand name and past experiences with it. Same way a lot of us buy the same brand of car, or CPU processor, or video card manufacturer.

I have both pre-ordered, and the PS4 looks amazing. But, I can't say I'm disappointed in the Xbox One anymore (I did initially with always connected requirement). Kinect still bugs me, but it's not going to be a deal breaker. Right now, I'm looking at the games. I'm buying a game console, and I'm comparing those exclusives. Most of them I could care less about, though.

Xbox 360 holds the record of best selling console on a month to month basis in the US only, I'm afraid. The Wii outsold the Xbox 360 worldwide by around 20 million units, and worldwide the Xbox 360 hasn't been outselling the PS3.

I think Steve is to blame , he posts this so he does not have to fallback on what happened 10 years ago ;)

Oh wait, I misread the article. It just says Microsoft will ship 2 - 3 times as many XBO as the PS4, not that they will sell.

Yes shipping and selling are two different things. But what it may do is if the PS4 is sold out and theres still plenty of Xbox ones in stock. It could sway many buyers into getting an xbox one over a PS4 because of availability.

I think it's mostly people over 30, they still have a stick up their ass from getting BSOD back in the 90s or something. I myself never had a problem with Vista or Zune or those kinds of things either.

Most young people I work with have no problem with Microsoft and think that Windows 8, even if unpopular, is still pretty cool, and they absolutely adore Xbox and Halo.

Source: I work with a lot of 20-something engineers.

I'm 42 and I have to say on the whole everything MS has churned out since1992 has worked pretty well for me. If there has been an issue I've been able to sort them out fairly quickly. I just see stuff as a challenge rather than just expecting it all to work and throwing a hissy fit if something crashes...once.

As for the 360? Well I won mine as a prize in 2006 so that was nice. Other than the pretty painless returns experience in 2008 for the RROD (it packed up two days before I went away for a 2 week vacation so I was only down about 24 hours) its been a pretty solid experience.

Currently the Xbox One offers more for me, entertainment wise than a PS4. So chances are thats the one I'll get.

However, I won't be getting one for at least a year after release when hopefully it will have dropped in price by a significant amount.

Once I can get a Xbox1 for under $300 I might pick one up for its media/entertainment possibilities. I really only game on the PC and other than the wii I haven't had a console since the PS1.

sony just reported the PS4 is outselling the xbox 99 ^ e35 to 1

1) MS paid them
3) Its teh fanboyz!

Yes but what evidence do they have to go on? As far as I see it, the internet has called PS4 the winner, by a large margin. Maybe the Xbox One will outsell PS4 in USA only?

Don't know why, because I don't think anyone ever expect Windows 8 or Windows RT do break any records. Though as far as desktops OSes go only Windows 7 has ever sold better than Windows 8 to this point.
It's also worth to note that the only desktop OS to compete with Windows is Windows. It's not like you can go out and buy Mac OS X and install it onto your desktop PC.

Back