What Bosses Can and Can't See On Your Smartphone

HardOCP News

[H] News
This article breaks down what your employer can and cannot see on your personal smartphones that you use for work. Tech savvy people know all this but we all have a friend / family member (or two) that could benefit from this list.

Overall, 15 percent of workers aren't even sure if their employer can access any of the data on their personal smartphones and tablets they use for work, while 44 percent know they can, but don't know exactly what they can see.

Eh well,

I don't think this entirely covers the whole spectrum of possibilities. This is assuming they use a specific set of employee tracking apps, as opposed to more nefarious and/or in-depth apps that DO allow you to see texts from the device, etc. Which leads to the honest/dishonest employer thing and how far they would stoop.

If you are using employer provided equipment, just assume they can see everything.

If you are using employer provided equipment, just assume they can see everything.

Nope. I have an employer provided iphone and phone plan, but they cannot read my imessages. I also use skype to make sure my private conversations are encrypted data. But regular text messages, sure they can read that, they just need to ask the service provider for records.

Eh well,

I don't think this entirely covers the whole spectrum of possibilities. This is assuming they use a specific set of employee tracking apps, as opposed to more nefarious and/or in-depth apps that DO allow you to see texts from the device, etc. Which leads to the honest/dishonest employer thing and how far they would stoop.

Oddly this was done by MobileIron. My employer is rolling out MobileIron for their BYOD inititive. All text messages are logged with that software. MobileIron is pretty intrusive. I'm told (haven't personally verified) that it can copy files (ex pics and videos) as well.

I've been campaigning against the rollout of this software and pushing a return to Exchange Activesync. It covers the majority of their security concerns and MobileIron can't cover the rest.

It's one thing to do in depth monitoring on company property; one should never expect any privacy on that. It's another to (in my case) force the employee to use their personal device and put this kind of monitoring software on it. Most everyone in my office carries two phones now. When Samsung's Knox is available for the phone I want, I'll be upgrading and consolidating.

Nope. I have an employer provided iphone and phone plan, but they cannot read my imessages. I also use skype to make sure my private conversations are encrypted data. But regular text messages, sure they can read that, they just need to ask the service provider for records.

Depends on the policy of the company you work for really, and how deep they look into what they can do with that particular device.

Depends on the policy of the company you work for really, and how deep they look into what they can do with that particular device.

Its not a large company. The phone comes unmolested from the provider, and no one works here who has the time or inclination to hack their way into an iphone.

I would never let something like MebileIron on my personal devices. The company can provide me with what I need to do work on if they want to put something like that on it.

Oddly this was done by MobileIron. My employer is rolling out MobileIron for their BYOD inititive. All text messages are logged with that software. MobileIron is pretty intrusive. I'm told (haven't personally verified) that it can copy files (ex pics and videos) as well.

I've been campaigning against the rollout of this software and pushing a return to Exchange Activesync. It covers the majority of their security concerns and MobileIron can't cover the rest.

It's one thing to do in depth monitoring on company property; one should never expect any privacy on that. It's another to (in my case) force the employee to use their personal device and put this kind of monitoring software on it. Most everyone in my office carries two phones now. When Samsung's Knox is available for the phone I want, I'll be upgrading and consolidating.

This is a myth, I operate the console for my organization. The only platform that affords MI that kind of granularity would be up coming versions of MI and Windows 8

With Mobile Iron ,I can see that you have angry birds but not your score.

With Mobile Iron ,I can see that you have angry birds but not your score.

In my organization we are not forcing anyone to use MobileIron, its a choice. If you want access to corporate email and calendar sync, you can Boyd. If there is a real need and you have an issue with Boyd then your department should recognize it and provide a company device. Nobody has a gun to their head.

Back